Thread: jerky,moose,deer,caribou,beef

Default jerky,moose,deer,caribou,beef

I just started making my own jerky last month my girlfiend got me a very nice drier from sportmans things pretty cool. I been using the packets they sell a shortmans.just wondering whay you guys use. thanks Mike
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

i go simple lol.....I just cut my meat into thin strips, soak it in my favorite marinade in the fridge for 2 days or so, then cook it in a dehydrater until its ready, takes from 6-12 hours depending on how big the batch is......it gets eaten up pretty **** fast though.....

Release Lake Trout

I got the basic steps i was looking differant marinade and that short of stuff thanks tho.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I got the basic steps i was looking differant marinade and that short of stuff thanks tho.
    Start out using Hi Mountain, which is probably what you got from Sportsmans, then when you feel like it start to add some of your own spices fit whatever you are in the mood for (sweeter, spicier, hotter etc, etc, etc).

I've been using this one for about 15 years. The only thing I've changed on this is I arrange all the meat on cookie racks on a pan and put it in our convection oven @ 150 degrees for about 6 hours.

Venison Jerky

3-5 lb. venison
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup apple or orange juice (I perfer apple)
    1/4 cup sugar (I use karo)
    1 T. liquid smoke
    1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper (I use 1 tbsp.)
    1/2 tsp. mustard seed
    l tsp. mustard powder
    l tsp. onion powder
    3/4 tsp. garlic powder

Cut partially frozen meat into 1/4 inch slices being sure to cut with the
    grain for chewy jerky, against the grain for brittle jerky. Combine all
    ingredients and marinate meat in refrigerator overnight. Stir occasionally (I put it in the brine for 8 to 10 hours). Drain in sieve.

Arrange strips of meat on rack with newspaper underneath for dripping
    juices. Sprinkle black pepper on meat and then place meat in smoker set at l25 - 145 degrees. Leave vents open for 30 - 45 minutes. Use your favorite sawdust or chips for smoking. Smoke until meat is thoroughly dry, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. (I put it in a l50 degree oven for 8 to 10 hours.)

Take some beef bullion cubes put them in a ziploc freezer bag use a rollin pin to crush em to a fine powder put it in an empty salt shaker then sprinkle it on your meat kinda heavy like add a little pepper then just dehydrate it, simple and very tasty.

Nothing wrong with marinades and spices, so many delicious choices, but at least once try making jerky without adding anything. I've tried many recipes but honestly I still like the simple flavor of plain meat best.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Plain, Salt, Salt n Pepper, Alder or Cottonwood smoked, and odd combinations of all that............
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Two weeks ago I made moose Smoked Polish sasusage, moose smoked Jalapeno Summer sausage, 15 lbs of smoked brisket, 20 lbs of smoked honey bacon, 6 lbs of moose jerky, and a couple smoked boiled eggs.
    The Jal summer was from a packet, the rest was made from scratch. Love making my own stuff to eat.
    This next batch I'll make some Boidin sausage and probably another batch of Polish that isn't smoked.
    You really can't go wrong using the Hi-mountain seasonings if thats what you choose.
    BK

PS-Bacon is soooo easy to make and it's a ton better than any store bought, plus about 1/2 or less on the price per lb. when done.

Sometimes I just use salt pepper and smoke, but most of the time I use this:

3-5 lb. venison
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/8-1/4 cup Cholulas hot sauce
    1/8-1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/8-1/4 cup salt
    2 tbsp. garlic powder
    2 tbsp. pepper
    l tsp. paprika
    l tbsp. onion powder

I let the meat sit in this marinade for from 2 hours to over night in the refrigerator, stirring a few times. I then lay it out on racks and put it into my big chief smoker and use one pan of smoke and then let the heat do it's thing till the meat is dry enough.

I am about to do some venison that has been rubbed with 1 cup salt and 1 cup brown sugar, what I use on smoked salmon, for 2 days.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I am about to do some venison that has been rubbed with 1 cup salt and 1 cup brown sugar, what I use on smoked salmon, for 2 days.
    Reminder to my self, Never use Iodized table salt for any kind of preservation. I have made tis several times before with kosher salt and had great results. Todays batch is barely edible because it taste too salty.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Just finished up some jalapeno/cheese brats last night. It was my first try at this type of brat and I don't like to follow recipes to the T, I like to get a few different recipes that look good and put in what sounds good. Well they turned out great but are not as hot as I thought they would be. I used 20lbs of meat and 1.5lbs of jalapenos, I also put in 4 tbs of cayenne. I think next time i will put in a little red pepper flakes to bring the heat up. I've got one more batch to do this week so I can brew some beer this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Reminder to my self, Never use Iodized table salt for any kind of preservation. I have made tis several times before with kosher salt and had great results. Todays batch is barely edible because it taste too salty.
    It won't taste too salty if you measure the salt by weight instead of by volume, (or if you just use half as much).

Kosher salt and table salt (iodized or not) are the same chemical, but the crystals form a different size and shape (small cubes vs. large platelets). The kosher salt grains take up approximately twice as much volume for the same weight. (Check the kosher salt box for an exact conversion, since different brands manufacture different flake sizes.) So you basically doubled your salt in that recipe, it'll work fine if you use half as much table salt next time.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.