Thread: Kodiak Deer Outfitter for 2012

Default Kodiak Deer Outfitter for 2012

I'm going out on a limb here and soliciting information on an inexpensive unguided deer hunting opportunity next fall.
    I have researched these forums and the Internet but have not found what I am looking for.
    This said, please do not "gang-bang" me with negative comments for tryng...

When I was stationed at Elmendorf years ago I was very fortunate to have a great contact. Unfortunately, due to family/health reasons he has gone out of business.

I want to avoid expensive lodges [we provide our own food] and public use cabins ~ obvious reasons.

What I am looking for is someone who has a private cabin [preferably several].
    It's just me and one close hunting partner so we don't need a huge spread.

In the past we flew from Anchorage into Kodiak and hopped the mail plane to meet our outfitter. The outfitter would take us directly to the local docks where we would load our gear [one backpack and a cooler each] on his boat and head for one of his three cabins. Hunting was do-it-yourself with decent success rates.

If anyone is willing to share a contact as described, please PM me. My hunting partner and I would be grateful.

Respectfully,

AKluvr95

I'm just curious what you have against the public use cabins?

Try Rick Metzger at Alpine Cove. He used to post here and rents cabins/skiffs.

Mostly pressure the immediate area gets for the foot hunter ~ unless you using a boat to access surrounding areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I'm just curious what you have against the public use cabins?

Thanks for the contact. I've looked him up and will make contact.

Upon further researchusing your lead here on the forum it appears there may be some issue "No more cabin rentals for unguided big game hunters". I attempted to find out more but didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Try Rick Metzger at Alpine Cove. He used to post here and rents cabins/skiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post

Upon further researchusing your lead here on the forum it appears there may be some issue "No more cabin rentals for unguided big game hunters". I attempted to find out more but didn't find anything.
    I don't know what the rules used to be but searching for info I came upon that to,but something must have changed because I called him for this years upcomeing hunt and he is renting his cabins and a boat but he was booked for our time frame.If ya want I have his number some were.

If getting away from foot traffic is the objective why not just get a floatplane drop off and tent it ? I did for some 20+ years and always got success and no competition.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post

BGCSB was looking at changing regs for outfitters and transporters and Rick was concerned. Not sure how or if those regs impacted him, but I'd give him a call. He's in a beautiful spot.

Tent's an option but not our first in bear country. Not to mention the weather's typically a factor when we've been down there in the past. Sure is nice to have a warm refuge and a place to dry out clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    If getting away from foot traffic is the objective why not just get a floatplane drop off and tent it ? I did for some 20+ years and always got success and no competition.

Good to know thanks. Sorry you didn't get your dates ~ that's why I want to get lined up for next season if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    I don't know what the rules used to be but searching for info I came upon that to,but something must have changed because I called him for this years upcomeing hunt and he is renting his cabins and a boat but he was booked for our time frame.If ya want I have his number some were.

Copy on the regulation's issue. First thing that came to my mind was hunters did something wrong. I will be contacting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    BGCSB was looking at changing regs for outfitters and transporters and Rick was concerned. Not sure how or if those regs impacted him, but I'd give him a call. He's in a beautiful spot.

Does anybody have a contact number for Rick? We are going on a bear hunt this fall down there and are interested in using his cabin thanks for any info

I know some people that hunt here every year they say it is a pretty good deal http://www.zacharbaylodge.com/home.php

Having hunted Kodiak 5X, 4 by tent, I would recommend going to the South Side, use a tent and bear fence.
    If you need further details PM me.

Does anyone have Ricks number or website? Thanks

Did you ever get a hold of Rick? I stayed at one of his cabins in 2004 and now my wife drew a tag for next spring so if you have any information on the cabins please let me know. oh ya she drew the deadmans bay spring tag. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by huntalaska View Post
    Does anyone have Ricks number or website? Thanks

Do a search for UYAK BAY, I can't think of the guy that runs an old cannery. Someone may chime in.

Roland,

The guy that runs the cannery in Uyak Bay is Steele Davis. Great experience.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by lobell View Post
    Did you ever get a hold of Rick? I stayed at one of his cabins in 2004 and now my wife drew a tag for next spring so if you have any information on the cabins please let me know. oh ya she drew the deadmans bay spring tag. Thanks
    Call Andrew Air in Kodiak they have the #