Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for Murphy - gun talk :)

Default Just for Murphy - gun talk :)

I bought a brand new bear protection pistol about 3 months ago because I absolutely hate my S&W 329PD 44 Mag. That gun is the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It has less than a thousand rounds thru it and it seems like you have to send it back to S&W everytime you hit the 500 round mark if you shoot mags in it. If you shoot 44 specials in it, I think it would last a lifetime and it's actually fun to shoot with 44 specials.

OK, my new gun (tried and tested by the way) is a Ruger super redhawk in 454 Casull with a 7 1/2 barrel and I am so impressed with this gun for accuracy and comfort in shooting heavey bear loads that I just want to pee myself. My son gave me crap when I bought it with the long barrel cuz he thought it would be too cumbersum to carry in a chest holster compared to a short barreled pistol. I carried that sucker on my chest for 6 weeks steady hunting this fall and the extra weight didn't bother me a bit. The glory part of the extra weight is the fact I trust the gun to work with bear loads and not leave me with a broken gun like the S&W did a few times.

I sited this gun in at the Birchwood Range the 1st week I had it and this thing is as accurate at 100 yards as it is at 25 yards. I'm not a bit sorry for buying this gun now knowing how deadly accurate it is on every shot.
    I'm not a bit afraid to go in the woods now, just knowing i have a gun I can count on and didn't break on my last shot, unbeknown to me like that 329 piece of Titanium crap....

OH ya and my son gave me alot of crap about the long barrel and heavier gun for chest holster, but you know what? No matter what gun you carry on your chest, the bulk is the same basically, so my thought is if I kill the bear with this gun at 50 yards instead of the 20 or 25 yards it would take with the 329, I'll take the extra weight for a killer gun.

OK Murphy, carry on dude.....lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I had a 3" 629. I hated it. Traded is for a 7 1/2" Super redhawk 454. I sent it off to a guy in Pensylvannia to get the barrel chopped to 4.25" and get the cylinder machined to accept moon clips. When done, it will be able to shoot, 454, 45 LC, 45 acp and 460 rowland. Way more versatile than a 44 mag with 44 specials. Shoot it with the 45 acp to get good feel for the gun and load it with the heavy hitters for the tough stuff. Mine will look like this when done. I can't wait to get it back

Phoneman,

Every time I look at that pistol you posted, the only thing that comes to mind is Wow! What a sweet pistol. I've never been too keen on pistols as I've always carried nice carbine rifles throwing big bullets. Recently I've been doing vegetative studies and intertidal zone marine ecosystem studies in the field with other people. I sometimes find myself crouching down all day picking up various organisms and plants, soil samples, taking measurements, collecting other types of samples and writing down notes. This busy work makes a rifle cumbersome, and I'm leaning more and more towards a pistol the more I think about it. Never had a reason for a pistol before, but pictures like the one you posted are gonna change my ways!

I used to carry an all stainless Sig Saur 45 acp because it was all I had. The fmj 45's would go clean though a rabbit with no meat damage. They would sometimes still be alive! I would bring that pistol when I hiked to my property. They make very very cheap small game bullets. You are very wise to consider all the useful opportunistic possibilities of the set-up you're getting built.

My crazy drunk partying aunt used to work for S&W. She probably built ole Grizz's pistol on a Monday when she was hung over from an entire weekend of binge drinking Ship Yahd Ale and fighting other women. She has no work ethic when she's hung over with a black eye and a patch of hair missing off her nasty sculp. If they'll hire someone like my wild aunt, they might benefit from sharing a manufacturing plant with Browning over in Miroku, Japan. Or heck.........even with the plant in Japan that makes those ultra accurate Howa rifles!

My SRH looks like a beater now.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I too love my Ruger Super, mine is in 480 Ruger, and sent it to Wildwest Guns for their Wolverine treatment. I really like the moon clip option too. I can carry two different loads and can easily exchange them as needed. Mine also had the barrel cut to 4 5/8. It is a dream to carry, I use either a pancake holster or the Alaska chest holster. The chest holster comes with an option for speed loaders and they work very well with the moon clips. You can see it in my Avatar. Jim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I bought a brand new bear protection pistol about 3 months ago because I absolutely hate my S&W 329PD 44 Mag. That gun is the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It has less than a thousand rounds thru it and it seems like you have to send it back to S&W everytime you hit the 500 round mark if you shoot mags in it. If you shoot 44 specials in it, I think it would last a lifetime and it's actually fun to shoot with 44 specials.

OK, my new gun (tried and tested by the way) is a Ruger super redhawk in 454 Casull with a 7 1/2 barrel and I am so impressed with this gun for accuracy and comfort in shooting heavey bear loads that I just want to pee myself. My son gave me crap when I bought it with the long barrel cuz he thought it would be too cumbersum to carry in a chest holster compared to a short barreled pistol. I carried that sucker on my chest for 6 weeks steady hunting this fall and the extra weight didn't bother me a bit. The glory part of the extra weight is the fact I trust the gun to work with bear loads and not leave me with a broken gun like the S&W did a few times.

I sited this gun in at the Birchwood Range the 1st week I had it and this thing is as accurate at 100 yards as it is at 25 yards. I'm not a bit sorry for buying this gun now knowing how deadly accurate it is on every shot.
    I'm not a bit afraid to go in the woods now, just knowing i have a gun I can count on and didn't break on my last shot, unbeknown to me like that 329 piece of Titanium crap....

OH ya and my son gave me alot of crap about the long barrel and heavier gun for chest holster, but you know what? No matter what gun you carry on your chest, the bulk is the same basically, so my thought is if I kill the bear with this gun at 50 yards instead of the 20 or 25 yards it would take with the 329, I'll take the extra weight for a killer gun.

I'm glad to hear that.

I've always liked long barrels too.

(For ease of shooting, including recoil.) which, IMO, outweighs any perceived disadvantages in carry.

I don't mind packin my 44/6" barrel.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I very much agree with your new choice. The ultra light is not a durable bear gun. I would like to have one to carry for social occasions but not as a wilderness gun. And yes I'd prefer the 44 special model.

There are advantages to the longer heavier gun and advantages of centerline carry. The weight is unnoticed because it isn't one sided or lop-sided. I would still prefer something about 5" in barrel but then I don't carry front and center. I have a 5.5" RedHawk. It is a good compromise for me in sight radius, weight and overall size for field use. I do think the RH or SRH are extremely rugged and durable guns that can take a bunch of abuse. I do like the modified version on display on this thread with its multi-caliber capability. That's smart from several perspectives. All the power we need plus all the versatility.

I have my 5.5" 45 Colt RH with an extra cylinder, stuffed in to my break-out bag along with my Chris Reeve "Yarborough" knife and several other assorted goodies. It has a few modifications in sights and trigger function and is a very accurate piece.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post

Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

when mine gets back, i'm gonna get dave johnson at diamond D to make me a guides choice for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    My crazy drunk partying aunt used to work for S&W. She probably built ole Grizz's pistol on a Monday when she was hung over from an entire weekend of binge drinking Ship Yahd Ale and fighting other women.
    So she was a "county girl" from around Houlton?

My ex-wife is a county girl from up there. I miss her...... but then some days I don't.......

As for the ease of packing, we got into that as well doing field work. A rifle or 870 leaning against a tree or left in the truck/ATV/boat does you no good when you need it. I wish I could handle the recoil of something funner than a .44, but these small hands keep me limited.

Murphy and Crowd:

Wadda bout velocity loss in a shorter barrel?

Seems like folks wanna load HOT, and get the last fps, but don't even consider the loss from a shorter barrel.

I'd just as soon use a longer barrel, then I could use safer, more manageable loads.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default odds are...

Due to "ease of packing" odds are you are much more likely to have a 329 PD with you than a larger handgun that requires a holster. My 329 PD is in my pocket a lot more than my 4" .500 is in my shoulder holster simply because of size and weight - I can drop my 329 PD in my jacket or pants pocket with ease and it stays with me around camp or on a casual trip into the woods.

Comparing a 329 PD to a much larger handgun of twice the weight and size is hardly an apples to apples comparison - they are obviously different guns for some overlapping purposes. I find my 4" .500 to be a good a good choice if weight and size are less important and the loads and heavy bullets I shoot out of it makes Rugers whimper and hide yet it weighs only a few ounces more. A Ruger Redhawk in .454 would be a good power/weight ratio but they don't make them and like the 329 PD they may suffer under a heavy diet of maximum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    As for the ease of packing, we got into that as well doing field work. A rifle or 870 leaning against a tree or left in the truck/ATV/boat does you no good when you need it. I wish I could handle the recoil of something funner than a .44, but these small hands keep me limited.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If my Alaskan ain't in a holster its in my back pocket un-noticed untill I set down. Shooting things closer makes up for loss plus it overkill or underkill anyway
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Murphy and Crowd:

Wadda bout velocity loss in a shorter barrel?

Seems like folks wanna load HOT, and get the last fps, but don't even consider the loss from a shorter barrel.

I'd just as soon use a longer barrel, then I could use safer, more manageable loads.

Smitty of the North
    Shorter barrels do loose velocity. It can't be avoided and short is a relative term. Obviously a 4" can't be expected to give the velocity of a 6 or 7" gun. There is a compromise in portability, this isn't from weight as much as from barrel length and getting in the way. How you carry will make a difference. That center chest holster can accommodate longer barrels with little or no interference from pack or slung rifle. Also when using heavier bullets, higher velocity isn't needed and short barrel performance with the heaviest bullets gives up up very little needed penetration and tissue destruction. Life is a compromise. I don't see the thinking behind the notion of a heavy gun may be left in the truck. I'd be more likely to leave my boots behind than my gun. I've only known of one human who went hunting and "forgot" his gun and he was an idiot!! The idea of carrying a big bore heavy get the job done handguns is so we can leave the rifle back at the truck, airplane or boat. So the likely-hood of someone leaving the big old revolver back at camp is rather silly. If I had a 329, 44 mag, I might carry it in a jacket pocket but I would cary a real gun that I could hunt with when I went off among the big furry things. I say hunting because I believe that any serious wilderness handgun that you would carry for bear protection would need to qualify as a gun you could effectively use for hunting bears. Immediate access to the gun you carry is of utmost importance and whether we use rifle or handgun it must be a quick presentation and we must have the ability to shoot it effectively very quickly. Otherwise we might as well leave it back at the truck.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Carrying a handgun in Alaska is usually different from carrying a handgun in the lower 48. Where others carry handguns for protection against 2 legged beasts we carry handguns for protections against 2 AND 4 legged beasts. Where lightweight compact carry pistols are the rage down south we need large caliber pistols that we can carry year round up here. Even in town there are moose and bears on the popular trails and in our yards. Then there is fishing, hiking, and other outdoor activiites where you can run up on a big beast at anytime and long guns are just too awkward to tote around.

I usually carry either my 329 PD or my 4" .500 but I won't hunt with either - they are intended strictly as close range protection. I have longer barreled pistols for hunting. The 329 PD is with me many times where it is just too inconvient to strap on the .500. The .44 may not be as readily accessable but at least I have it with me - the .500 comes off when I get back to camp; it is just to big and heavy to pack around all the time. Also in town I suspect the .500 would also get quite a few stares from the tourist while the 329 resides unnoticed in my pocket.

Hunting with handguns is another subject with different guns. I do carry my 329 PD while hunting; it is light to carry and can effectively finish off a downed wounded animal if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Shorter barrels do loose velocity. It can't be avoided and short is a relative term. Obviously a 4" can't be expected to give the velocity of a 6 or 7" gun. There is a compromise in portability, this isn't from weight as much as from barrel length and getting in the way. How you carry will make a difference. That center chest holster can accommodate longer barrels with little or no interference from pack or slung rifle. Also when using heavier bullets, higher velocity isn't needed and short barrel performance with the heaviest bullets gives up up very little needed penetration and tissue destruction. Life is a compromise. I don't see the thinking behind the notion of a heavy gun may be left in the truck. I'd be more likely to leave my boots behind than my gun. I've only known of one human who went hunting and "forgot" his gun and he was an idiot!! The idea of carrying a big bore heavy get the job done handguns is so we can leave the rifle back at the truck, airplane or boat. So the likely-hood of someone leaving the big old revolver back at camp is rather silly. If I had a 329, 44 mag, I might carry it in a jacket pocket but I would cary a real gun that I could hunt with when I went off among the big furry things. I say hunting because I believe that any serious wilderness handgun that you would carry for bear protection would need to qualify as a gun you could effectively use for hunting bears. Immediate access to the gun you carry is of utmost importance and whether we use rifle or handgun it must be a quick presentation and we must have the ability to shoot it effectively very quickly. Otherwise we might as well leave it back at the truck.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Here in SC we don't have the bear problem, but like you said, situation dictates what you carry. If i'm headed to the store for something, the ruger lcp may be in my pocket or or the 337pd on my ankle. If i'm going on a long trip, the glock 27 usually accompanies me. Headed to the river or a backup hunting, the glock 10mm is the ticket(that is until i get my 454 back) Now for true handgun hunting, its the contender. I wish they would legalize the open carry here, it would be fun to walk in a store with a guides choice with the redhawk slung accross your chest. Maybe some of the hoodlums would calm down.

I swear if my wife ever leaves me, i'll be on the next plane to cordova.

I believe the women that pack a baby around on their hip all day would laugh at the notion that two pounds in a holster is to much to carry on a walk

Thanks Murphy, as always:

If a gun is so heavy, and cumbersome, that one is likely to leave it behind, I'd say, he made the wrong choice in a handgun.

OR, perhaps, he should take his wife along on outings to REMIND him, that he just might need it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

GrizzlyH, Congrats on the new purchase.

On the subject of firearm weight... I think if an extra couple ounces makes the difference between me carrying something that may be essential for the defense of my life, or not carrying it, then maybe I need to get to the gym and work out a bit more, or eat less, or go running until I loose a pound or two.

Again, congrats on your new purchase GrizzlyH!

MyTime

Default weight, size, and carry

Ease of carry is more important than the few oz of weight. Simply stated: If the gun is small and light enough to carry without strapping on a holster one tends to carry it more. "Pocket guns" have been popular for over a hundred years of so because of this tendency. Ever notice that older smaller guns tend to have a lot more wear that bigger guns?

The 329 PD and 357 PD are unique in the power to weight ratio in a quality large caliber dependable handgun. Ruger doesn't make anything to compare although they did finally come out with a small lightweight carry revolver with a FORGED frame. I sense a lot of the expressed dislike of the 329PD is from Ruger fans. These are the same guys that complain that the X frames are too big and heavy yet maintain that the Redhawk .44 isn't significantly heavier than a 329 PD. Perhaps a bit of the old sour grapes?

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    On the subject of firearm weight... I think if an extra couple ounces makes the difference between me carrying something that may be essential for the defense of my life, or not carrying it, then maybe I need to get to the gym and work out a bit more, or eat less, or go running until I loose a pound or two. MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    On the subject of firearm weight... I think if an extra couple ounces makes the difference between me carrying something that may be essential for the defense of my life, or not carrying it, then maybe I need to get to the gym and work out a bit more, or eat less, or go running until I loose a pound or two.
    I've dinked with lots of guns and lots of carry systems, including some I've made myself (I'm a long-time leather worker). Most times complaints about carry weight are really just a critique of the carry system in use.

After that, gun brand debates are Fords vs Chevies, Republicans vs Chevies. And just as interesting to folks who give a poop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast