Thread: My goat hunt ,really?

Default My goat hunt ,really?

Really? That's what I call this hunt after saying it to myself everyday of the hunt.
    Get to petersburgh monday oct.17.Buy tags and stay at the docks on the big boat the 1st.night.
    Tuesday take landing craft to main land ,spend the night at cabin.

Wendsday load two quads with 5 packs and ride 14 miles up a river to a new land slide ,leave quads hike about 2 or3 miles to a river crossing ,ride cable across river and hike about 2 miles up other side of river to the outlet of a glaicer lake.While the packer goes back for the last pack frame with the inflatable kayak on it. We set camp up ,my buddy and I brought all are own camping gear {tent ,bags,stoves ,cook ware ,crampons,ice axes,ect.] Add the rifles, shells,and all the food we had room for, and the packs were over 70 lb.The guide had one infatable drop off by plane at the other end of the lake. The guide and my partner paddle up and get it back to camp and say they saw lots of goats.

Thursday get out of camp my 9:00 [really?] paddle to a safe landing and start to glass, spot about 12 goats and a good billie at the far end of the lake,paddle up there and start the stalk only to find the goat is gone and 6 nannys and kids watching us we return to the kayaks and glass for more ,see more goats but no eazy ones to get to.Get back to camp early .I gave the first day to my partner as the shooter.

Friday my turn, paddle the kayaks half way up the lake sat on shore and glassed .Spotted a billie across the lake with nanny, paddled over there and glassed him . The guide said he is to small 8" I like him and said I would me more then happy with him ,his fur was very long and his horns look good to my untrained eye.I beg him to let me take him he said no you don't want him [really?] It is 11:00 and he said we are pulling camp and heading back to the boat.[really?] I saw 17 goats and we are leaving. The hike out was a run the guide was running out of sight and when we did catch up he would get up and go never giving us a break.My glasses would steam up and make it hard to see footing ,I turned to the packer and asked really? Made it back to the water by dark and spent the night on the big boat in petersburgh.

Saterday spend in town and dock . Buy new rain gear ,the mad hike tore up are cheep gear.

Sunday Take large boat and landing boat to another glaicer . Get there at dark.

Monday Sat on edge of glaicer and glass about 6 goats ,no shooters after 2 hours he takes us back to the big boat and watches hunting videos the rest of the day[really?]

Tuesday my turn. troll to same place and glass a black bear about 200lbs. and a few goats . Two hours later we are in the big boat heading back to town when he stops and said this is a good place to hunt deer and dropes us off on shore.[really?] this is the 1st. time it stoped raining the whole hunt.The packer went with my buddie and called in 5 does and a 4pt. buck. He tells him to shot and my friend tells him he is not here to hunt deer .I needed that time alone .He picks us up at 5:00 and head to the dock.

Wensday road hunt the island with the packer {really?}see a cub black bear.

Thursday Get in the landing craft and go to another glaicer and spot about 6 goats he said no shooters ,never get out of the boat.

That was the last day ,packed and to the airport. I hunted about 4 hours and my partner hunted about 11 hours in goat habitat.Saw about 32 goats ,2black bear ,5 cow moose and a few deer.not bad for the time spent hunting .I added 3 days to this hunt just in case we needed them .[really?] This was my 1st. guided hunt .I do not know what to think. In the end he said well we tried. [REALLY?]

I think the phrase - "He got the gold mine and you got the shaft" - seems appropriate here 353 - good grief....
    First, every guided hunt I have been on we had a meeting right from the start and discussed what "I" hoped for from the hunt and what the guide thought "he" could provide. All very friendly, but just getting to know ea other and what to expect. I would have said listen my friend - that 8 in goat was more than enough to make me happy and the stalk would have been on. You paid to go goat hunting and it is your call as long as its a legal target.
    Very sorry to read your hunt details - did you do any reference checking on this Outfitter? I ALWAYS talk with several clients as I want to know what to expect - its my dollar - and knowing as much as you can prepares one for the unexpected.
    I had a co-worker go with 2 friends to New Foundland last month on a moose hunt. His first - he did not even know the name of the outfitter, mounted a scope on his 30-06 a week before and shot half a box at 50 yards. Had a nice bull first morning at 275 ranged yards - held 1 foot over its back and missed - later same day, came upon 2 young bulls at 60 yards and got one... Had no rain gear and it poured every day, no bug nets - unbelieveable. His buddies didn't even see a moose and were soaked rats - hated it.
    Anyway where my rant is going is that the client must do all they can to be prepared - if its your first time for a critter talk to someone that has experience, learn your equipment ( especially what your gun is capable of ) etc , and by all means talk to the outfitters past clients to get a feel for what to expect. One ref I called for a moose hunt was all negative - made outfitter sound like a bad deal - didn't take long for me to determine that the client was ill prepared and expected way more than he should have. In the end my son and I chose that outfitter and both took bulls - had a great time and got more services than we expected !
    Thanks for posting headhunter353, learn from this and may your next hunt be a great success...! Frame that tag and hang it on your office wall - will be a good reminder to do your homework!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thats some nice country there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Seein'zzzz how you had nothing derogatory in your post, I would think it would be prudent of you to mention the name of the "Guide" Services you used!!! I'll betcha there are lots of guys reading this that would love to know!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Pretty sure there's only one guy that guides goats in Petersburg, but I hesitate to provide a name in case I'm wrong. And this write-up doesn't fit my understanding of his usual practices.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I would have had to have a heart to heart w/ the outfitter on about day three. Were your expectations made clear? I would have told him that I didn't fly down there and pay him for a sight seeing tour, that would have been a lot cheaper through Kenai fjords tours!! I get the impression that the guide probably gets a lot of softer hunters that want a 90% warm boat based "easy" hunt and that is what he caters to. I would look up Jake (BRWNBR) and talk with him if you want a "real" ground pounding goat hunt. Not saying he will guarantee a goat but from talking w/ a buddy that hunted w/ him a couple years ago at the end of the hunt you will know you had a "HUNT"! My buddy is a machine in the mountains in his own rite and he said that Jake put him to shame in the steep stuff. One of those guys that you load up w/ extra weight to even out the pace.

From experience I can tell you that the only way you can "even out the pace" with Jake is to shoot him in the foot, or feet as the case may be. Jake's a mountain guide extraordinaire.

Sorry you didn't get the goat you were after. (Does that get your goat?) I'd trust the guide on this judgement of what a shooter was. I take it you've never eaten "tag soup" before. As others mentioned, you should have made it clear you didn't want to go home empty handed.

Passing up on a 4-pt buck? I've never done that, mainly because I've never seen one in 30 years of hunting the northern panhandle. I'd drool over that opportunity.

I can tell you that this October has really sucked. But . . . a buddy who was sucessfull on an Etolin Elk hunt said they had a 5-day stretch w/ no rain during the first week of October. Guess you missed that stretch.

I was surprised about the 4 pt. as well. But I see he's from Pennsylvania so I'm guess it was a fork, 4 pt by whitetail count. I've hunted the area they were in and shot plenty of bucks. Only heard of one true 4 pt. coming from the area. Lots of really big 3 pts.

I had a couple of questions about the post.

You said you only hunted for 4hrs? But you camped out near the goats? Was it 4hrs of stalking or does that include glassing and the hike in? Hunting isn't just the last stock and shot.

It sounds like this guide only likes to take mature billies. Although it does sound as though they didn't spend a huge amount of time trying to find you one but was part of that weather? Goat hunting is 99% weather dependent and it has been crappy in southeast for a while now. If I was on a goat hunt in the last couple of days I would have been glad just to have the opportunity to chase deer for a few hours.
    Sorry you had a crappy hunt though.

Since everyone is into what if scenarios the last couple days;
    What if it was brown bears instead of goats? you are a guide and see tons of sows with cubs and imiture bores. the client wants to shoot a small bore (say 6ft for all you knit pickers) and says he will be happy with it. As a guide do you let him shoot it, knowing that bear could be a shooter in years to come?
    I won't even get into the survivability of goats vs. bears.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    I had a couple of questions about the post.

You said you only hunted for 4hrs? But you camped out near the goats? Was it 4hrs of stalking or does that include glassing and the hike in? Hunting isn't just the last stock and shot.

It sounds like this guide only likes to take mature billies. Although it does sound as though they didn't spend a huge amount of time trying to find you one but was part of that weather? Goat hunting is 99% weather dependent and it has been crappy in southeast for a while now. If I was on a goat hunt in the last couple of days I would have been glad just to have the opportunity to chase deer for a few hours.
    Sorry you had a crappy hunt though.

What if it was brown bears instead of goats? you are a guide and see tons of sows with cubs and imiture bores. the client wants to shoot a small bore (say 6ft for all you knit pickers) and says he will be happy with it. As a guide do you let him shoot it, knowing that bear could be a shooter in years to come?
    Shooter now vs. shooter in years to come. I say what's the difference? If the client is happy, that 's good enough. The client footed the bill for the hunt, therefore the client should be allowed to make the call.

I get the impression at times that some guides get a little too focused on their reputations. Is it possible that's what happened to Headhunter?

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    From the guide's perspective, would he be happier sending a client home happy or in this situation? With the internet the way it is, as soon as someone pulls the trigger, it's all over the web so I can understand him not wanting to shoot anything small. HOWEVER, passing on an animal so it's bigger next year might not be the best route if your client is gonna tell people that he was ultimately unhappy with the hunt. As many have mentioned, asking for references is a good idea when booking a hunt with a guide. What happens when someone calls this client to ask about the hunt? They're gonna end up going somewhere else. That being said, is that goat gonna help him next year if he doesn't have any clients?

Guiding is one of those interesting situations where sometimes you have to compromise your own judgment in order to make the client happy. When I guided, I looked at it like this - my job is to make sure the client has a memorable and successful hunt. All clients measure success differently. Some genuinely enjoy the experience. Most don't want to leave without shooting. My job is to utilize my resources to put them in a position they may, otherwise, not find. When it comes down to it, it's the client's decision whether or not to trust the guide and keep hunting. If the client outright told me that he would be happy with that animal after glassing it for a while and he wanted to make the stalk even though I'd told him I thought we could do better, I say let him at it. It's his money, it's his hunt, it's his memory. The key is listening to your clients. You'll have repeat customers if you give them the hunt they want. If you try to control the hunt (I know it's your job, to a certain extent) and you don't produce, you're going to send a lot of people home that won't be happy and won't come back.

Even if you don't want them to shoot a certain animal, if he's happy with it, he'll let his friends know how great the experience was and might come back. If you don't, this happens.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I guess in the future, all I could suggest is make it 100% known what your expectations of the hunt are. Don't settle for any less. Listen to the guide, but make sure YOUR best interest is what dictates the hunt; afterall, it's what you're paying for.

Nice response DnD. Personally I have never hired a guide so I am just making assumptions and you know what they say about that.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread headhunter.

headhunter,

i do gotta ask one question. Did you ever voice your displeasure to the guide? You say that you said "Really?" to yourself everyday, but nowhere do you tell the guide you aren't happy. Communication is key, the guy isn't a mind reader. Not trying to be mean here, but if you just stayed quiet about it you didn't help the situation any.

No proplem, I think he didn't want to take a goat out of there let alone two. He said he never hunted that lake and he might have bet off to much.The packer said he has been hunting off the boat to long. I just kept thinking may be the next day.
    He said we should come in november to see the billies.I'm used to hiking up high in the mornings and glassing mid day and staying
    till dark. The weather was the wetest I ever hunted in.

In that case you booked the wrong hunt. That guide offers late season boat based hunts for the most part. His november hunts are definitely boat based. Mostly sitting by Horn Cliff or up Leconte Bay glassing cliffs for goats. Once the snow comes the nannies run for the tide line, during the rut in Nov. the billies come down low to get some. It's lazy mans goat hunting. If you shoot them right, they'll fall off the cliff into the water which makes recovery very easy.

Semper Fi and God Bless

No it was not Eli. I did see his boat ,he was hunting the patterson when I was there.I hear he is an animal . Maybe I should have used him?