Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince Me

Default Convince Me

I'm getting charged up about my first season fishing in AK, but don't know how to get prepped. I've spent my life in farm ponds fishing for bass, bluegill, and catfish- never been in waters with salmon and trout. My intention this summer is to stock my landlord's freezer with salmon for the year. She's been great to me and has helped me out when things were not well. She eats salmon almost every night year round, so I'd like to provide her with as much as I can and have fun doing it. Here's my question: do I want to buy a spincast rod and reel or do I want to learn to fly fish? My three friends up here fly fish and love it. I'm very interested in learning the art of it., but am I gonna spend most of my summer on the steep end of the learning curve and missing out on catching my limit of salmon if I go that route? I've only got the means to buy one rod and reel for this season and want to do what's going to keep my landlord (and friend) filled with salmon for awhile. All input appreciated.

If you're out for meat, I say don't go with the fly fishing rod. If you've been here long enough (if you're eligible), then dipnet, too.

I want to get some enjoyment out of it as well as meat. Can't say that dipnetting appeals to me and I probably haven't lived here long enough. How long do you need to live here in order to dipnet? Thanks for the input.

Default spinning or baitcasting

If you go with a fly rod, you can only do one kind of fishing with it for salmon, which is "flipping" or "flossing" depending on what you want to call it. People do it for all species, but it's also done with a spinning or casting outfit. However, with a spinning or casting setup, you can also throw spoons or spinners or soak bait.

I've got a stout 7' Ugly Stick with a Penn 5500 spinning reel on which I've caught kings and silvers from Ship Creek, and loads of Kenai sockeyes.

There are lots of good outfits out there. To fill the freezer and if you only have money for one outfit, I'd recommend a good all around spinning or casting set up.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I'm a flyfishing fanatic but I'll have to agree with the spin casting advice. Get yourself a good rig, I personally like a rod at least 8'6" long, cant go wrong with penn reels and have fun. If you want some flyfishing instruction and a chance to give it a try for yourself send me a PM.

Rick P

Default Ah heck

You don't need fancy gear, I started with a 5 pc Eagle Claw Break down Fly / Spin with a Mitchell 300, still got it too, and no money. Caught plent of fish in the combat zone. Don't fish fresh water anymore, to many peeps. Hit garage sales in the rich parts of town, you'll find those city yuppys selling good gear for cheap.
    I plan on offering when I can trips on my boat in share a ride out of Whittier this summer.

I'm a giant bait caster fan, and a super-giant Abu Garcia fan. I tried my fly rod this last season on kings and didn't like it much, but I will keep trying to catch the fly fishing fever that so many have. If you wanna stock the freezer at minimal cost, my advice would be to get an Abu Garcia 5500 type reel, and medium heavy action rod, some Power Pro 50-80 lb. test and crank 'em in. I filled my freezer in a week, had to buy a stand-up freezer, and filled that in another 3 weeks, but I had a few halibut in there too. I use mainly the 80-lb. Power Pro super braid and I haven't come across a fish yet that can break it.

Salmon every day, eh????
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

"Salmon every day, eh?"

She's a vegetarian except eats some fish. She really digs on salmon and so far in the past three weeks since I've moved in seems like she has it almost every night.
    Seems that it's unanimous that I go with the spincaster setup, and I like the garage sale idea. I'll do some looking around at the sportsman show next weekend to get a better idea of what's out there. I assume my bluegill filet knife is not going to be large enough for a king.
    Next question: I live at the far south end of Anchorage and will have limited time this summer. As much as I don't want to spend time in the truck, I most definitely don't want to be fishing shoulder to shoulder with people. Forgive my naiveity (sic?), but can I just park somewhere along Turnagain Arm and cast off below the road? It's a little overwhelming to know where to go if you're new here.
    Thanks again for all the input. As much as I love winter, I'm ready for the water to open up.

Fishing the arm it's self is not verey productive you could get close to one of the decent streams down there and fish the incomming tide but you'd have better luck at the stream mouth or on the stream its self. A good bet down that way would be bird creek. If the little woman eats salmon that often and yuor elagible you should give some serious thaught to dip netting to fill the freezer and spin casting for fun.I too am on a tight budget but if ya can get as far as palmer I'd be happy to have you tag along and teach you the basics.

Rick P

How long do you need to be a resident to dipnet? I've only been here since November 06. I can't say I'm too interested in dipnetting- just doesn't seem fair- but it would be a great way to fill the freezer. If I'm eligible, I'd make the trip to Palmer for sure.

Since you just got here in November, I don't think you'll be eligible for dipnetting until November next year...or actually summer of '08.
    You're not allowed very many kings each year--it was 5 a year out of the whole SAouthcentral Region when I was here before...think it might be down to 2 a year now. However, a little later in the year you should have no problem filling a freezer with Silvers and Reds, or Pinks, if you're so inclined.

Also, your fishing license and King stamp will each cost you a hundred bucks, unless you're military; that'll take a large chunk out of your gear budget. I'm seeing some used rods and reels starting to show up on craigslist; might check there.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org

I like baitcasters and flyfishing for salmon; much more successful casting than flyfishing, though. I go with an Abu Garcia 6500 (or similar) on an 8-8'6" med-heavy rod with 30 lb Trilene Big Game. I don't know what kind of spinning reels would hold up to kings; get a decent name brand with a good drag rated for at least 30 lb line and a 7'-8'6" Ugly Stik or Lamiglas spinning rod. There are some decent combos at Sportsman's Warehouse, Fred Meyer's, even Wal Mart has some decent stuff.

For dipnetting, you have to be a resident which means at least a year in state.

If you are stuck in Anchorage, go fish Ship creek for kings and then for silvers. It gets pretty crowded sometimes, but you can usually find some elbow room if you walk a little.

As far as gear goes, I assume you use a baitcaster for bass/catfish? No need to change, I have landed hundreds of salmon over the years with my Ambassadeur 6501C3 (I like the left handed models...). There is nothing like a baitcaster for fighting a big king. The drag is sooooo much smoother than a spinning reel and they cast a mile. You can find an inexpensive medium weight rod at Wal-mart (I used an Ugly Stik for years) and use a decent reel and have a great summer.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Wrong direction

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    How long do you need to be a resident to dipnet? I've only been here since November 06. I can't say I'm too interested in dipnetting- just doesn't seem fair- but it would be a great way to fill the freezer. If I'm eligible, I'd make the trip to Palmer for sure.
    Kenai or Chitina would be the places you would want to go.

As far as fairness; how fair is flossing a red ?

" as far as fairness, how fair is flossing a red?"
    - got me, what's flossing?

I've always used a Zebco 33 classic and a Shakespeare light/med rod, but assumed they would be too light for fishing up here- I'm pretty sure I left it down in IL.
    Don't know where Chitina is yet, but intend to make at least one trip to Kenai this summer.
    Now here's another can of worms (pun partially intended): what bait should I buy? I don't want to carry a big tackle box, nor spend two weeks income on lures. If you were to walk out of the house with only 5 different baits for a day- what would you bring?
    All of this is very helpful- thanks. I trust and value your input more than a sales associate at a local outdoor stores (where I was blown off by a salesman two weeks ago).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Kenai or Chitina would be the places you would want to go.

As far as fairness; how fair is flossing a red ?

Palmer to tag along stream fishing with me sorry maybe should have been clearer.
    Graeme We might be able to work out something to help fill the frezzer send me a PM

Bait is offten not allowed on streams during certin times and locations.
    If I had to chose 5 lures for casting from a bank theye'd be

1) Vibrax spinner in size 4 or 5( made by blue fox) I like yellow and oarnge combo colored spinners and the rainbom colored blad is hot too
    2) Lillte cleo spoon I actually prefeer these to the Pixee spoons they cast better and I've been using them for years, same colors
    3) A pixee spoon (another blue fox product)
    4) A flat fish...I know I know hard to fish from the bank but in the right conditions a deadly lure.
    5) spinner and bead rigs for the areas where bait is alowed.

Actually that almost sums up my spin casting tackle box.

Now this is new to me: why would bait not be allowed on certain streams and locations?

Default dude sounds like you better

get the regs and start reading. you don't want to get popped for doing something stupid. seen it happen and the guy had warrants for his arrest, good for me because the trooper filled out a transfer of game form and i got his reds. you never know who is next to you.

as far as rods, get a spinner, bait casters are a pain and if you do something wrong you are screwed. it will rat nest like son of buck. spinners are reliable and just gotta find a good rod, shakespears are nice and walmart sells a good variety or go B&J commercial or anywhere. good luck and I too might be offering fishing trips on my boat as well.

Fish and game limits not only weither you can use bait or not but single vs treble hooks, flys only sections of river, hours and days you can fish ect. They do this to manage the fish and ensure we always have plenty of them to go around.

PS did you get my PM?

Definitely don't want to get ticketed, so I'll grab a rules & regs book as soon as I can and start studying. This is a world away from lying in the grass fishing my uncle's pond with nightcrawlers. I'm psyched.
    I had a bait caster once (thought I was Bill Dance for a time) and backlashed the hell out of it on the first cast. Never again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast