Thread: colt light rifle 30-06... what is it?

Question colt light rifle 30-06... what is it?

i inherited a rifle that i'm being told is very rare and very accurate. anyone know the story?

It is an interesting story from what I have tracked down. Essentially the founder of Ultra Light Arms Melvin sold the business to Colt some time back. They initially built a great prototype based on Melvins design then ultimately the bean counters got a hold of it and started cutting corners until the production rifle wasn't at all what the rifles potential was. From what I understand Colt and Melvin butted heads and production issues pretty much killed the project off without that many rifles actually produced and sold. Eventually Melvin went on to start up his old company under the name NEW Ultra Light Arms or "NULA" as they are commonly called. Colt went on to make more revolvers. I have heard that the Colt Light Rifles will shoot anywhere from "OK" to very good, no way to tell about yours till you get it out to the range. I am sure a few other NULA fans will chime in if I messed up any parts of the story.

Here is an interesting thread on the CLR on another forum. http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...t-rifle-26229/

thanx Lu Jon, for the research and the link. i didn't know if it was a diamond or a dud. 1 person had told me saco built it and was hyperaccurate. i had checked gunbroker and they're bidding at 800-1000. initially asking more than that. in the end i still don't know if it's a big deal or not. if anyone else has more info i'd appreciate it. i'd like to sell it if it's worth enough.

I believe that Sako did assemble the rifles for colt. If your rifle shoots (and it should) then I would use it! It looks like there are between 4000-6000 total produced. You aren't very likely to meet anyone in the field carrying the same rifle.

I had one for a short while, as I began to hunger for lightweight rifles I did some reading and then sought out an '06 on Gubroker and bought it but it didn't have the "feel" I had anticipated and wasn't as light either - In my research I found that they had some early on issues with the firing pins that they resolved quickly - Melvin Forbes did in fact sell to Colt then get pissed off because of their building philosophy, bought back the rights and started NULA which is thriving today - The light rifle is well made and most are expected to be shooters, they come in 30.06, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and a few 270 win., all chrome moly

How do they compare to the old Colt-Sauer rifles
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SACO is a manufacturing complex in Maine which largely builds military weapons. They made the M-60 machine gun. Weatherby Mark V rifles were also made there. Weatherby moved away as well. Sako is a subsidiary of Beretta that is based in Finland.
    Melvin is making a semi-production rifle called the model 28 for about 1500 that will be for sale next year.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Thanks for the clarification Thomas!

I almost snagged one off Gunbroker in 300 WM for $575.00. Just didn't bid in time. There are several listed right now for 700-800 bucks. The one I looked at had the factory box that stated made in West Virginia. Not sure if that was actually the case. From what I learned online is that the guns are very light, but the key to the (N)ULA rifles was Melvin Forbes' stock and bedding system which made for a highly accurate rifle. The Colt Light Rifles apparently had/have a very basic plastic/"tupperware" stock with no special bedding. While reasonably accurate, they were nothing compared with the ULA/NULA guns made by Forbes.

The online gurus said you could send the Colt gun to Forbes/NULA and for a price he would work on the trigger and put his stock on it. In the end I bought a Kimber Montana off the rack and called it done. I figured I'm still several hundred dollars below what I would have spent to put the NULA stock + trigger work had I bought the Colt Light Rifle. The Kimber is an excellent gun and with no special reloading work, I put some bullets together and it shot just under and inch at 100 yds.

If you get the Colt, you probably have a decent gun, whether you change the stock or not.

i'm beginning to like having a gun with a story. you guys are a wealth of history. i'll put a leopold on it and fire it this spring to see what it does. thanx for all the background info.. i like that there aren't a lot of these around, apparently this is 58XX of the 6000.