Thread: Sand Point???

Default Sand Point???

i am looking for info from people that have driven sand points for water. i am in the willow area remote and i am contemplating driving a sand point to see if i can get water. i have a root cellar under my cabin that is about 8 feet down that i am hoping would be a good place to drive it. if you have one that worked or didn't work i would be interested in your story. thanks

Whether they work or not is determined by the water table and soil conditions. They're great in sand, worthless in clay or jumbled rock.

I prefer to start a hole with a bucket auger to get through an organics. When I get close to the point to where I believe the water table is I fill the drive pipe with water. When the water disappears i'm there. Water seeks it's own level. When you can't keep water in the pipe it's because the water is flowing out of the point into the water table.

If you're in sandy soils where a point will drive you may consider driving a bigger pipe hydraulically using a water pump. If you can sink a 3" pipe you can utilize a submersible pump. Very handy.

Mr.Pid, I completed that well at your neighbors. It turned out good and was pumping at a rate of 5 gal. per min. Looks like good water too!

Did you go through the old casing by the back door or start new? On top or at the bottom of the bridge? Submersible pump? You guys did a nice job renewing that place.

To my earlier bucket auger comment.... I could have completed my entire well using a bucket auger. At least until I got to water, and then the sand collapses into the hole, makes a slurry, and you can't lift it out. A bucket auger is way easier than pounding a pipe into the earth but you'll need sandy soils for it to work. Blowing a pipe in hydraulically is easier yet but you'll need an abundant clean water source.

I meant your other Neighbor, on the other side of the river. I used the the bucket auger till we got down to water then we drove the sand point in just enough to cover the whole sand point (about 3 1/2 feet). Didnt get a solid stream of water till we backfilled the well and created a cistrum....sp?. Well is about 14 foot and that is at low water levels on the creek! Nobody believed me whan I told them that you said there would be good water at that shallow of a level, guess they do now! The well is about 10 ' from the cabin and the cabin is about 5' foot off the ground level. Normally I would dig a 6' ditch and tie into the well and then insulate but the water table is so close to the ground level. He wants to use it in the winter and I figure he can use a check valve that drains from both sides but past that I dont know how he is going to keep the water from freezing if it is cold at night other than keep it running. Any ideas?

I have a foot valve on the bottom of my pipe and drilled a pee hole in it so the water drains down. That is unless wifey forgets to leave the top ball valve open a little. I modified that one so it can't close all the way. My well head is 10' above ground and it works all winter, no problem. I use a quick disconnect hose to pump water and stow it inside when not being used. The well pipe drains down and everything's ready for the next time I need it.

We drove a sand point. We had all sand & silt to drive thru. The pipe & point were 2". We found a good deal on couplings on the net. We also used a drivecap. The joints loosened up some & we wrecked the threads on one pipe or coupling- so having an extra was a good idea. It's not easy work though. =) Works well though.

I put in a 2" Rock Point and was advised to keep tightening it as we drove it. I had a 6" piece of well casing with 100 lbs of lead so I put up a tri-pod with a block at top. Attached a line to it through the pully/block on top and my daughter would help lift with the rope and then she would let go and I would drive it down on the drive cap. Took up all summer to drive it 20 feet but got good water.

George

If your looking for some supplies check this out http://www.lehmans.com
    I live about twenty miles from them and I love the store.
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only