Thread: Bear Spray

Default Bear Spray

Flying into Fairbanks next Aug. on vac. Where can we purchase Bear Spray from? Was not sure if I have to go to the local Sporting Goods store or if Fred Meyer carried it.

Thanks

Both places carry spray.

Morgan
    -Soldotna

Ya, there are 2 Freddies, 1 walmart and 4 or 5 sporting goods stores here that will have it... right next to the bug dope. You'll use more of that than the bear spray. Buy the stuff with LOTS of DEET.... Uncle Bens is 100%

I've bought more than 1 can of bug spray that didn't have enough pressure to work and it makes me wonder at times if the bear spray I have is the one that won't work. Kinda like my 454 casull. It gives me 6 chances maybe?.......lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

They sell these in town as well....

Quote Originally Posted by WISHILV'DINAK! View Post
    Flying into Fairbanks next Aug. on vac. Where can we purchase Bear Spray from? Was not sure if I have to go to the local Sporting Goods store or if Fred Meyer carried it.

Thanks
    You can also purchase some bear bells when you get some bug spray. I would recommend carrying at least two bear bells per person.

My suggestion is much like Snyd's, bear spray doesn't work well in wind and is almost sure to mess you up for atleast a few hours if the bear is up wind, last time i was in AK, something i noticed is it is windy! I'd rather spend $400-$500 on a gun than spend a week or more in the hospital or forever in a box... read my signature

Thanks for the info. & advice. I want to have both spray & gun, but not sure how I would get the gun back to Western NY. I will have to research that to see what is involved. Too bad nobody rents!

Quote Originally Posted by WISHILV'DINAK! View Post
    Thanks for the info. & advice. I want to have both spray & gun, but not sure how I would get the gun back to Western NY. I will have to research that to see what is involved. Too bad nobody rents!
    You can take the gun with you on the plane as checked luggage. It just needs to be in a proper locked case. If you already have one just bring it with you.

I have heard that a road flare is a good bear deterrent. They are loud, smoky, and on fire. I'd still prefer the security of having a firearm, but I do usually also have a road flare with me for signalling/emergency fire starting anyway and if you're just trying to keep a bear away rather than defend against a charge that might be a way to do it.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

"...purchase some bear bells when you get some bug spray."

Everything I've read on that subject says bear bells have absolutely no effect on bears. Not that I'm against tourists buying them; it brings more money into the state economy. It also lets other hikers know you're around while not scaring the bears away.

So, that's what those little silver balls are I keep finding in the bear scat...:-]

Morgan
    -Soldotna

Bear Bells... they are NOT supposed to frighten the bear. What they do is introduce an unnatural sound into the environ that the bear will pick up on, thereby averting his attention to you. All they do is help you avoid surprising a bear at close range. Most bears, when alerted to your presence, will stay back or alter course to avoid you. Most bears will be curious about you and what you are, so don't expect the bells to make the bear leave. What works a lot better than bells is the human voice. Some people sing or just carry on a loud conversation with their partner as they walk through bear country. What you don't want to do is try to silently sneak through the woods.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It might be a little heavier and require more effort, but a Bear French Horn, might do an even better job of introducing unnatural sounds to the bears.

Ha! I knew those French Horn lessons from grade school would eventually pay off.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Bear Bells... they are NOT supposed to frighten the bear. What they do is introduce an unnatural sound into the environ that the bear will pick up on, thereby averting his attention to you. All they do is help you avoid surprising a bear at close range. Most bears, when alerted to your presence, will stay back or alter course to avoid you. Most bears will be curious about you and what you are, so don't expect the bells to make the bear leave. What works a lot better than bells is the human voice. Some people sing or just carry on a loud conversation with their partner as they walk through bear country. What you don't want to do is try to silently sneak through the woods.
    Thanks, you saved me the time, I was just going to write the exact same thing.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

HEEEEERRR BROWNIE BROWNIE BROWNIE......HEEEEERRR BROWNIE BROWNIE BROWNIE...

Worst Bear call I ever tried. It still hasn't worked..... Even with pack full of sheep busting through the alders....