Thread: Poster: Rx Fires and Ruffed Grouse Habitat

Default Poster: Rx Fires and Ruffed Grouse Habitat

Some folks around here created this poster. They were burning back mature alder before spring green-up to stimulate the production of sprouts and buds, which are more edible to grouse. Some of the information is technical, but it's nice to see someone doing work with/for grouse and not just those annoying big game species.

2011_rx_fire_in_aspen3b.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Excellent stuff,Skinny. The Army biologists and foresters have been doing this for some years now. It began with a biologist by the name of Steve Reidsma and has progressed from there. They have also been doing some valuable sharp tail studies and have continued to do my old ruffed grouse drumming route since leaving my job over there. Some of the cuts they did for training areas somehow were also great ruffed grouse treatment areas. Suspicious stuff,eh! Lots of game birds on Army training lands.

Jim

I know those inset boxes are next to impossible to read. If anyone wants to know what they say, I can email you the large-format, high-res PDF version, or I can copy and paste the text boxes in here. I can probably do the same for the graphs - attach each one individually. The main gist is that aspen sprouts really show up in the second year after a top-kill.

Skinny,

Very generous offer. I'll take you up on your offer.jimmccann @live.com

thank you, sir!

Jim

I would like as well, my email is hellis@mtaonline.net. I appreciate your offer, thank you very much.

Harold