Thread: Kodiak Sitka Deer Hunting

Default Kodiak Sitka Deer Hunting

Headed to Larsen Bay on Kodiak Island next week for a deer hunt. I have never been there, so I was hoping for any tips or pointers. I have years of hunting blacktail in the Pacific NW, but I would appreciate anything regarding the area around Larsen Bay, bears, etc...? Thanks.

Have never been to that particular area but for Kodiak deer hunting bring lined leather gloves.... they really help to save your skin while parting the brush on the mountain sides.

Kotton and I are going to be there on the 12th through the 18th. We're going to be with Kodiak Charters, I'll be deer hunting with a bow. Never been before and my experience is the same as yours, I use to hunt blacktails a lot back in Oregon. I imagine they're the same animal, just in more open country and easier to see.

Small world. We will be passing eachother in the doorway on the 12th. I am staying with Kodiak Charters as well and am hunting the 7th to the 12th. I guess I'll get to share my experience with you in person next Saturday!

[QUOTE=toddd;1032901]Small world. We will be passing eachother in the doorway on the 12th. I am staying with Kodiak Charters as well and am hunting the 7th to the 12th. I guess I'll get to share my experience with you in person next Saturday![/QUOTEW]

We won't be arriving until the 13th. We fly over to kodiak on the night of the 12th and then out to the lodge the next morning. I guess they have several lodges too? I'm anxious to do some duck hunting over there too!

How did y'all do out there at Kodiak Charters??? Im heading that way with my bow Dec. 3-10.... Heard through the grapevine that there are a ton of good deer out there this year and some really nice deer being shot and seen as well... Ive hunted Southeast for Sitka Blacktails and have taken a few but wanted to experience something new on Kodiak... would love to talk a little bit about your hunt if your free... Thanks

I was hunting with 4 other guys and the only one with a bow. I brought a riffle as well and ended up hunting 3 of the 4 days with it. I tagged out with three small bucks - unfortunately all with my riffle. Bow hunting with 4 other riffle hunters in the area is a waste of time. Overall 5 guys harvested eleven deer. Two nice bucks that will go around 105" where taken by our group. Feel free to get in touch with me if you want more specifics. Lots of deer for sure! Should be a good hunt!

We will be there same time as you AKcubpilot...I've hunted it in the past and usually the bucks have dropped most of their horns by then.

We harvested 10 for 4 guys, mostly dink forked horns. The other group in the house shot 1 deer for 4 hunters. The other house did about as well as them. Way too many hunters being crammed through that bay. We saw lots of deer but all but three we saw were forked horns, and we killed those three bucks.

Weather was a big factor as it kept the deer holding tight in the brush oh and be prepared for brush, there's a lot of it! Once the weather cleared I killed a 4x4 and a 3x3 but felt extremely lucky to have seen such bucks.

I tried with a bow as well for the first two days and said the heck with it and took the rifle out. It's possible to get one there just like anything else but the likelyhood is slim to none that you'll be coming home with a deer.

Am wondering, as it sounds like some of you guys we're hunting some "well used" area,

Did anyone hike out of Larsen Bay, to the west, dropping into Karluk river valley and nearby hills?

Figuring that might be a good way to get further from the regular lodge drop-offs, and into another drainage, for "not-so-hard," hunted grounds?

Would love to see some pics from these success stories, whether fork horns or 3-4pt bucks, I don't care, post pics

Am currently going "huntless" this fall doing shipyard duty in Western Wash. So any, "Kodiak deer on the grass,"photos would help with my "missing out blues"

Congrats, on the good hunt reports so far
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks a bunch for your reports fellas... The way it sounds is that there are pleny of deer in the area but due to the amount of people getting pushed through the bay, that the bigger mature deer a few and far between! Makes complete sense... My buddy and myself will bow hunt primarily, but will also be taking our Thompson Center muzzleloaders with us as well... My buddy was out that way a couple weeks ago and basically had the same report, but he ended up harvesting 3 with his bow and one ended up green scoring 109 7/8" as a 4x4... a quick question for the guys that were out there the past few weeks, what elevation were you seeing/harvesting your deer?? Trying to get a semi game plan put together in my head before we get there.. I know a lot of factors are involved in this, mainly weather!! This is my first time in the hunting in the Larson Bay area, so any little tid bit pointers in the right direction would be a plus as well... Thanks again for your graciousness and Ill be more then willing to post pics when I get back depending on the outcome!!

One priceless piece of equipment on any Kodiak hunt is a pair of cleats. Whether a slip on pair for over your boots, or cleated soles on a pair of Korkers, they can be invaluable. The grassy hillsides can be extremely slick, and you can run into shelf ice on the beaches. From the sounds of it, you'll need to prepare to climb. Get up before daylight, climb above brush line, and look for deer coming up from the beaches. Sometimes you'll catch them still feeding on the beaches, eating rose hips, seaweed, or cottonwood tips at daybreak. From my experience, though, even in hard hunted areas, if you climb, you'll find deer. For putting meat on the ground, a fawn bleat will bring lots of does= just be careful of bears.

I imagine the hunting will be a lot different than it was a few weeks ago.