Thread: RGS Project in Mat-Su

Default RGS Project in Mat-Su

An Eagle Scout from Troop 325 in Wasilla put in interpretive signs, trail signs and benchs on an RGS funded habitat cut in the Matanuska Valley Moose Range. Hundreds of acres of cuts dating back to 2001 have been accomplished. The Projects cut aspen to regenerate younger seral stages of forest habitat for ruffed grouse and moose.

We have jumped ruffed grouse in this cut. My puppy Gal, had fun following the other dogs and playing, coming when called and grabbing our gloves. A great day (2-weekends ago) enabling our young people to help with projects and for them to learn some principles of wildlife management, forestry, trail building, interpretive signs, working with each other, etc. A great way to mentor kids using a little different track than hunting but ultimately depicting where some of our hunter monies go to for funding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wish I could have been there for that. Very nice work!

Now that's one great way to bring new hunters into the fold, and do it correctly.

A salute to all those involved with the effort.

Jim

Derek & Hunter were there too. Hunter was pitching right in, doing great. A half a dozen other young men (scouts & friends) were there along with the Eagle scout's dad, his mom was there the week before. Scouts is a great program for kids and we were able to be a part of his project. The other young men got exposed to habitat improvement projects, bird dogs, men other than their dad's working with them.

You and Derek are great at taking people hunting for game birds. You have the bird dog/game bird/cover savy and the passion to take people out. Believe me, I know taking someone hunting is no small thing. The bird dog realm is an unbelieveably complex skill that is perfected over many years but it adds so much to the experience. I don't have any kids or nephews to take hunting, but this (working w/RGS) is something I can do. It is fun and I like it.

I've met some really cool people through this site "Outdoorsdirectory" in person and others just through the blog. We all are adding to our corporate knowledge and experience and we all gain from the insight, encouragement and perspective received from each other. Each of us does our own thing but it adds to the whole. I really like the pictures and desciptions I've seen here.

I guess I did a little "chest beating"... with my post but it was fun! Thank you, Jim for your encouragement!

Glen

Where is this cut? If you advertise ahead of time, I'd be proud to assist.

As I understand it Alaskan Woodsman is up here in Fairbanks right now ref. a new job and trying to find a house. If you Google the Southcentral Ruffed Grouse Society you should be able see what they have going on and ways of getting involved. Worthwhile and rewarding work.

Jim