Thread: Interesting underwater sport Crabbing (Dungies) Video

Default Interesting underwater sport Crabbing (Dungies) Video

So I belong to a kayak association for the Pacific Northwest. A guy set is gopro onto the crab line and took these videos of Dungies coming to the trap. It was interesting to me because I had never seen the actual crabs entering the pot. You can see how they come in from one direction. I first thought it was down current but they continue to come in from one side after the current changes. So not sure about that.

the other thing he realized was that like may people he hung the crab bait from the top of the cage. But you can see how many crabs just sit their and feed on it then go away without getting caught. It certainly looks like a better deal to pin the bait on the bottom but he is still experimenting.

I wonder if the same thing applies to shrimp? A little harder to get shrimp on vid with the depths. I found it interesting so I thought I would share.

That's very cool.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

A way to keep that bait off the roof of the pot is by using rings placed on the top and bottom. Attach top of the bait bag to top ring and run a bunny off the bottom of th bag through the bottom ring and clip it off to the side. Bait bag suspends in the middle of the pot and the crab have to go in to get at it. That's how I have done it commercially. Hope that helps. I will try and draw a diagram and post it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    A way to keep that bait off the roof of the pot is by using rings placed on the top and bottom. Attach top of the bait bag to top ring and run a bunny off the bottom of th bag through the bottom ring and clip it off to the side. Bait bag suspends in the middle of the pot and the crab have to go in to get at it. That's how I have done it commercially. Hope that helps. I will try and draw a diagram and post it.

Bungy not bunny

Piscor Ergo Sum

love to see the insects of the sea hard at work down there. very interesting!
    Semper Fi!

Wow very cool. I always wanted to do this with a shrimp pot, but I doubt there's much useful light past 100 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post

That makes a lot of sense. They were munching the bait from the side as well. Definitely will give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    Wow very cool. I always wanted to do this with a shrimp pot, but I doubt there's much useful light past 100 ft.
    Filming shrimp at 500ft would be tough. Not only the light but the pressure. I think the go pro I have is rated to 180 ft.

The guy also has a really cool vid of a ling eating his greenling bait I think in WA at 40 ft.

I have a not so great test vid that shows rockfish at around 70 ft. Gives you a sense of the lighting at different depths.

Ling vid.

Rockfish test vid that I think I had posted earlier.

Looks to me like the buoyline is tight(floating?) the top of the pot up(mesh pot) and pulling the bait bag up with it. I'd just hang the bag on the bottom of the pot then they have to go in to eat. To my way of thinking(not always the best way!!) if the bag is hanging between the tunnels the crab or shrimp may just sit on the tunnel and eat, not go in the pot. Guess that depends on how big the pot is though.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Awesome video. Also cool to see the fish it attracts milling around with the crabs.
    Looks like alot of crabs feeding but not alot getting caught in the trap. Thanks again for sharing.
    BK

Great INTEL! Those crabs in the pot definitely know they're caught...

Thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Great INTEL! Those crabs in the pot definitely know they're caught...
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. I used to think long soaks were good since I thought once caught they'd Just stupidly hang out and keep eating. But this video showed me they eat for a while and then just take off. The ones caught after a while showed no interest in the bait but just scrambled around and I swear you could hear them saying "how the F do I get out!?!?!?!"

I was actually surprised to see none got out.

Always interesting to see little details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this vid was a 4 hour soak condensed into this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting, I am going to totally re think how I hang my bait from now on!

Cool video but that is the worst designed pot I have ever seen, with the worst bait system I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Cool video but that is the worst designed pot I have ever seen, with the worst bait system I have ever seen.
    Pretty much Yeah!