Thread: What found me at the gunshow today.

Default What found me at the gunshow today.

I wandered 30 miles NW today to Marshaltown Ia. to attend their annual gunshow. There was about 2 hours of showtime left when I pulled into the parking lot. As I was walking up to the building an elderly gentleman in his upper 70's was by chance walking along side of me. He smiled and said are to trying to catch some end of the day bargains? I said yup! You too? He said no I'm going to sell my old gun that I bought back in the 70's. He then said I don't know what it's worth but my neighbor thinks I ought to get out of it what I gave for it back then. He then showed me his pristine S&W model 65-2 with pin barrel and recessed cylinders. Is it worth $250? he asked. I saved him from paying the $5 admission price and I have been smiling ever since!

I guess you will sleep good tonight???

You got stung. I bet he didn't pay more than $200 for it back then. Nice buy on a good gun. That's a heavy barreled 357, fixed sights right? Like a model 13 but SS? I have one of the M13's from the 70's. Slickest D/A there is, K frame S&W.

How you doing these days?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Nice find at that price. Can't beat an older Smith at a good price.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Sounds like a mutually beneficial deal. Nice find.

Of course, if the guy was a hit man back in the 70's...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You got stung. I bet he didn't pay more than $200 for it back then. Nice buy on a good gun. That's a heavy barreled 357, fixed sights right? Like a model 13 but SS? I have one of the M13's from the 70's. Slickest D/A there is, K frame S&W.

How you doing these days?

You got it Murphy! Heavy 4 inch barrel with a low profile front sight and notched rear. Mine has the square butt as well.
    The minimum for hunting deer in Iowa is 357 with a 4 inch barrel and after shooting a few cylinders of rather warm 180 grainers I am considering it. It shoots right with the sights as most of these did. For right now the Glock is on the dresser and the 65 is hanging out with me.

Murphy, send me a PM in regards to where in Mo. is it that you do all of your competitive shooting. I'd love to come down and watch some time!

Some time back S&W made the model 13 (blue version) in a 3" barrel. These were the early round butt guns. (Now everything is round butt) Probably a Lew Horton distributor gun, I don't know. I owned one for a while. Here just yesterday I walked into a shop and a guy was in the store trying to trade a 3" model, round butt , model 65, for a Glock nine MM. The shop offered him $250 on trade for the Glock. He walked out of the shop, I followed. Guess what $300 cash will buy? He then went to another store to spend his cash and I went to do a trigger job on a virtually new condition K frame 357. I had forgotten how nice a K frame Smith can be.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey Murph, I'll give 330.00 for that 13 you got there!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Hey Murph, I'll give 330.00 for that 13 you got there!
    Let me think about that.......no thanks. It has a set of Michaels soft rubber grips....were those standard? I have some K-frame combat finger groove grips but the softies make shooting very nice. It shoots 1" groups, 1" high at 15 yards with the 1100 fps 158 grain loads. I can live with that.

From the factory they typically had the standard round butt walnut panels. I know a widow that has one still in the box, one of these days I'll try to talk her out of it.

The M65 came in a 3" round butt as well, that and the 4" square butt were the only options. The FBI issued the 3" version for a while before they went to autos and I've been told by a couple retired troopers that the Oklahoma highway patrol were the first to receive the 4" models when they debuted. Probably useless trivia to most but I'm an Okie and have a good friend that is a retired FBI agent. BTW I've owned one of each and Murphy is right about the DA, my little 3" is scary smooth.