Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What GPS do you use?

Default What GPS do you use?

I am looking at buying a handheld GPS and I have a few questions. I am looking hard at the Garmin etrex line. I am on the fence between the Vista (b&w) and the Vista CX (color). Is the color screen worth it? And how about battery life on either?

I am not 100% locked onto either of these and would like to get your opinions. Thanks

Drew

i have a etrex, pretty basic but has the altimeter and its more than enough for what i use it for, no need for color, i've got other stuff to look out out there other than a minature tv.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Kiss

I tend to use the KISS(keep it simple stupid) principle when it comes to electronics outdoors. I figure like a computer the fewer programs and bells and whistles it has the less I have to remember, and the less to mess up. So, I use a standard Garmin eTREX, It has a lot more stuff than I usually need for hunting, and the important thing is it waterproof. DON"T overlook that, some aren't ! IF, I also used it for offshore fishing I would upgrade though, just not sure what my choice would be.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 12 xl

I have a 2 Garmin 12xl's, an Etrex Vista Cx, and 2 older Megellan 4000xl's. The KISS idea is the best. The 12xl's have been to Peru, most of the US and Canada. I would say Garmin for sure. The Vista is nice to have a unit to put in your base topo maps. Battery life is good, just remember to keep the backlight off unless you really need it.

Ron

I have a Garmin 60 CSX-- way over priced for the features. Good luck.

Thumbs up GPS

Garmin Map 60 if the bomb! You can program your maps into it via your computer and it works great. I took it on a 500 mile sno-go trip into the upper Noatak and it was better than the Topos that I carried. Down side is its price$$$

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in Camp & Inflatable Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Check out our new Web site!

Thumbs up

Your choice kind of depends on what you are going to be doing with it. I use mine for snowmachine trips and needed one that would keep a lock even though it is tucked inside my jacket. I spent the money and went with the Garmin Map76CSx ($353 shipped from Ebay) and it lives up to everything I want to do with it. It will hold a lock even in buildings and in my pack. I have yet to find another brand or lesser model that can keep up.

I heard the "x" model Garmins have a new chip of some sort installed that maintains a signal much better than their non-"x" counterparts.

You can't go wrong with a Garmin.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I use the GEKO 201..it's simple and light

Default Rhino

Garmin Rhino 120, easy to use and built in 2 way radio.

Used it for the last 7 years and works like a charm

Default vista c

I have been using the vista c for 2 yrs now & i really like being able to download the topo maps into it. Also the color is nice for contrast, battery life for me is about 2 days if I leave it on all the time. All in all I give it a big thumbs up.

Thumbs up

i have and like the garmin 60 c.s.x. $390 delivered. it is color with expandable memory. it locks on fast and stays locked in. easy to operate, small, waterproof. removable chip.

Default Thanks for the feed back!!!

Gents,
    First, thanks for all of the feed-back. OK I have narrowed my selection to the Vista or the Legend. The only draw back that I am seeing on these two is the short battery life 12 & 18 hours respectively. I know to keep the back light off but I would like to leave the unit on while I am out hunting so that I can cross reference my rout as I make my notes at night. With either of these units I will be caring a ton of batteries for a 10 day trip. Does battery life matter that much to you or do you only turn your units on the get a reference and then head off on your compass? This is why I was looking at the vista Cx. (32 hour battery life). Again thanks

Drew

Yes batt life in these units is weak. That 12-18 hours is a hope and a prayer, especially if its cold out. Now that being said I only use mine when I need to and just for short periods of time. I usually turn it on, mark spots, see where I am, and which way do I need to go. Other than that the units are great. Not too many frills but are amazingly accurate and reliable.

The electronic compass (vs the GPS oriented compass) uses a lot of power as well. Several models have the option to turn off the electronic compass to help conserve power.

If you are planning on leaving the unit on all day to make a track, you want to make sure it will keep a lock even while in a pack or jacket. It would be best if you can "try before you buy" to make sure the models you are looking at will hold the signal while tucked away. Go to a store and get hands on one and see if it will acquire a signal while in the store. If it will, you have a good one. If not, it probably will have a difficult time with a signal in your jacket or pack as well.

I have friends with some cheaper models who lose signals when the trees are a little too thick. Not good for hunting IMO.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default The dreaded batteries!

I received Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries with my digital Sony camera some time ago. In the manual they show where the NiMH batteries last 4+times longer than standard alkaline batteries. I know for a fact that duracels won't compare but haven't had a chance to try the NiMH batteries in my GPS's yet. If they work the same in a GPS that's 1/4 the amount of batteries to take on any trip. Anyone ever try them out?
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 03-25-2007 at 01:25. Reason: Sp

Wink

Be careful that your rechargeable batteries are the same starting voltage, some are .25 less when fulley charged!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Be careful that your rechargeable batteries are the same starting voltage, some are .25 less when fulley charged!
    Ok, you lost me with that one. In all the years I have used rechargable batteries from electronics to R/C cars, boats and planes I didn't know the difference. Please explain.

Wink

Most batteries, Non- rechargeable , AA are 1.5 volts dc, marked on the side of the battery. Some rechargeable are 1.25 also marked on the side of the battery, both can be used but are not the same peak voltage, at the start,when at full power. Thats how some are made, all you have to do is read the voltage on the batteries themselves, they should be marked. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

That's interesting, the only diffenrence I ever noticed was in the mah rating. The higher the mah capacity the longer they will last. Also its been stated that if you use a 15 min. charger vs a trickle charger you will only obtain about 85% charge. Looking into this a bit further I do see the different voltage batteries. Any clue why the difference and how it would affect electronics?

Wink

None except in the days when I used Ni Cad, AA for maglite ect, the brightness was less at the start with the rechargeable types! They did not seem to last as long as the non rechargeable types. If this is so I guess you have to balance that against the cost of replacements, vs. rechargeables?I used the same types, AA, so I ended buying a large pack at the start of the season in Costco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast