Thread: Not much on Swan lake but swans and ice

Default Not much on Swan lake but swans and ice

IMG_1092.jpg

My boat weighs about a ton, so it generally is breaking though the ice now, will slide over it after ice is thicker. Don't try running a atv on it, you will fall though. Did some running around Jim Creek and the lakes. From the Knik, we saw where a mud boat had tried going up and turned around and went back, not enough weight for them to break the ice. Only saw a handful of ducks on the creek, some open areas, was surprised about how many swans are still around, saw quite a few on the lakes. We had a blast running around on the lakes, we even saw a WOLF. Looked at mud lake but was afraid I couldn't pull the boat back up the hill so we launched at the Knik. Lakes pretty well frozen up, creek will be solid in a few days. Bud
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla

I went out and tried to find a rabbit today. We saw a few, but couldn't get any decent shots at them. I saw a bunch of ducks in wasilla lake this morning. I am hoping to get out for some sea ducks this week. We got shut down due to the wind this weekend.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    IMG_1092.jpg

My boat weighs about a ton, so it generally is breaking though the ice now, will slide over it after ice is thicker. Don't try running a atv on it, you will fall though. Did some running around Jim Creek and the lakes. From the Knik, we saw where a mud boat had tried going up and turned around and went back, not enough weight for them to break the ice. Only saw a handful of ducks on the creek, some open areas, was surprised about how many swans are still around, saw quite a few on the lakes. We had a blast running around on the lakes, we even saw a WOLF. Looked at mud lake but was afraid I couldn't pull the boat back up the hill so we launched at the Knik. Lakes pretty well frozen up, creek will be solid in a few days. Bud

I hunted Lake Erie last year in a duck boat that was breaking 5" of ice on the way to the blind. It took us 3 hours to cut a hole (with chainsaws) in the ice big enough to put the boat in and get it turned the right direction, but after that, it walked right across the ice, busting through every time it got on top. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't in the boat. One of the coldest, most miserable hunts I've ever been on - and by far one of the most memorable. Gotta love getting out when others can't.