Thread: Brown bear on mantague mid November

Default Brown bear on mantague mid November

So I'm going deer hunting on montague in a couple of weeks. I picked up the rb100 registration bear tag in case I was to run across a bear while I'm out there. There is four of us going out there and we are all gonna have bear tags just in case. I highly doubt we would all shoot a bear but I would like to bring salt just in case we get one or two. My question is how much salt should I bring? I don't really wanna pack 200 lbs of salt per a thread I read that said 50 lbs per brown bear for two saltings. I have never shot a bear and if I do would like to get a rug made. Any tips on field dressing and possible extra equipment for fleshing the hide would be greatly appreciated. We are gonna be out there for 6 days and traveling by boat, the temp shouldn't be an issue as it should be in the 30's and 40's. Again any help would be appreciated cause this would be my first hide I am gonna keep and don't want to mess it up.

I know people who would get their bear, rug it out, do a descent job of fleshing it, then leave it in the 30 - 40 degree weather (dry of course) and then get the bear to the taxidermist as soon as they get back.

You won't have to bother with salting and they will take care of the bare bones fleshing, knuckling, and getting the skull out.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    I know people who would get their bear, rug it out, do a descent job of fleshing it, then leave it in the 30 - 40 degree weather (dry of course) and then get the bear to the taxidermist as soon as they get back.

You won't have to bother with salting and they will take care of the bare bones fleshing, knuckling, and getting the skull out.
    And, if after you get it home you cannot get to a taxidermist right away, put it in the freezer.

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.. one that seals, yo ucan find them at lowes for a couple bucks.. they will hold 50 pounds of salt. Most feed stores, 3 bears, etc has salt in 25 and 50 pound bags.. Once you get a bear, all red meat and fat has to be removed form the hide.. the ears, and lips turned and the eyes split.. Feed removed, toes removed.. etc.. then and only then can you put salt on it.. Fleshing a big bear is a large chore.. Takes allot of time.. if your lucky enough to get a bear.. the proper field care you give it will significantly help in the overall finish of your bear what ever you shall decide to have done to it.. Sloppy care.. = a below average finished product..

Hoytguy

bring a havalon knife and extra blades which will aid you in doing the best skinning job as well as for the finer areas, like the head and paws and legs , and a good sharp ulu to flesh the hide back in camp after you finish skinning it...for fleshing, drape the hide over a log or a big boulder head down and starting at the tail, work your way down the hide towards the head....holes are okay, a taxi can fix em...youll save a good $200+ bucks doing this....and you dont need 200 lbs of salt.....basics- keep it as dry as you can, and 25lbs of salt will be more than enough if you do a good fleshing job....the havalon knife is very capable of takin out the knuckles, turning eyes,ears, lips, etc...which will save you even more money, however do not try this unless you fully comfortable and have a steady hand, as these areas are hard to repair and its really easy to slip and cut yourself....good luck on your hunt

Release Lake Trout

thank you for the replys, all info is much appreaciated