Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting at night?

Default Hunting at night?

Can you legally use a headlight/spot light at night for perdator hunting? I have looked in hunting reg and trapping reg but both say no, am I missing something? I hear of a lot of people doing it and just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Can you legally use a headlight/spot light at night for perdator hunting? I have looked in hunting reg and trapping reg but both say no, am I missing something? I hear of a lot of people doing it and just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance for any info.

You need to read the whole thing in the trapping regs...

YOU MAY NOT:
    • take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight), electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communications, cellular or satellite telephones, artificial salt lick, explosives, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over 9 inches. Exceptions: Killer-style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used and artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;

You must have a trapping license

ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!!

LuJon,

Thanks for the help. I don't remember seeing the last part in the trapping reg but I will look again. I could have just overlooked it but thanks for the help anyway.

That is a direct copy and paste out of the 2011-2012 trapping regs.

You may Trap using a rifle in Alaska too......

darkness is comming on here, 8 minutes ore each day, but with snow and moonlight , you would be suprized at how well you can track and shoot. Further north, the Darkness lasts longer.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Anybody have any pics of there light setup used for varmit hunting at night?

LuJon,

I went back and looked on line and found what you pasted. I will look at the paper trapping reg in my office in the morning just to verify that I overlooked it. Getting old sucks.

I mount a jet beam on my AR with a pressure pad.

I like that setup Grem! I have a tubular front grip on mine but I can add rails to it where needed. I think I may have to go that way? Any recommendation on where to get a good deal on that setup? I am also curious if you are using a red lens

And what kinda range do you get with that light? What kinda light is it?

is that an r-15 gremlin?

Specs are: R-15 in 223, Burris FF2 4.5-14, RRA high rise mount, Jetbeam M1X no red lens, flashlight mount is generic for 1" flashlight body.

The flashlight is utterly amazing. 450 lumens with two 18650 batteries gives me a solid 200 yards of nighttime visibility for an hour. Past 200 yards you can spot outlines but knowing exactly what you are looking at becomes tricky. I carry a spare set of batteries and a dc car charger just in case. This flashlight was hot stuff a year and a half ago, now it's blown away by flashlights sporting the latest and greatest in LED technology. Heck even the new version of the M1X and M2S are more powerful than my lowly 450 lumen M1X. Also take a look at Fenix and 4Sevens they make some fantastic lights for night hunting.

EDIT: I have tried those sub $100 night hunting spotlights sold at SW that snap onto a scope. Those are complete junk, for $40 you can have a setup that is far superior and multi purpose. The flashlight is definitely my preferred method to light up the night.

Do you keep the light on while calling, or just flash it on and off every once in a while? I was under the assumption that a white light beam would spook the critters. Am I wrong on that? I'd love to do more calling at night, but thus far have only done so by moonlight, and such nights can be few and far between.

I run a very similar light setup with just the plain LED lights. I haven't spooked a critter yet with the light. LED's are the way to go in the cold. I have a LightForce 170 setup that works great for 40 minutes, but is heavy and cumbersome to tote around with the 12 volt battery pack. Li-Ion batteries and LED's work extremely well in the cold from my experiences.

goodness.... I have a flashlight induced headache and it isn't from getting one to the eyes either! So, the Jetbeam M1X looks cool... can be found from $99 to $200+ (not sure why such a gap)... CR123 or Rechargeable 18650 batteries can be used but it isn't clear if they fit the same size body or if an extension is needed... The tape switch seems reasonable but I don't know if it works with the extension (if I need one). It seems that not all 18650 batteries are created the same, some have a nipple and some are flat on both side, they also have a wide range of MaH ratings (2200-3000).

Amazon seems to have good pricing through various sub-vendors but there is almost no description letting me know what parts I need to do what I want!

Good catch Lujon. You will need the extension to run two 18650 batteries and the pressure pad will work in that configuration.

I exclusively use AW brand 18650's 2200mah in the M1X, not sure if flattops will work or not. Although the flat tops work great in my Fenix PD31. One of the best places to buy batteries, chargers, etcetera is www.lighthound.com sometimes they provide a discount to candlepowerforum (CPF) members. Enter CPF in the coupon code box and give it a whirl.

Before you buy, research CPF for the best deals. Usually vendors on the forum give healthy discounts to CPF members.

Something else worth mentioning is be careful with 18650 batteries, they are known to explode if you install them backwards in a flashlight.

Looks like a good site. I didn't see the extension tube on there in the checking I did. The rechargeable batts seems to be the way to go for sure! I will probably go with the http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix-TK30...ns_p_3379.html and the $15 tape switch. Need to figure out the best mounting point. I think the side of the front grip rail would be the place to go for it but I have a rail top that I can put on my burris PEPR scope rings too. Only 7 more days!

Don't forget a good headlamp for scanning.

http://gretnabikes.com/item.asp?cID=1&PID=243

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Don't forget a good headlamp for scanning.

http://gretnabikes.com/item.asp?cID=1&PID=243
    Again, do you just leave the headlamp on? The constant light doesn't give away your presence to the animals?

On another note, any flashlight mounting advice for a Ruger M77?

Keep the light on all the time. The second you turn that light off, the animal sees you. Keep the shadows to a minimum and put a shroud on lights if need be too. Scan on a lower power setting and once you have eyes, keep the light on them and get the gun ready and then burn them with the bright gun light. Works every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast