Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Bear Spray

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    17

    Default Bear Spray

    Flying into Fairbanks next Aug. on vac. Where can we purchase Bear Spray from? Was not sure if I have to go to the local Sporting Goods store or if Fred Meyer carried it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member alaskafilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Both places carry spray.


    Morgan
    -Soldotna

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Ya, there are 2 Freddies, 1 walmart and 4 or 5 sporting goods stores here that will have it... right next to the bug dope. You'll use more of that than the bear spray. Buy the stuff with LOTS of DEET.... Uncle Bens is 100%

  4. #4
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    I've bought more than 1 can of bug spray that didn't have enough pressure to work and it makes me wonder at times if the bear spray I have is the one that won't work. Kinda like my 454 casull. It gives me 6 chances maybe?.......lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    They sell these in town as well....




  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WISHILV'DINAK! View Post
    Flying into Fairbanks next Aug. on vac. Where can we purchase Bear Spray from? Was not sure if I have to go to the local Sporting Goods store or if Fred Meyer carried it.

    Thanks
    You can also purchase some bear bells when you get some bug spray. I would recommend carrying at least two bear bells per person.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania for now
    Posts
    53

    Default

    My suggestion is much like Snyd's, bear spray doesn't work well in wind and is almost sure to mess you up for atleast a few hours if the bear is up wind, last time i was in AK, something i noticed is it is windy! I'd rather spend $400-$500 on a gun than spend a week or more in the hospital or forever in a box... read my signature

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks for the info. & advice. I want to have both spray & gun, but not sure how I would get the gun back to Western NY. I will have to research that to see what is involved. Too bad nobody rents!

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WISHILV'DINAK! View Post
    Thanks for the info. & advice. I want to have both spray & gun, but not sure how I would get the gun back to Western NY. I will have to research that to see what is involved. Too bad nobody rents!
    You can take the gun with you on the plane as checked luggage. It just needs to be in a proper locked case. If you already have one just bring it with you.

  10. #10
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    I have heard that a road flare is a good bear deterrent. They are loud, smoky, and on fire. I'd still prefer the security of having a firearm, but I do usually also have a road flare with me for signalling/emergency fire starting anyway and if you're just trying to keep a bear away rather than defend against a charge that might be a way to do it.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    "...purchase some bear bells when you get some bug spray."

    Everything I've read on that subject says bear bells have absolutely no effect on bears. Not that I'm against tourists buying them; it brings more money into the state economy. It also lets other hikers know you're around while not scaring the bears away.

  12. #12
    Member alaskafilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    61

    Default

    So, that's what those little silver balls are I keep finding in the bear scat...:-]


    Morgan
    -Soldotna

  13. #13
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Bear Bells... they are NOT supposed to frighten the bear. What they do is introduce an unnatural sound into the environ that the bear will pick up on, thereby averting his attention to you. All they do is help you avoid surprising a bear at close range. Most bears, when alerted to your presence, will stay back or alter course to avoid you. Most bears will be curious about you and what you are, so don't expect the bells to make the bear leave. What works a lot better than bells is the human voice. Some people sing or just carry on a loud conversation with their partner as they walk through bear country. What you don't want to do is try to silently sneak through the woods.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  14. #14
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    It might be a little heavier and require more effort, but a Bear French Horn, might do an even better job of introducing unnatural sounds to the bears.

  15. #15
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Ha! I knew those French Horn lessons from grade school would eventually pay off.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  16. #16
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Bear Bells... they are NOT supposed to frighten the bear. What they do is introduce an unnatural sound into the environ that the bear will pick up on, thereby averting his attention to you. All they do is help you avoid surprising a bear at close range. Most bears, when alerted to your presence, will stay back or alter course to avoid you. Most bears will be curious about you and what you are, so don't expect the bells to make the bear leave. What works a lot better than bells is the human voice. Some people sing or just carry on a loud conversation with their partner as they walk through bear country. What you don't want to do is try to silently sneak through the woods.
    Thanks, you saved me the time, I was just going to write the exact same thing.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    HEEEEERRR BROWNIE BROWNIE BROWNIE......HEEEEERRR BROWNIE BROWNIE BROWNIE...

    Worst Bear call I ever tried. It still hasn't worked..... Even with pack full of sheep busting through the alders....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •