Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 766

Default 766

I don't know if anyone is headed out opening day, but just wanted to give a shout out and say good luck and be safe!! The rest of us will anxiously wait for hunt reports

Thanks! I went out on the opening day down the Rex trail, mostly just to do some scouting. The first river was still flowing in places, but I was able to cross on my 4 wheeler. The second river had a channel of water flowing down the middle, so I didn't take a chance trying to cross it. I only saw a solo cow while out, and very little sign. I think the moose are still up in the mountains right now. I also found it very odd that I only saw one other hunting group out the trail. I will be heading out again later in the month, and hope there will be enough snow to take the snowmachine!

CubeCove

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for cold temps and snow for snogo access. Good luck.

Cubecove
    Seen you out on the trail Tuesday. Second river crossing Tuesday was marginal at best for 4 wheeler-s. My best estimate three and half to four foot of water covered with ice and oppen leads. Could have possibly crossed with snow go as my buddy was able to walk across a small ice bridge, margina at best!!. Stabbed around on the ice little bit decided not worth the effort. Wednesday early morning showed up at the river again. Like parting of the sea!!! Never would have guessed!!! From us poking around River ****ed up over night and completly washed out the area normally crossed. Ice backed up on the river bank every where. Good thing made river crossing easy 18" of water tops bear rocks. Took UTV in another 20 miles or so when we spotted several nice bulls bedded down in elders. Took largest of the three a 57" bull. Return trip broke a belt. Ended up walking 12 miles back yto base camp. Next day no phone reception ended up walking out another 18 miles to trail head. Thirty miles in all. After driving back to Wasilla and getting a new belt we headed back with snow-go on Friday. Friday night we made it back to second river crossing. River starting to ice up againand about two foot of water in open leads. Decide to wait till morning to cross. Next morning we checked river out again. could have jumped open lead with snow-go but decided to wade with hip waiters and walk 4 miles to where our UTV was broke down. After changing belt we were b ack to the river in no time. UTV smashed throught the ice with out even having to winch. Water level close to to foot. Drove back to base camp dismatled and headed back to Wasilla. Nice trip with lots of memories. Was glade I went with someone that doesn't get to excited when things go wrong. Also glade I didn't break belt other side of the Wood River too. Nexgt trip I'll have a spare for sure. Seems like we packed everything but the kitchin sink as it was. Didn't see a single person on
    the trail other than you Tuesday. One interesting incident, as we were walkint out, a large brown bear walked right on top of our four wheeler track. Less than four hours old. With blood sent all over us as we were walking out in the dark it was nice to put some distance tween us and the fresh tracks. Two wolves back tracked us early Saturday mornng all the way to our 4-wheeler too. Left out meet untouch. Followed the tracks for eight miles. Another wolf ate the guts a ptarmigan we took earlier in the week. Lots of critters out there!!! Let me know how you do. I've got four other buddies from Wasilla that plan to head up later in the month.

Good adventure! Any pictures?

Ramdap,

Way to go on getting a moose. Sounds like you had a little trouble on the way out. Glad you made it out safely. I will be out there in less than two weeks. Would love to see some pics of your moose.

Like to send pics. of Totalanika after the ice dam let loose Tuesday night. You wouldn't have believed it in a thousand years.
    If you tried to cross river in your ATV you may have caused dam to form??? We were thinking it may have resulted from our effort??

Once I figure out how to down load pics. this web sight I'll post couple.

In 2005 I went in a week after the folks to catch up with them. The night before my partner and I hit the lodge and got on the trail the Totat had let loose. A guy and his son were camped there and got out of the their tent to find out what the noise was. He couldn't even describe it. The aftermath left icebergs jammed into the big timber along the river banks. We pulled up there in the afternoon after talking with him at the trailhead and couldn't believe our eyes. The only thing I have seen to compare is when the tazlina let loose in the winter a while back. A flood of water heaved all the ice on the river and flooded everything with icebergs, water, slush, etc... Hydraulic power is amazing stuff. Talking with some locals it sounded like the totat does it every year.

Pics. of river crossing. Location Tat. Wednedsy and Satuday

I can't see your pics?

[IMG]IMG_3396.jpg[/IMG]

Sooooooo......... how did everyone do? I was forced to do something I haven't done in a long time BUT, I am not complaining because I did what I really, really wanted to do earlier this season so it evens out. The price paid for drawing two tags and work not going the way it was expected. Oh well, let's hear some stories!

Four hunting buddies of mine from Wasilla that drew same permitwere able to catch one moose. Myunderstanding, 42” bull last day of their hunt on the ride out. Most of the moose spotted were off limits….wrong side of trail. Good weather, balmy -26, Thanksgiving weekend .

I’m still trying to figure out how to post some of my pics.

Who's heading out this year and when?
    Be interesting to see what develops with all this rain.

Daughter and good friend of mine were lucky enough to get drawn this year.
    May head up twice in November.

Headed up late in november like we usually do. Mom gets another chance after we got rained out two years ago. Come on snow!!

Trail report:
    Just got back late last night. Buddy Dale was able to take a nice bull with his inline muzzle loader. Talked with 10-12 different hunters up and down the trail. Some with cow permits
    plenty of snow, 10-12". Totat andTat are both solid/froze enough to get machines across as of last weekend

Thank you for the update. Headed in the 16th.

daughter and I are headed up the same. may see you on the trail. best of luck

Good luck to you as well!! Don't be shy. We'll be on 3 Doo widetracks pulling 5 or 6 sleds. Big, bright AO12 w/ vestibule. No more wall tent yeehaw!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast