View Poll Results: Would you shoot a "calf" ???

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will shoot a calf

59 52.21%
  • Will not shoot a calf

36 31.86%
  • Think this is pointless

22 19.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot a "calf" ?

Default Would you shoot a "calf" ?

After a recent thread on here I was curious how many hunters would shoot a male of any species that was with its mother?

This is a gray area in the regulations and Alaska administrative code.

The legal definition of a "bull moose" is a male moose

The legal definition of a "calf" is moose, caribou, elk, muskox, or bison less than 12 months old

The two definitions kinda overlap making them ambiguous to us hunters. This is where it comes down to your own hunting ethics and if you are willing to deal with the Troopers and or court if it came down to their understanding being different than yours.

There are plenty of general season, registration, and draw hunts that allow the hunter to harvest/kill a male of the species with no antler or horn restrictions. Some of these come right out and say no taking of calf's that are with cows and some do not. Then again they do not say that you can take a calf with a cow either.....

This is not directed at subsistence hunts/hunters and or predator control hunts/hunters.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    After a recent thread on here I was curious how many hunters would shoot a male of any species that was with its mother?This is a gray area in the regulations and Alaska administrative code.The legal definition of a "bull moose" is a male mooseThe legal definition of a "calf" is moose, caribou, elk, muskox, or bison less than 12 months oldThe two definitions kinda overlap making them ambiguous to us hunters. This is where it comes down to your own hunting ethics and if you are willing to deal with the Troopers and or court if it came down to their understanding being different than yours.There are plenty of general season, registration, and draw hunts that allow the hunter to harvest/kill a male of the species with no antler or horn restrictions. Some of these come right out and say no taking of calf's that are with cows and some do not. Then again they do not say that you can take a calf with a cow either.....
    I may have just missed it, but you seem to imply that there is a law against shooting a "calf" when it comes to moose. I would be interested to know where this is stated. I know there are some specific hunts that specify that you can or cannot shoot a calf with a cow or a cow with/without a calf, but if that is not specified in the specific hunt rules, I don't see where there would be ANY legal concern with shooting a male moose calf if "bull" was a legal animal. Personally, I would not go out targeting a calf, but come the end of the trip/season and me with an unused tag, a calf (if legal for that specific hunt) would not be out of the question since I am looking for meat in the freezer. A calf is a lot more than nothing.

Yep on kaligan island last year took the cow and calf. Yes we had registration tags for any moose. Two tags

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You skewed the wording of your poll to suit the outcome you are looking for. You should have asked if you would shoot a legal calf with its mother.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    After a recent thread on here I was curious how many hunters would shoot a male of any species that was with its mother?

This is a gray area in the regulations and Alaska administrative code.

The legal definition of a "bull moose" is a male moose

The legal definition of a "calf" is moose, caribou, elk, muskox, or bison less than 12 months old

The two definitions kinda overlap making them ambiguous to us hunters. This is where it comes down to your own hunting ethics and if you are willing to deal with the Troopers and or court if it came down to their understanding being different than yours.

There are plenty of general season, registration, and draw hunts that allow the hunter to harvest/kill a male of the species with no antler or horn restrictions. Some of these come right out and say no taking of calf's that are with cows and some do not. Then again they do not say that you can take a calf with a cow either.....

This is not directed at subsistence hunts/hunters and or predator control hunts/hunters.
    Talk about a biased description of the poll. I wonder how you voted?

I BE LOOKING FOR MEAT FOR MY FREEZER... You guys kill me Lol

Fish and game specifies no taking of calves when the taking of calves would not meet the goal of the management plan. Given that and a decent understanding of the biology involved I would not have a moral issue with harvesting a calf.

I had some teryaki moose jerky last week from a moose that would fall under your definition of a calf.
    The hunter shot it in the Bethel area in a late season any moose area.
    Tasted great!
    I would not be opposed to it at all if it was legal.
    Saw a couple of forks this year near the house still with momma and they sure looked tasty. Too bad I live on the peninsula.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If legal, then yep, I certainly would. It's not my target of choice, but given that there are calf-specific hunts in the interior, I don't see any ethical qualms with taking a calf where legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If legal, then yep, I certainly would. It's not my target of choice, but given that there are calf-specific hunts in the interior, I don't see any ethical qualms with taking a calf where legal.
    Especially if (hopefully this is true) there is a ecological benefit to the 'herd' by doing so...

There are several draws I will be putting in for in the mat-su that are antlerless moose hunts that also specify- this is a calf hunt-. I wouldn't hesitate as that's some fine eating

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by hunt&fishak View Post
    there are several draws i will be putting in for that are antlerless moose hunts and specify that also specify- this is a calf hunt-. I wouldn't hesitate as that's some fine eating

i be looking for meat for my freezer...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    There are several draws I will be putting in for in the mat-su that are antlerless moose hunts that also specify- this is a calf hunt-. I wouldn't hesitate as that's some fine eating
    So the only reason you put in for said tags, so you can shoot a calf???

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    So a 4 browtine bull would get passed up so one could shoot a calf. On a any bull hunt

if it is a legal animal, no worries. success for me is a full freezer, not what's nailed to the barn.
    as long as IM law mandates maximum harvest and we have on-going predator control there ARE going to be calf hunts in some areas.
    note however, that a calf does not qualify as a legal animal in a spike-fork hunt.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Ummm.... No. Putting in for them to broaden the opportunities, which is what they are there for.....

But I'll say it again, I wouldn't hesitate if I saw a calf. Reasons - the calf may not breed for 2 more years... Take the calf leave the mature cow to continue breeding. What would you do?

Release Lake Trout

The larger concern for me would be how mamma moose would react when you shoot her calf.

Yep, I'd have no problem shooting a legal calf. I wouldn't pass up a legal adult moose in hopes of finding a calf instead, but would take one if that was all that was around on the last day of my hunt. Better the calf feed my family than a wolf pack

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    So a 4 browtine bull would get passed up so one could shoot a calf. On a any bull hunt
    Nope I'd dirt roll that bull. The antlermoose tags will be open during the regular bull season aug.25- sep.25, so basically, If i hunted that whole month without seeing a legal bull, I still have the opportunity to fill my freezer by taking an anterless moose

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Of course not. As I mentioned, "it's not my target of choice".

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast