Thread: 22-250 ammo

Default 22-250 ammo

Ok fellas, i have a custom 22-250 on a choate stock i have been shooting pmc 55 grain BTHP out of for the last few years and love this combo for accuracy and knock down power. As my old partner back home Lance Homman used to say, It's easier to sew a hole shut than track a marginally hit coyote. How ever up here i have not been able to find any of this ammo. Here are the questions i have for you.
    Where is the best place to buy ammo here, im in anchorage.
    What do you think about stepping up to a heavier bullet ( wolfs seem to be better built then the good old flatland coyotes im used to shooting )
    How many of you use a light for night hunting and what type gun mounted or hand held by a partner?
    thanks

Forgot to add that i would like to stay with a BTHP bullet or something close to it. The ballistic tips seem to splash a little to much for me if ya know what i mean.

There is alot of quality ammo here for that rifle. If I was buying ammo I would go with the Winchester ballistic silver tip. I know it's not a hollow point but it will drop a coyote or wolf no problem. I load that same 55g bullet and get my best accuracy with it and Varget powder. .29" 5 shot group at 100yds measered with calibers. Sportsmans warehouse has a good selection of different ammo. I wouldn't go to much bigger unless if your already happy with the 55g. Wolf will fall as fast as coyote with a well placed shot.

What twist is your barrel? Nothing wrong with 55 gr. bullets for wolves if your rifle likes them and you do your part. If you step up to a heavier bullet, you may find that your barrel wasn't made for it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

If it's custom it is most likely 1:12 twist. As bliss stated heavier bullets won't stabilize and as a general rule of thumb over 55 grain would be too heavy. YMMV.

Try asking this question in the "shooting " or "reloading " section on these forums. You may find a reloader that could refill your cases and have the best of both worlds. Good luck and thanks for your service.