Thread: Globalstar Sat Coverage

Default Globalstar Sat Coverage

Searched the archives and could not find much in last couple of years. I know Globalstar used to have rubbish coverage up here (AK and for me Kodiak). But I heard rumours of new satellites covering AK and a new station thingy in Wasilla. Also Globalstar supports SPOT and they seem to have good reviews. So is Iridium still they only choice or is Globalstar now a competitor in AK?
    part of the reason I ask is that Globalstar phones can be picked up far cheaper than Iridium.

Personal experiences/thoughts?

As I understand it, Globalstar's satellite's were suffering from premature failure of some or all of their amplifier/transmitters that had to do with voice signals, but not the amplifier/transmitters having to do with data/text. Last I heard the situation was expected to gradually get worse. Spot devices use Globalstar's data/text system so their signal is unaffected by the problem.

They have installed an earth based station in Alaska, but I don't know if it has helped their sat phone signal in AK.

I use Globalstar all summer long down here in SE while commercial fishing. It's not the best, but I can usually pick up a signal and get a few minute long call in before it drops. Wasn't relaible enough to take sheep hunting though. Rented an iridium.

My understanding it that Globalstar fails in the far northern regions of Alaska and Canada (because the curvature of the earth blocks the line of sight to the low orbit Globalstar satellites) and also if you get down into a gully or canyon.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.