Thread: Portage Goats??

Default Portage Goats??

Looking for some info on hunting goats in the Portage/20 Mile area. Buddy and I have the permits, but they are only good for 2 weeks starting tomorrow, so we are going to have a very small amount of days to hunt. Wondering how to access good goat areas there - just don't want to hike miles and miles with no idea if we are going anywhere good. Thanks for any help.

I understand if you need to private message me to keep from advertising to everyone on the internet.

Go up.

If you're able to hike miles and miles you're not in goat country. Goats are spread all through that country. Sounds like you're limited to walking in. Pick a mountain close to the road. Go up.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Maybe too late to fly into CARMEN lake but you can ask.

[QUOTE=AK Explorer;1031363] Wondering how to access good goat areas there - just don't want to hike miles and miles with no idea if we are going anywhere good. Thanks for any help.

Hate to say it but you are asking a bit much. If others spent the time planning or scouting an area they aren't going to just tell you where it is. Infact they probably will be out there.

okay, thanks. and i wasn't expecting gps coordinates, just maybe a general "don't go here" or "look in this area" tip, geeze!

Anyone know the best place in that area to hike in? Haven't been able to get down there and look around yet. (Girdwood - 20 mile area)

How about going up over the top starting from the other side- leaving from the Portage to Whittier Road side?

Morgan
    -Soldotna

No disrespect intended, but very late in the game...
    Get out some detailed maps, call F&G for some intel; formulate a strategy and go.

It may end up a tough hike/camping trip, then again you may kill the billy of a lifetime.
    'Up' really is the word.
    Proud to be an American!

AKexplorer...you have to live up to your name sir. Get a topo and go explore God's greatness, that's the beauty of hunting here. You get to do some awesome hiking, learn new areas with a gun slung over your shoulder and a chance to bag a billy. God bless in future hunts

We have found them on the late hunt with a registration permit up the Peterson Creek drainage in years past.
    They were easily glassed from the old pulloff that used to be a shooting range. Glassed them and went up and got 'em.
    No real secret there.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We have found them on the late hunt with a registration permit up the Peterson Creek drainage in years past.
    They were easily glassed from the old pulloff that used to be a shooting range. Glassed them and went up and got 'em.
    No real secret there.
    BK
    Too much info. Maybe it wasn't a secret, but it didn't need to be public knowledge on a post viewed 666 times and counting. Some info should be earned. Send a PM if you want to help a guy out. Glad you were able to find success before you opened up the door to everyone.

Default Whittier tunnel

Was moose hunting by the Whittier tunnel and saw a few lone Goat stragglers. Would be quite a walk but they are there. Make sure to go under the tracks not over or the tunnel security will be all over you. I think you would have to go up and over. Check some topos before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Too much info. Maybe it wasn't a secret, but it didn't need to be public knowledge on a post viewed 666 times and counting. Some info should be earned. Send a PM if you want to help a guy out. Glad you were able to find success before you opened up the door to everyone.
    Agreed, but you just poured gas on the fire by confirming. Perhaps a PM would have been your best route of communication as well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Ehh... when the damage is done the damage is done. I'd just as soon make my displeasure public. I've never been up there - other obligations have come up the past two seasons - but it was always something on my to-do list I was pretty curious about. But I'll just scratch it now and move down the list. Luckily I always have more places to explore than I ever have time. Maybe it isn't any real secret, but it burns me nonetheless to see specifics called out in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    95% of people reading these forums will never go that high, in that country, including me... Just too much desk time... The goats will always be better climbers than us.

WYo2AK,
    Relax, he still has to go do the work. Like you, maybe he won't bother.
    It's not a secret, it's public land and anyone with a phone can get the info from the bio.
    Simply trying to help a fellow hunter out.....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Anyone know the best place in that area to hike in? Haven't been able to get down there and look around yet. (Girdwood - 20 mile area)
    This is what the months of June, July and August are for, for future reference...

Seriously though, guys spend a lot of time figuring out how to get into these places, there not going to give them up easily. I spent all my trips in the mountains this summer looking for ways to get to less pressured bears, didn't ever get close to shooting one but I've got a few places picked out for spring time that I doubt I will have much company in. With so many people hunting such a (relatively) small area secrecy is going to happen.

Having said all that, if I were in your shoes i'd begin by glassing with a spotting scope from the road if you need a direction to head, we often see lots of white spots all along there, not sure if they are sheep or goats but people tell me they should be goats???

Explorer,
    Sorry I didnt see this sooner. i have taken 3 goats in that area during the late season harvest ticket hunt. one at the whittier ridge, two up 20 mile and one in Bird valley by draw permit. i wouldnt just hike up from the road without seeing something first. try lining a canoe up the north side of 20 mile and glassing from sand bars. great places for camping and fires. the most promising route is parking at the alyeska resort and hiking in winner creek, we biked in and its a nice trail. you can go over the ridge into 20 mile within a few hours and be at the base of goat country. some friends of mine took pack rafts and floated out. hope you had success and maybe run into you on the trail one day. made a great friend by running into him and his girl friend on one of those goat hunts, my hunting buddy and i shared whiskey, a smoke and a fire that night with them and the next day we went seperate directions.