The USFWS is soliciting comments on bears on Kenai and Russian Rivers, with a November 7th deadline. Here is the letter I received:

Kenai Russian River Collaborative Public Process -- Working Together to Reduce Human-Bear Conflicts

Public Comments Requested by next Monday, November 7 regarding ways to reduce Human-Bear Conflicts at the Kenai-Russian River

Please email your comments to to:
(Please put “Kenai-Russian River Comment” in the email’s subject line)

We are interested in your comments regarding fish waste management, temporal and spatial closures, bear management, education, regulations & enforcement, infrastructure/campground, and trails & visibility.

The attached “Discussion Guide” presents information about the work the agencies has done to date, their preliminary findings about management actions being considered, and questions they would like you to express your opinion about.

Your comments will assist the management agencies in drafting the five-year management plan to reduce human-bear conflicts at the Kenai-Russian River area.

THANK YOU for your interest and involvement. I want to particularly thank those of you who were able to attend one of the public forums in Soldotna, Cooper Landing and Anchorage last week. We very much appreciate your time and the comments that you shared.

For more information on this project, please visit the project website at:

Please call me at 907-523-4610 or contact me via email at with any questions.

Jan Caulfield, Facilitator

Jan Caulfield Consulting
114 S. Franklin St., Ste. 203
Juneau, AK 99801
Phone: 907-523-4610