Thread: Concerns about shipping a pup?

Default Concerns about shipping a pup?

I was hoping the folks might be willing to chip in their two cents. I am looking at getting a WPG pup from a breeder in Montanta. The breeder has been been really helpful in all ways. She mentioned though that she is reluctant to ship the pup to Alaska in the belly of the plane. She would prefer that I fly down to Montana and accompany the pup back with him under the seat (like a cat or small dog). Her concern is that standard shipping in the belly might place too much stress on the pup and possibly interfere with future crate training.

While I am not opposed to this outright, I am not sure that it makes a big difference. 6-7 hours in a crate with strange smells and sounds is 6-7 hours in a crate with strange smells and sounds, regardless if I am there or not. In fact, I might argue that it might be better for me NOT to be there so that he doesn't associate the ordeal with me. It's not like I will be able to take him for a walk around the cabin if he is upset.

To help mitigate the stress of shipping I thought I could ship his crate down a couple of weeks early and get him used to it as a familiar and safe place.

Thoughts?
    Jeff

I had my lab pup shipped from South Dakota via Alaska air in March of 2010 and everything went well... He was a bit shook up at the beginning but recovered within a day or two. They actually take them out of their cages to potty whenever the plane stops.
    I do know that it needs to be a certain temp outside or they won't ship animals, I think it was 20 above but am not completely sure.

-akiceman25

Have had pups spend all day on a plane and some a couple DAYS in a dog hauling trailer. Doesnt hurt a thing. When a breeder doesnt want to ship, that really makes me question their ability to evaluate potential breeding stock to begin with...

Shipped ours down to Bama and back when the wife went out of state to school last year. No problems at all except the aforementioned weather constraints. The hangup we had was with it being too hot in the deep south. No dog shipping in/out of the south between May and oct/nov time frame. The pup was just really really happy to be home when picked up! Make sure you have a airline crate where the top screws on and not the ones with the plastic clips as they won't take them. Get the dog used to the crate prior to shipping and all will be fine. Even without much crate time prior to the trip I have little doubt the ordeal would not have any lasting effects.

Like the other posters have stated, I've had several pups shipped via Alaska Airline and none of them seemed to have suffered from it. Congratulations on your new pup, however it comes to Alaska!

Jim

I don't know about the temperament of a WPG, but my 4 month old Lab came from Tennessee, and was not let out of the crate during the 5 hr layover in Minneapolis. She was in there about 16 hrs all together, but had no problems with the crate after that. Still loves to go in it, it's her cave.

Same with all the others. My setter has suffered no ill effects from shipping/flying. He came to Alaska from WI, was here for awhile, then shipped to MN for training, and then I went down and picked him up (we flew together back to Alaska, he was under the plane). I have seen some breeders who refuse to ship, and I just donít get it. Iím glad they show concern for their pups, but don't get their theory as to how this is such a detrimental thing. My dog loves his kennel, and travels very well. Of all the things that pups are exposed to over the course of their first few years, how is this any worse?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

As also stated, if pup has to long of a layover, they are required to take pup out for potty breaks. There are also some temperature restrictions to look at, if the airline does not have an inside holding facility. I shipped my dog in the dead of winter (pretty cold), and because he was in his kennel in an inside facility, I had no problem with the temp issue (Fbx to MSP) MN has an inside holding facility. The belly of the plane is climate controlled.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I recently had my ESS pup shipped up from Nebraska thru Delta airlines. I was very impressed with their service. She arrived clean and dry and happy as can be. Heck, Delta even put one of their airline blankets inside the kennel too.

I am glad to hear about all the great reports, but my experience was not great. I got my dog ( GSP/ Lab mix) from S. Dakota (shipped to Maine) this time last year, she was a yr old. She did not like the trip and still does not like her crate. If I were to do it all over again I would have the breeder give the dog some drugs to keep her calm for the trip. One of my neighbors suggested this but I did not ask. I should have.

If the pup has been introduced to the "world" & exposed to different things, shipping him/her Montana to Alaska shouldn't be a problem. In June 2008 my then 8 week old Chessie pup was shipped Denver to Fairbanks, en route close to 12 hours, arrived in a clean crate, and with tail wagging. Booked her on non-stop Denver to Seattle, then Seattle to Fairbanks flights, with the minimum 2 hours between flights required by Alaska Airlines. She was used to & comfortable in her crate prior to being shipped, so that was no big deal. The cost was $156.40 -- the $150 minimum fee, plus $6.40 tax.

Here are a couple links to information about shipping live animals on Alaska Airlines - http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...ve-Animals.asp and http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...al-Express.pdf

Karen

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the valuable input. I talked to the breeder again yesterday and I hope we'll be able to work something out. One person's experience notwithstanding, I'm glad to get some confirmation that this wasn't somehting I was brushing off too easily.
    Thanks!

I travel with my Golden to and from Texas a few times a year. Alaska Airlines is the easiest when travelling along. Continental treats dogs as air freight and doesn't use the passenger terminal. Not bad but not convenient if you're travelling together. All airlines have policies for dog types, temperatures they'll allow travel in, etc. You need to review the carrier's rules since they aren't all the same. Their rates vary, too. I think Alaska is up to $125 one way for a large kennel. When I go to or from Texas the dog is NOT let out of the kennel at intermediate stops unless there's a missed connection with significant delays. That's never happened. For us that means the dog will be in the box for 12-13 hours. Now that she's 4 years old? She loves it when the kennel comes out because she knows she's going somewhere. The first couple of airport trips she was nervous but now she's a happy girl to kennel-up after the TSA inspection. She's never had an accident in the box so far, either. My vet allows one milligram per pound of dog weight of standard Benedryl as a "relaxant" if needed but the airlines don't want drugged dogs. Do not use Benedryl with decongestant, or so I've been warned.

Last time I shipped a pup from Twin Cities, MN, I found somebody traveling this way so she was accompanied. That cost substantially less than freight, and assured the pup a place in the aircraft. A small enough pup can fit under the seat as carry on baggage.
    Don't forget, to most of the rest of the world, AK is a foreign and inhospitable place. People are afraid to believe differently. If the dog ends up w/ a problem, it was going to have the same issue, like you said, whether you were on the plane or not.
    And yes, that lab pup I shipped last got here in perfect shape, ready to rock and roll. She still loves the crate and still loves to travel.
    ARR

My two dogs fly at least twice a year and have never had any problems. One urinated in his crate once during a flight, but he was fine after a bath and it has only happened once out of the probably twelve to fifteen flights they have had.

Bought a Chessie from a Montana breeder last year. They were more than prepared to ship - do it all the time and they made sure she came in a climate controlled area. I am a bit confused why a breeder would not be prepared for that. There is an embargo on shipping animals to AK between certain dates, so check airline websites. I think it is like December 21-Jan 4 or something for most of them. Anyway, she was well cared for and arrived energetic and clean. Not a single sign that she was in any way traumatized or upset, but then again, she is a Chessie.

My sister shipped a Weimaraner a few years ago and said he was badly shaken up and would not come out of his crate. Took a few days to get him back to normal.

I think it depends on the dog and on the airline's handling, but overall, mine was a great experience.

I've shipped pups several times via air without a problem. Even on long flights with layovers and plane switches. Talk with the carrier and see what their procedure is, they are all different. Put something absorbant in the bottom of the crate in case the pup can't hold it, check temp limits the airports and carriers require and ship it. No problem, will be happy to see you even if you are a stranger. We did have a parblem with a older lab, shipped and he was in the crate for like 16 hrs, took him out inside the terminal to make it easier to handle the crate and he immediately pooped and left a trail of poop all the way out of the anchorage terminal, got a lot of laughs. Bud
    Wasilla