Thread: Hand reaming a 22lr to WMR?

Default Hand reaming a 22lr to WMR?

Well, I got so much help here figuring how to get my "Coast to Coast Stores" 12 gauge working again that I figured I should ask about this as well. I have a couple cheap Rossi single shots w/ interchangable shotgun and .22 LR barrels. One is the kids .410 and one is a dedicated sled/truck gun in .22/20G.

Here is the reamer I was looking at:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/764...um-rimfire-wmr

It says it is set up for a tap wrench which I have used many times. Has anyone actually reamed a chamber that way? Is the reamer set up to where it stops at the proper depth or do you have to mark it somehow? Last question, can a .22LR be shot out of a .22 WMR chamber in a single shot?

At $40 for the tool then being able to convert these guns at home to a .22LR/.22WMR/.410 and a .22LR/.22WMR/20G respectively would be perfect!

A 22lr is smaller diameter than 22wmr so no you can’t do both. If I remember right the lr rim will just fit into the wmr chamber so wouldn’t light . . . then if it did it wouldn’t extract because the extractor won’t reach the lr rim.

Also I think 22lr has a slightly smaller bullet diameter so a dedicated 22lr rifle may have the smaller bore diameter making it swedge down a 22wmr. I understand combo guns like the Single-Six use the larger bore diameter, I don‘t know this for fact just heard it many times so check before you cut.

Never used a 22whm chamber reamer but all the chamber reamers I have used don’t have a stop. You use a set of gages, go and no-go, to check head space then cut a bit more and re-check until you have it right. On a little 22whm brake action gun you should be able to get by with an assortment of ammo as your gage but I’d not recommend that on anything larger that 22mag. Also you will likely need to remove the extractor and re-fit it after cutting the new chamber in a brake action.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yes, cut it by hand and go very slowly with lots of oil and clean the cut metal chips out about every 3 or 4 turns. I use a ratcheting T handle which works well. Be careful to keep the reamer aligned with the existing chamber so you don't get an egg shaped chamber. You want the chamber to be just deep enough to allow the action to close with the gauge or live round if you choose to go that way.

Yes, remove the extractor and hand fit it after you cut the chamber. I use a go gauge and cut very slowly but I suppose you can use a live 22 Mag but be very careful. Once you replace the extractor, I cut it to fit the 22 Mag rim with a Dremmel and a cut off wheel but do it VERY slowly...cut a little...try it....cut a little....try it until you get the fit you want. It does not take much metal to let the Mag case fit properly. If it is too tight....take a little more off and then polish the extractor with 220 paper.

Remember...you can always take a little more off but you can't put it back....go SLOW!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    A 22lr is smaller diameter than 22wmr so no you can’t do both. If I remember right the lr rim will just fit into the wmr chamber so wouldn’t light . . . then if it did it wouldn’t extract because the extractor won’t reach the lr rim.

Also I think 22lr has a slightly smaller bullet diameter so a dedicated 22lr rifle may have the smaller bore diameter making it swedge down a 22wmr. I understand combo guns like the Single-Six use the larger bore diameter, I don‘t know this for fact just heard it many times so check before you cut.
    I remember reading about this in an American Rifleman Magazine many long yars ago. (Back when it was an informative magazine.)

The 22 Mag has a larger diameter bullet, than a 22 LR.

The 22 LR bullet is .223, and the Mag bullet is .224.

I don't know what the barrel diameters are, BUT I believe the Mag. is larger, (Slightly) and the bullet harder. The LR bullet being softer fills the grooves, and it works fine and dandy.

When the 22 Mag first came out, if you had a 22 Mag. Single Six, they would sell you another cylinder for 22 LR, but when you had the 22 LR, SS, they would NOT sell you a Mag cylinder.

I always figgered it was a Safety Issue. I don’t know how good and idea it is to fire a Mag in a 22 LR barrel, but mabe folks are doin it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bores are different diameters. Shooting a .22 WMR in a barrel with .22 LR dimensions will probably result in increased pressures. That said, most .22 LR firearms are ridiculously stronger than required, so my guess is everything would be ok, but accuracy is likely to suffer. Proceed at your own risk and wear shooting glasses!

With the Ruger the rifling twist was a hair different and now they split the difference.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The 22 win mag has a significantly higher working pressure that 22LR. I would advise against, especially if it a semi auto

Quote Originally Posted by houndsnmules View Post
    The 22 win mag has a significantly higher working pressure that 22LR. I would advise against, especially if it a semi auto
    It is a Rossi break action. The same action is used for 410 in one gun and 243/20 gauge in the other. The barrel is solid steel .22 bore inside but has the outside dimensions of a 20 guage. It's beefy!

LuJon, Did you buy the reamer.........????

Not yet, my discretionary funds have been otherwise engaged. . Hopefully get to it after the first of the year.

Lujon,

I have the same combo....22/20ga/243 that I bought as a take along gun on a canoe trip into Canada last summer but I fell off a ladder and screwed up my shoulder so the trip didn't happen. Anyway, the 22 LR in my set is "bottle cap" accurate at 25 yds with the open sights and Remington subsonic....which I thought was pretty good for a cheap gun. It also shoots Aguila Super Colibri pretty good at 15 yds. The gun is pretty quiet with the subs so I gave up the idea of converting to 22 mag since I have the .243 for bigger stuff. The 22 mag conversion is easy if you do it, but remove the extractor BEFORE rechambering and carefully enlarge it with a Dremel and an almost worn out cut-off disk.

20ga is a modified choke and shoots 71/2 shot fairly tight and I've used it on crows once and worked well. It also shoots regular slugs into a 6" circle at about 50 yds so that is about my limit for slugs. .243 barrel has only been test fired so I don't know how it shoots. It may need a scope.

I Duracoated my barrels and action and the combo rides behind the seat in my truck in their little case. For the money, they seem to be a great little gun... a little rough but it works.