Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Goat, Bear, Deer Hunt Persistence Pays Off

Default Kodiak Goat, Bear, Deer Hunt Persistence Pays Off

Just thought I would share some highlights from my goat,bear, deer hunt this fall on Kodiak Island. As you all know that have ever hunted Kodiak just getting in the field can be a challenge at times. We started our hunt on 20 Oct and were delayed for weather getting into the field with Seahawk Air. I must say Roland is a class act he has been flying commercial since 1979 and is one hell of a pilot if I find myself on Kodiak again I will be sure to book with him again. On our pick up day Roland shows up and says hurry up winds are getting stronger so we hustled got everything loaded and in there wiith up to 40 mph gust at times pushing the beaver around like its a paper airplane he showed great comfort reading a tide book while flying while im a bit concerned even though I have jumped out of perfectly good airplanes in the Army. When we landed I shook his hands Alaskan stlye and "said hell of a job Roland" he just smiled and said thanks humbly. So I had been lucky enough to draw a Brown bear tag, and goat tag in the same bay.We started off focusing on goats and every attempt to get to them seem to be an obstacle weather, fog, or just not being able to close the distance after the 3rd attempt I was able to close the distance and take a mature billy unofficial measurement im guesing will be 9 1/2 -10 in. I got in position and the closest I could get was 425 yds we were at 2500 ft and the snow was coming down, and I let the 300 ultra mag bark my first shot missed its mark so I took aim again and wounded the billy hitting him in his shoulder. I then hit him again and still he was on his feet what a tough old fellow. The final shot I took was at 200 yds and he fell off a cliff about 200 feet to his death.To make it bitter sweet it was the last day of the season 415 pm to be exact goes to show hard work does pay off with persistence. I couldn't have done it without a solid hunting partner tiger 15 (Terry) he stayed optimistic and driven as it was his own tag I couldn't have had a better friend to share the expiernece. We then focused on getting him a solid blacktail buck and also searched for the elusive kodiak brown bear which we never found in 10 days. We had a great time taken 2 nice bucks and a billy hunting hard for 10 days I must say if you can hunt Kodiak you can hunt anywhere as the alders and the weather would be enough to keep the weak minded in the tent. The artic oven a08 kept us in high spirits warm and bucked 60 mph winds at times.Our best meal was blacktail tenderloin with red potatoes cokked up stew style. Living my dream once again in Alaska very thankful for being able to take 3 fine animals without loss or injury.Again thanks to my buddy Terry which I hope he will share his version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

One heck of a year you had. Congrats on another great hunt!

Whoa! Alot to be read between the lines here. What a tough hunt. It looks by the looks of that goat it took a dirty tumble.

Way to put it together and strap on your boots. Congratulations again on a great AK adventure.

congratlations on a kodiak adventure

Congrats Big, and pard. You must have spent all your huntin money by now............for the year?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

To me it makes it worth more when you work for it,salute.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A trip you will always remember. Nice going.

Thanks for sharing you adventure. When are the bears denned up on kodiak? When you day never found, are you meaning you didn't take one or you didn't see any at all? Congrats on a wonderful trophy.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Great job Tim!! You had and outstanding year! See you soon

Thanks for the story.

Sounds like a great hunt, congrats!! Some of the finest meat this
    Great state has to offer.

One word....awesome....
    Proud to be an American!

Congratulations on an exciting hunt.

Congrats for sure - good hunt, good partner, great memories!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congrats, on some fine animals there,
    and "pulling off," what sounds like,
    "the Real Deal hunting Alaska," experience

The Alders, and Steeps, Wind, Snow, etc.
    Fresh meat on the stove in a warm tent,...

Flat Out Awe Inspiring,.....and makes for great story too
    thanks for posting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congrats tim! That's a nice Billy! I'll have to get the whole story when I see u back at work. Someone on this forum once said that there are hunters, and then there are killers. You sir are a killer for sure. Nice job man!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.276234,-148.692072

Sounds like a heck of a hard but rewarding hunt. Great job Tim.

Congrats to you and Terry, Tim, what a great story and hunt, thanks for posting.

Default Awesome Kodiak Adventure Part 1

Tim's title says it best, Persistence! After being delayed the first day getting into the field, we had one more day of anticipation of bears, goats and deer! By the time we landed got the tent set up and the boat put together, we were trolling the bay getting a lay of the land and coming up with a game plan for getting into goat country.

Kodiak Home.jpg Boat ready to go.jpg

As Tim stated the weather did not always cooperate, but the AO8 took the storms like a champ and provided us with some nice, relaxing warmth as we waited for the storms to pass to go on the chase again. We eventually made four trips up the mountain after the goat before our hard work and dedication paid off. As Tim can attest to, I am not a fan of vertical climbs (fear of mine), but I was not going to let me fear be the reason I did not do everything possible to help my partner get his goat. I battled through the fear and was with him every step of the climb. Although it was his tag and I did not pull the trigger, I feel as if that goat will always be a trophy of mine as well. What an impressive animal and I could not have asked for a better experience for attending my first ever goat hunt.

We then focused the next few days on deer, hunting some ridges until we found what we eventually nicknamed the "Honey Hole"! We found a nice bowl about 1.5 miles from the beach at about 1800ft. We figured there was probably very little pressure from other hunters being this far from the beach. The first day we started spotting deer immediately popping out of the alders and brush. As luck would have it the weather had other plans for us and the fog rolled in quickly and forced us back to camp. The second day we pushed back into the bowl and slowly made out way through the alders and brush. We walked up on the buck I shot (pictured in Tim's OP). We made quick work of him and had in secured in out packs and decided to sit and glass for awhile. Not long after settling down, we say a beautiful buck sky-lined on top of the bowl. Tim made his stalk and within minutes we had a second buck down. To top things off, as we looked back towards the bay, we had two humpback whales jumping and surfacing in the bay. What a cool way to spend the evening mountainside in Kodiak than to have to nice bucks in the packs and whales playing off in the distance.

Default Awesome Kodiak Adventure Part 2

After we got back to camp, we took of the care of the meat for the night and the next morning we got to work on a meat pole. We eventually built a tepee style meat pole and covered the meat with a tarp.

Meat Pole before tarp.jpg

We were definitely blessed the last full day of hunting with the best weather we saw the entire hunt. The blue sky appeared and provided us with some very memorable views to end the hunt on a good note.

Last full day before take out.jpg

We went to sleep that last night with mixed emotions, glad to be going home, but saddened to have to leave such a beautiful place of Alaska. Little did we know as we had our last thoughts before sleep that mother nature had one more adventure for us. We awoke to the all to familiar sounds of heavy winds pounded the AO8. We definitely had our doubts of being picked up that morning, even when Roland circled above us four times, before making the final approach to land. We got loaded and packed in the float plane in record fashion. We taxied around the bay for what felt like 30 minutes waiting for the winds to die down enough to lift off the water. As soon as we were air born, Roland was already making preparations for the landing, reading tide charts, talking windy approaches with us. We touched down in Kodiak with no issues and without a doubt it was due to over 30 years of flying experience. This hunt will be a great memory of mine for a very long time. I must say thanks to my hunting partner Tim for trusting in me enough to let me tag along for an "Awesome Kodiak Adventure!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast