Thread: Musher's secret

Default Musher's secret

Anyone use it? Thoughts? I have read both that it is worth using, and that it is not. When I hunted my weim, I never really had a snow balling issue. With my setter, itís an issue. I used booties, and can never keep em on....plus he hates them. So far I just stop every 1/2 hr to an hr and clear his feet. He is fine with that, because we wipe our dogs feet when they come in the house (he is use to me touching his feet since he was a pup). Iím just looking for something that might help us keep hunting without stopping so often.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hoyt,

I've got some in the truck but hardly ever use it 'cause I forget to. I mostly trim some of that long hair on their feet and between their toes. Sort of works.

Jim

agreed.. trimming the hair down helps alot.. as my dog gets them constantly when the hair is not trimmed down ussually ill trim it every week or two and it keeps him active.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I planned on trimming, and will do so for sure now.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Ditto keeping the hair in the pads trimmed out. There are numerous benefits to that routine hygiene. But I'd like to add that as as a Musher's Secret user, I swear by it. Great stuff. Really helps with overall foot health during the winter. My only caution is about using it at home, especially if you have potentially slippery floors. The stuff is super slick and the dog won't get any traction on a surface such as linoleum, risking a slip, fall, and subsequent joint injury. It can also stain carpets with paw prints.

At any rate, my Golden (even with the paws trimmed) couldn't go more than 100 yards through the snow without building up ice balls between his pads, which would bring him to a stop. With the Musher's Secret, he gets zero ice build-up.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

As a washed up musher, I will say that noone is using "mushers secret" in distance racing or training anymore as far as I know. They have moved beyond that to using "Algyval" and other foot ointments. Basically you can make your own ointment using peanut oil, vaseline, rosemary extract, arnicus, etc.. The oil lubricates the hair, helps to shed snow, and keeps the skin between the pads lubricated so they dont crack as easy. The antibacterials/rosemary/arnicus help to heal fissures once they start and lessen inflammation.

Leave it to a musher to figure out the best way to keep a dog with sore feet in business.

Best is to keep problem feet booted. Easier to train a dog to accept booties than to constantly deal with foot problems and infection.