Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Nosler M48 TGR In 7mm-08 Is Here

Default My Nosler M48 TGR In 7mm-08 Is Here

Here are some pictures, will be going to the range tomorrow or Thursday to begin work with my rifle and will report shooting and load results in the near future.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

More pictures:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A few more:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Now that is a pretty gun!

Thanks, here are the stats
    Proven Nosler Model 48 barreled action
    Match-grade Pac-Nor chrome moly barrel (hand lapped)
    2 Position Safety
    Crisp, custom 3-pound Rifle Basix trigger
    Custom aluminum-bedded Bell and Carlson™ composite stock
    CERAKOTE™ and Micro Slick™ finishes to prevent corrosion and intrusive weather damage
    Weighs 7.7 pounds with bases, rings and Weaver 6x
    Accuracy guarantee of sub M.O.A three-shot groups at 100 yards*
    Enlarged trigger guard to accommodate a gloved hand.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice rifle you got there. You going to try the Accubonds? Seems fitting being a Nosler product. Also, is that a Weaver scope?

Very nice! About the only difference I see between that and my M48 Sporter is the stock and bottom metal (or lack thereof).

Can't wait to see how it shoots...betting it will be outstanding.

I see another beartooth "one ragged hole" picture or two headed our way soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice rifle you got there. You going to try the Accubonds? Seems fitting being a Nosler product. Also, is that a Weaver scope?

I go through my barrel work and pre-load work then I generally have an idea of what the barrel likes. I will be trying 120gr BT, 130gr M/K HP, 139gr Hornady, 140gr Accubond, 140gr Sierra SBT, 145gr Speer SBT and 150gr BT to gauge what my barrel really likes. It will be fun and interesting at the same time.

It is a 6x power Weaver.

I will be chronographing my loads using the following powders to begin with.

RL-17

W 760

H414

IMR 4895

H4350

RL-15

BL-C2

W748

H380

These will be the ones I test first.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Very nice! About the only difference I see between that and my M48 Sporter is the stock and bottom metal (or lack thereof).

Can't wait to see how it shoots...betting it will be outstanding.
    Thanks and that is the only difference
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I see another beartooth "one ragged hole" picture or two headed our way soon...
    I am hoping that will be the case.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, I went to the range and did a barrel break-in and I know some people don't believe in break-in. I once was that way and did not believe in it either but for the last fifteen years have done it with every rifle I bought new whether factory or custom, and it has always helped me produce accurate loads (except one Ruger 30-06 that needed stock work), as apposed to when I did not practice break-in. Of course if you get good results without that is cool also.

Now what is so interesting about this M48 and my break-in is that I just put together some 120gr BT, 150gr BT and 130gr Sierra match loads but with out the special attention that I usually give to loads when I am trying to develop accuracy loads for hunting and shooting. For what I call run of the mill hand loads this rifle really shoots good. I can't wait to start my load development for my hunting loads where I pay special attention to every load and all the details I consider important in getting accuracy from my hand loads.

First target is 15 shot group of 120gr BT where I shot one round then clean for 15 rounds and after a few rounds you can see it starting to settle in.

Second target is 12 shot group of 150gr BT where I shoot three rounds then clean and it was looking good also.

Third target is two five shot groups with 130gr M/K HP where I shoot five then clean then adjust the scope 1/4" and shoot the next five without a fouling round. The five shot group to the right was the first five shot group and the second five group is the one on the left.

Now let me emphasis that these were not special loads, just some loads I used to get me through what I like to do with a new barrel, and they were all different weight bullets. This rifle will be in my opinion after today's break-in, a real winner. Can't wait to get to my load work for accuracy the first of next week. All my components will not be in until Friday. Also, the Weaver 6x power did fine holding zero and moved right where I moved it. Yes, I think I will have a good time with this rifle and at only 7.7 pounds in the field and shooting as good as it does, it will be a perfect spot an stalk rifle. Yes, glad I bought it. I will post results of my accuracy load work towards the end of next week.

I need to get it out of the way as Jordan and I will be hunting in Arizona the third week in November, then I will hunt in Tenn the first week, and the second week of December south of Baton Rouge, La. where I will be using this rifle on all three hunts.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sweet rifle!
    I just got in a Howa in 7mm.08. Not as nice as your's but I like it so far. Has the new trigger and detachable magazine.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sigler916 View Post
    Sweet rifle!
    I just got in a Howa in 7mm.08. Not as nice as your's but I like it so far. Has the new trigger and detachable magazine.
    I really like the trigger and mine does not have a detachable magazine or floor plate which is what I wanted for enhanced accuracy reasons.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT that is a nice looking critter getter for sure! Now i see a delima - you have practically worn the thing out already just breaking it in - I would be somewhat interested in taking it off your hands just to relieve the sadness you must be feeling shooting those awful, ever widening groups? Say $200 bucks and I'll even pay shipping!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You must buy a gun each week.

That would be 52, in a year, and 260, in five years.

How do you store them all?

Doesn't it take some advance planning?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    BT that is a nice looking critter getter for sure! Now i see a delima - you have practically worn the thing out already just breaking it in - I would be somewhat interested in taking it off your hands just to relieve the sadness you must be feeling shooting those awful, ever widening groups? Say $200 bucks and I'll even pay shipping!
    You are the man, what and offer, I think I will stay in my sadness for a while, but I won't forget your offer.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You must buy a gun each week.

That would be 52, in a year, and 260, in five years.

How do you store them all?

Doesn't it take some advance planning?

Smitty of the North
    I am addicted to guns, in fact here is a list of rifle cartridges I have owned and handloaded for as well as hunted with over the years except for the 32 WCF and the 44-40 in the list. Sometimes I would use 4 or five different rifles and cartridges to hunt with during a given season. My hobby of guns and handloading for them as well as hunting with them has given me some unique perspectives through out my life. I has been, is and will continue to be fun. In fact I have three more hunts planned for this year out of my state and of course there is the hunting I do when I am home during our season.

223 ***
    22-250 ***
    25-06 **
    257Wby ***
    257/300Wby
    260 **
    270 ***
    7mm-08 **
    7mm Rem Mag ****
    7mmSTW
    30 carbine **
    30-30 ***
    7.62x39 ***
    308 ***
    7.62x54
    30-06 *****
    30-06Ackley imp
    300WSM
    300Win Mag ***
    300Wby mag ****
    303 Brit **
    8x57 Mauser
    32-20 WCF
    338Win Mag **
    340Wby
    35Rem
    358Win
    35 Whelen **
    375Win
    375Wby
    416Wby
    44-40
    44mag ***
    45 colt
    444 ***
    45/70 **
    450 Marlin
    458Win mag

The * represents the number of rifles I have owned in each cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth:

I like your rifle! I am making my final decision between the Nosler rifle and the Cooper Jackson Hunter, and going with the 7mm-08 as well. May I ask what factors made you decide on the Nosler? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    BEE

My new nosler trophy grade in 325wsm arrives on nov 10 next week.,already own the sporter model in 300wsm ,great accurate gun for the money ,truly custom work,and nra members get a 400.00 dollar reduction off of list price until dec 31,2011,regards Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast