Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 foreman ES questions

Default 2006 foreman ES questions

Which machine has a lower 1st gear the 06 Foreman ES or the ES Rancher. Will the Foreman crawl out of a mud hole real slow and with good torque. I hear about an after market differential locker. Is the locker full time permanent or can it be unlocked. Anyone with experience with these after market lockers.

The only reason to buy a honda is for its unfalling reliablity. Honda is probably at the bottom of the atv list when it comes to gadgets and abilities.

If you want a mud machine almost all the other makes will do it atleast twice as good as a honda, but a honda will never stop running. That is their niche in the atv world. They will not go everywhere or have great pulling power or good mud abilities, but they will always start.

PS. lockers come standard on almost all the other makes of atv's

I own an 05 Honda Foreman ES. Last year I pulled a 2 place trailer 12 miles into the woods, up hills across creeks and through 2 feet of mud to save an Artic Cat whose hub locked up and wouldn't move! I weigh 190lbs, the other rider weighed 260lbs, the Artic Cat weighs 300lbs, and the trailer weighs about 500lbs. My stock little "BIG RED" never cried once or doubted the task at hand. The only stock items I'll change on it are the tires, and I'll never hesitate to take it anywhere. (Winches are confidence builders too! )

Default Honda

I don't know about the gearing between the Foreman and Rancher, call the dealer, they should be able to tell ya. I used an 06 Rubicon with 27" 589's to haul 2 trailers (yes, tandem trailers) in and out 23 miles last fall. One trailer was close to empty on the way in, full of meat on the way out. The Rubicon pulled both of these great. Through the mud, creeks, tundra. The only problem was a couple of hills, where I would disconnect one trailer, go to the top, disconnect, come back and get the other. (Sure beats unloading a trailer.) Had a 2001 Foreman ES with chains before the Rubicon, and it was a real workhorse as well. I will say, that no matter what machine you buy, get some good tires for it. Chains are OK, but they will load up with mud and spin. Large lug tires that will not load up work the best. I have also ridden a Suzuki with the Super Low and Diff Lock. Yeah, it was a tank, but required a lot of maintenance and really didn't get me to the same place any faster. I also used a Polaris Sportsman to get to the same place. Although it had a nice ride, it required a lot of maintenance as well and I didn't get to my destination any faster. I will choose a Honda because of low maintenance and high reliability.
    Last edited by talkeetnakid; 03-25-2007 at 11:43. Reason: spelling

Thumbs up Honda ATV

Still have my Honda Foreman 1988 350D..........need I say more!
    Alaska

Default Good Mudders

Wow! man you nailed it.
    My honda sure is worthless in the mud. No now wait a minit, let me think? The only thing Ive ever seen that my honda wouldnt go through, my boat would! I now, those weak ***** hondas wont pull a thing either,,,,No now wait a minit? That moose that the old yellow honda pulled out in a trailer from 35 miles out through boggs and tussaks weighed a ton, a whole moose in a large moose trailer. Heck that must have been a fluke.
    Darn, I sure wish I had a machine that was good in the hills too. Rats Id have never taken mine with a trailer up Mccolmb plateau, or top of the world had I realized it wouldnt do it. Heck I better not get my honda off the blacktop again now that I know they suck in the mud, and wont climb. Ive owned them for years and never knew that. Im glad Ive been educated.
    Strong argument,very compelling. Wow I need me one of those fancy mudders with lots of accessories.
    Got a question though? Isnt it sort of a strange thing to brag to your buddys "My wheelers Kick ***** ,itll go through handlebar deep mud, up hill in a blizzard pulling a house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when it starts and doesnt need towed home. But Darn it its great. You should get one! By the way fellas you mind giving me a ride home? My super mudder is broke again,,,,,,,,,,, yea yea I know. But Darnit Its got diferential locks!!!!!

Just yankin your chain. ;-) No offence

Default No offence

LOL One can jerk pretty hard if they end it with "No Offence."
    Ahh. I liked my 06' Foreman ES. I never used first gear if I was loaded light and fairly flat ground. I had 26 tires and it pulled no problems. The extra power of the foreman was nice but my brother can put two ranchers in the back of his P/U. I did tend to get high-centered a lot in the foreman. I ended up selling it and getting a rincon for the extra clearance. Notice the clearance the Humvees
    have? When I did get stuck, the 500 wasn't so heavy I couldn't get it out alone.

Thumbs up Foreman

I have a grizz 660 presently, but I had a foreman and it had a plenty low 1st gear, imho. The larger displacement should justify purchasing it over the rancher, especially if you are a bigger guy. The rancher is a great machine in its own right though.
    Hondas are great pulling machines right off the showroom floor!
    Now single rear axle comfort? thats another issue.

Default Rubicon's the way for me!

Yeah, I know they're expensive, but think about this, I've got four of them in the garage and that's for the cargo pulling power and reliability! Shaft drive, no belt to get wet or slip and smoke on you. Computer controlled and it really works to warn you of dianostic problems and to prevent you from doing harm to the machine. If I wanted a smooth ride I would ride groomed trails! I pulled my 300# Plaschem trailer loaded with 450# of gear up the north side of Monument at Eureka, I will admit that I barely made it! Not for lack of low gearing, which is fantastic! It was lack of traction, the ****.. trail up is loose gravel, dirt, and rock. They will haul a heavy load all day long in the worst conditions and not overheat, and not break down unless you abuse them. On the flip side, I was pushed down Monument with the same load and the computer controlled compression breaking did it's thing and I made it to the bottom to the Little Nelchina with very little braking.

Did I mention they ALWAYS start?

I've never owned a Honda but I have owned a Kawasaki 400, an Arctic Cat 500 and a Grizzly 660. My hunting partner is about 6'3" and 220 pounds and he has been riding a Honda 300 for years. He pulls as big a load as I do in his trailer. As has been stated in this forum before: there doesn't seem to be a bad quad made. It mostly depends on how much fancy and comfort you want to own and ride. My independent rear suspension is smooth as can be on my Grizzly but they are tippy on steep side hills where the old straight axle isn't.

Jim,
    You forgot to mention that old Yella and the meat trailer from HE!! also was upside down in water holes 3 times on the egress from way back in gods country. I winched it and the trailer right side up with Old green and old Yella started right up and continued the journey each time. Thats why I buy Hondas!

P.S. That was my moose in that mongo trailer old yella pulled plus our camp, 15 gallons of gas and one narly 44mag bullet hole in the side of it! <grin> you gotta love Johnny

LOL you guys are funny . Never said the hondas' couldn't do anything (well not in so many words ) Just meant that if you are thinking about modifying one before even buying it why not get one that has what you need it to have in the first place.

no offence taken nor meant to be given.

I will never own a honda (my wife loves them) but I have lots of friends who do and to me they just don't compare to the rest of them.

but they do always start

Stir

Could just be me but I dont buy $7k + four wheelers to go "MUDDING", I buy mine to be used as a tool. I remember when 300's and 350's were the standard cc's for wheelers that were workhorses and they served us great. A winch, an upgrade to some good tires that provide traction in muddy conditions and trail riding knowledge and I have yet to be outdone by any machine while riding my Hondas but if your out to make the trails unpassable by most anything except for a track rig get after it. I dont use my wheeler as a muddin toy, it hauls camp and meat and me and I have yet to see a Honda that didn't do that well. Not just in the first couple years I owned it but 10 years down the road as well. Dont let commercials and mass advertising of fancy new features be the scale tipper at decision time. Its a tool that you can use for 10-15 years dependably if you make the right decision on initial purchase. People can preach all day long on these forums about ground clearence, Independent suspension and viscous lockers and low, super low, and super super low gears, all that dont mean squat to me and never has. Unless you like hanging out at the wheeler shop getting things fixed or worrying about who is the closest dealer to your home so repairs are convenient , Buy a Honda! Its your hard earned cash so spend it how you will, but never seen anyone hurt by some quality advice, and thats what I just gave out, and it was free.

<grins>

Cool The rest of them?

What is the rest of them?
    Lets see,,,you mean Artic cat? Well the jury is out on them because there too new in the ATV world. Kids and women love them. There shiny and cool looking.
    Polaris,,, You couldnt mean them, cause There the worst heck Id rather drive a Yamaha. Woops , did I say that out loud?
    You can bolt on a bunch of stuff on those others, heck they all look like they drove through walmart with a magnet attached. Its funny watching all those bolt ons break at -20.
    Sorry thats not fair, Ive never seen a Polaris that would start at -20.
    All that crap is handy when you roll one down a drainage like I did old blue. At least you can follow the wreckage and find the wheeler.
    Maybe a Kawa,,,,,,,,,, well they dont even count.
    How about a BOBMA,,bonbad,,,,, I cant even pronounce it. Well call it a Ski-dooo wheeler. May as well get a pickup if you need somthing that big.

Heck Cub. I love these guys that drive those wheelers. Every time I tow one out I get to talk more Sh#@.

Did I mention that my wheeler is a Honda 450 ES?

Yes I agree, Hondas are great. If you like riding underpowered, 3 wheel drive rigs with drum brakes and like to brag them up with the same fever as them guys wearing orange dresses at the airports.

I wish they would bring back the 3 wheelers. The Big Red was the greatest thing since sliced bread for running up and down the beach in Nome.

Rancher has a lower first gear then the foreman - love my rancher - not the fastest, or the most "technilogically advanced" but its always done anything I've asked of it, be it mud, snow, or hauling.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Rancher has a lower first gear then the foreman - love my rancher - not the fastest, or the most "technilogically advanced" but its always done anything I've asked of it, be it mud, snow, or hauling.
    Ah...finally an answer to the question!

I love the Big Red too! I still have an '83 that is all but done for. Axle is bent, brakes shot, but engine still runs! My dad may split the bill with me and send me up two '84 Big Reds from WA since he's not using them; supposedly in excellent condition! A little outdated but the price is right.

Tim

Default big red

I loved the old Big Red when I was a kid. Its too bad the lawyers had to go and ruin it for us and make Honda stop producing them. I'm looking for one this spring for my kids to ride.

As for Arctic Cat.....they've been making ATVs for what? 12-15 years now? I think that is long enough to decide if they will last or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast