Thread: Going to Kodiak for road system deer hunt- advice?

Default Going to Kodiak for road system deer hunt- advice?

As the title says, I am taking the ferry out of homer bound for Kodiak with my wife and 5 year old son. It isnt really a hunting trip, but a short vacation and taking the frontstuffer for a ride...... Anyone have any advice? I have never been to Kodiak so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I hope you get some good pointers. I poked around on the road system while stuck waiting for a flight back home in 2009. Neat country for sure but we were pretty lost as far as where we could go. Time spent to research the public/private land ownership would have been a big help so that is what I recommend. We were just there with some spare time so we rented an economy car, talked to the guy at the outdoors store and took off.

The easy way to sort the public from private land is not to bother. Just buy the permit from the native corp. That opens up vast areas of excellent terrain, most of it better than the public land. And you aren't likely to see another hunter, much less have them disrupt a hunt.

As for terrain, count on the bigger bucks to be up high until the last few days of the season unless some snow falls beforehand. Then it's Katie bar the door. Lots of deer around, but be a little leery of the headwaters of creeks and rivers. The salmon have moved well up and the bears along with them. Lots of the timber is fairly open, but you'll find most of your deer where the timber meets the alders, especially along ridge tops. The grassland/alder regions predominate and you'll find most of your deer in the upper third of the alder fields, with the best bucks moving from there up into the tundra or back down into the brush depending on weather. If the weather is snorting, look for them in the timber and brush on the lee side of mountains. Watch the tides, too. Early morning low tides suck deer out of the high country like a vacuum pump.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The easy way to sort the public from private land is not to bother. Just buy the permit from the native corp. That opens up vast areas of excellent terrain, most of it better than the public land. And you aren't likely to see another hunter, much less have them disrupt a hunt.

As for terrain, count on the bigger bucks to be up high until the last few days of the season unless some snow falls beforehand. Then it's Katie bar the door. Lots of deer around, but be a little leery of the headwaters of creeks and rivers. The salmon have moved well up and the bears along with them. Lots of the timber is fairly open, but you'll find most of your deer where the timber meets the alders, especially along ridge tops. The grassland/alder regions predominate and you'll find most of your deer in the upper third of the alder fields, with the best bucks moving from there up into the tundra or back down into the brush depending on weather. If the weather is snorting, look for them in the timber and brush on the lee side of mountains. Watch the tides, too. Early morning low tides suck deer out of the high country like a vacuum pump.

Good to know. I have not had a whole lot of time to research any of this as we put this together at the last minute about 2 days ago. This is my leave time before I deploy again so, last minute is our thing. We leave the night of the 3rd and get to Kodiak about noon on the fourth and leave the night of the 7th. I am not planning on hunting that hard, but if we just happen to hike a couple of trails and see a deer so be it. Possibles bag, knives, game bags, slip over boots and some warm clothes is all im bringing. I cant wait. We have talked about going to Kodiak since we got here 6 years ago and never got around to it, so this is probably going to be our last chance. Like I said before, WE CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

There are still a few late silvers arriving in the rivers, so bring a couple of rods if your family is so inclined. Be on hand for the first three hours or so of the incoming tides.