Thread: Beluga Whales in Turnagain Arm

Default Beluga Whales in Turnagain Arm

Anyone know why there are whales in the arm this time of year? Saw several of them on a high tide just a few days ago. Heard that they chase salmon but are there salmon in the arm this time of year? Or are they there just looking for food? Fun to see them as they were really close to the highway.

some of the streams have late runs of silvers at the head of turnagain arm this time of year, and yea they could just be hunting for food....

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for the note. I too have heard about late silvers around Portage but never really seen any reports here on the forum of anyone personally catching these fish. Where are those fish heading? Twenty Mile, Portage or Placer?

I know there are some heading up 20 mile, and some going up placer as well.....not sure bout portage.....ingram creek might get a few too....ive got friends that have seen them in placer in the middle of november, as well as 20mile....I read in a book by Rick Rydell that there was a 4 year late run of silvers in placer that runs thru early december....

Release Lake Trout

Ok, that would explain it then why the whales are there. Also heard of whales up Knik Arm this time of year. Maybe something going on in those rivers up there like the Matanuska or Knik. Could be more of these late runs than we know.

I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard from reliable sources that there are actually numerous "runs" of silvers in the Kenai and that some of them actually enter the river under the ice. I would surmise that it's the same for all rivers in south central.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Biologist say that there are silvers in the Kenai 11 months of the year. June is the only month you won't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Biologist say that there are silvers in the Kenai 11 months of the year. June is the only month you won't find any.
    This is from a "knowledgeable" source, but there have been recorded "silver runs" in the Kenai from about Aug. through Jan. or Feb. But, unfortunately those "late run" silvers enter the river and head upstream as fast as they possibly can. So you have the 2ft. of ice on the river to contend with as well as the fact that those fish are heading from tidewater to breeding grounds 50 river miles or more as quickly as they can possibly make it. Kind of hard to catch them with that hanging over you head.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    This is from a "knowledgeable" source, but there have been recorded "silver runs" in the Kenai from about Aug. through Jan. or Feb. But, unfortunately those "late run" silvers enter the river and head upstream as fast as they possibly can. So you have the 2ft. of ice on the river to contend with as well as the fact that those fish are heading from tidewater to breeding grounds 50 river miles or more as quickly as they can possibly make it. Kind of hard to catch them with that hanging over you head.
    I have caught several silvers below the Kenai Lake bridge in February, no chromers though, pretty red and pretty weak.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yeah Dave, I picked up a seasoned fisherman hitchhiking on the Kenai while I was bringing my boat back to Anchorage. He confirmed this and said that he has caught or seen silvers on the Kenai caught through May. It would be very difficult to catch them, but it is not hard to believe that they are in there. And the inference to the happening in other rivers in South Central is spot on.

SHHHHHH!!! Come on guys! Let's not ruin yet another unknown locals-only fishery by telling the whole world that we are still fishing down here!

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

thinkin back to my younger days i can recall finding semi fresh silvers in upper cambell creek into late november.....this was 12 years ago though, so not sure anymore.....

Release Lake Trout

OK, how would one fish for them......flies, spinner, etc. I ask this in the context of survival in the event of say no food coming to Alaska, I am not a sport fisherman. So this would winter survival fishing.....???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK, how would one fish for them......flies, spinner, etc. I ask this in the context of survival in the event of say no food coming to Alaska, I am not a sport fisherman. So this would winter survival fishing.....???
    when we found them in the kenai lake outlet a couple years back we put on single hook #2 vibraxes, hopin for some trout but the silvers chased em and hammered em hard....it was be easy to catch one in the event of an emergency i should think.....

Release Lake Trout

I think I'll walk across the road and give the 6-mile creek a good flogging next month.

CWM907: What other rivers have winter runs of silvers like the Kenai and those Portage area rivers? Wouldn't mind giving it a try. Can believe November or even December, like the Chilkat I think. But through winter on until almost summer? Wow that just blows my mind! Those whales in Turnagain and elsewhere must be there for a reason. How come we never hear or read more about these winter fish?