Thread: Boat storage next summer in Whitier?

Default Boat storage next summer in Whitier?

I just moved from Texas (military) and have a 27 foot sailboat. I am trying to find a place to store my sailboat next to the Marina so I do not have to haul my boat every time from Chugiak, AK to go sailing for the weekend. I looked into slips there and it says there is a 2 year long wait list. The next best thing is to store it with the mast and rigging already up so all I have to do is hook up to truck and drop into the water. The place has to be close because it is usually frowned upon to drive a sailboat around town with the mast up while knocking over the powerlines along the way. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Curtis

There is a storage lot right in Whittier that will satisfy your needs. Several other blow boat owners do just what you want. You can pay by the day, month, or season. It is about $600 for the season. My boat stays there all summer. On a side, I can count the number of sail boats I have seen out of Whittier last season actually sailing on one hand and I spent 50+ days out there. Hope you have a good kicker.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Don't most of the sailboats in the yard have their masts down?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Welcome Curtis!

Yeah.... there are several sail boats that trailer berth in the parking lot just across the tracks from the small boat harbor. You pay less if you buy the season pass.

"Two year waiting list..." um, I've talked to folks in your boat size that claim to have been on the list a lot longer the two years....and they are still waiting.

I launch my 27ft sailboat in Whittier but head over to Valdez or Cordova. There's more berth room and the sailing is better.

Spoiled one makes a good point about not seeing many sailboats actually sailing near Whittier ..... there are many reasons. Most of all, the winds in Prince William Sound are a fickle.... in the fiords, when the winds blow, they tend to be straight in your face or at your back and you are sailing dead down wind. Then you go a couple of miles and the winds die or somehow reverse 180 degrees!. Die hard sailors understand that you are constantly triming and adjusting your sails. And I'm afraid there are not many die hard sailors up here.

But one thing you should know, ..... once you get out past Culros Island, the winds can be steady and the sailing can be awesome!

Another reason you don't see many sailboats out sailing... well, the power boats probably out number us 50 to 1.

Then, (hope I don't make too many folks mad with this statement)..... "real sailors" get excited and headout to play in the wind when the small craft warnings are anounced. And the smaller power craft tend to stay in the harbor. Put a reef in your main and a shorten up your jib and you can have a blast! The power boats are bouncing all over the place .... and your sailboat is like on rails.

There are more sailboats in Seward. The winds are better there close in, but there aren't as many good anchorages and fun places to explore.

There is some fantastic cruising in Prince William Sound for us slow boats. Make sure you have the Lethcoe "Guide to Prince William Sound", good ground tackle and good rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Don't most of the sailboats in the yard have their masts down?
    Some do and some don't.

Thanks. I am trying to decide if I am going to keep my boat in Whitier, Seward, or maybe Big Lake for next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by csmurray1 View Post
    Thanks. I am trying to decide if I am going to keep my boat in Whitier, Seward, or maybe Big Lake for next summer.
    Man if I had my choice I'd go w/ Big lake theres girls in bikinis there!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

We love to spend the night on our sail boat, are there places in big lake to anchor up and spend the night? I have not been there yet so I have only seen satellite images, looks like a lot of private land with no cove camping option, or are there?

Anyone? Good places to anchor in Big Lake for overnight sleeping on sailboat? Or is it all private land.

It has been years since I have been on Big Lake, but I suspect that all the land is private. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend hanging on the hook, Big Lake is not the place. Whittier will be your best option for this. I assume that you have an outboard to push you around, right?

Quote Originally Posted by csmurray1 View Post
    Anyone? Good places to anchor in Big Lake for overnight sleeping on sailboat? Or is it all private land.
    I have stayed on a power boat there, and it was pretty miserable. People run around on the lake water skiing late, and then at 3am, there was another shot of jet skis and boats after the bar closed, all screaming as loud as they can. If they didn't wake you up, their wakes would. Yes, I would say you would be better off out of Whittier.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks. Yes I have an motor. It has a bathroom, two beds, kitchen, it is set up pretty nice. We enjoy sailing around then BBQ on the deck and drinking a few beers. We will have to try big lake at least once, but I agree whitier will probably be our playground.

Make sure you purchase the Lethcoe Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound. It can be purchased here. It will give you lots to dream about over the winter. I have to ask. What is the infatuation with Big Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have to ask. What is the infatuation with Big Lake?
    drunk girls in bikinis... silly man!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    drunk girls in bikinis... silly man!

Fifteen will get ya twenty, bush!

Have you looked into Seward as an option? There's a sailing club there, and a number of coves providing good anchorages.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."