Thread: Kotzebue Hunt Report

Default Kotzebue Hunt Report

I haven't been too active with the forums lately so with the onset of winter and things slowing down a bit I thought I'd share a report from our Kotz float hunt this year.

We decided to float the Anisak river into the Noatak again this year and went about a week later as we experienced some warm weather last year which slowed down the bou migration. The migration this year was definitely off with the animals in small groups spread out all over the north. Jim Kincaid of Northwestern Aviation told us when we arrived that a large group of animals had actually turned around and headed back up north, and that the majority of the animals heading South were moving down rivers they hadn't been seen in the last 5 years. The weather was alittle crappy for us with snow and high winds making the float difficult to manage. At one point the wind had put the Noatak up at a 4 foot chop and was actually pushing us back up stream. The first hunt of the adventure was a beautiful 7 foot Boar Grizzly that we stalked for about two hours as he fed on the side of a tall hill. Once he was down two guys stayed to skin him out and the rest of us took one of the rafts about 5 miles down river to a moosey area to call and try and pull out a bull. After a little sequence of bull grunts and brush thrashing we did manage to get a bull to respond and got him to 100 yards right as the second raft with the other guys came floating around the corner. They got there just in time to see the moose poke his head out of the brush and get shot before he stepped out into the river. The next morning we floated into one small group of Caribou and the three of us remaining who had not gotten animals yet connected and added some Bou meat to the pile in the rafts. The remainder of the trip was spent floating down to our pull out spot and enjoying the awesome scenery of the Northwest.

All in all we did not see as many animals on the Anisak this year. We saw a total of two legal bull moose, a handful of Caribou, and about 4 Grizzly. We did float past a few groups of guys drop camping who hadn't seen a single animal, so the trip was definitely a success for us and floating is definitely the way to go when thigs are slow. We floated a total of about 75 miles and saw some great and beautiful country. Jim Kincaid rents rafts right from his hanger and the rivers up there are nothing crazy for the novice float hunter. Here are some pictures of the trip....
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pictures...

Last pictures...

Cool!!

With time, effort and a highpower'd rifle, all things work out.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks for the trip report. After 2 Brooks Range trips and reading yours along with other's Kotz reports, I'm tempted to head out West to see another part of this beautiful state we call home.

Sounds like you had a great trip with great friends. Thanks for sharing.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks for the story and pics.
    Where's the bear pics??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice - thanks!

Nice Steve! been waiting for that one. Congrats on a solid float hunt!

Good job Swimmer,,,looks like a great time