Thread: Skidoo Alpine vs. Super Wide

Default Skidoo Alpine vs. Super Wide

I've noticed a few Alpines on Craigslist and am wondering if anyone has any experience on both an Alpine and the SWT. How does the Alpine compare the the SWT? I'm mostly interested towing ability. That SWT is a towing beast but the Alpine looks like it could be a tractor as well.

Go to DOOtalk.com and ask Labrador boy, he is a guru for Skidoo work sleds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    I've noticed a few Alpines on Craigslist and am wondering if anyone has any experience on both an Alpine and the SWT. How does the Alpine compare the the SWT? I'm mostly interested towing ability. That SWT is a towing beast but the Alpine looks like it could be a tractor as well.
    I know you asked for advice from those having experience with both...I can only speak to one. So, for what it's worth: The Alpine and Alpine II, are indeed towing machines. You used an appropriate term, "tractor"; these things were born and bred to pull ( I LOVE that 2F 1R transmission). They're great for dragging groomers, hauling freight, skidding logs, etc. Originally, (not sure if still available) they offered a whole host of accessories for the Alpine II, including a front wheel to replace the ski for summer use, like dragging stuff around in the mud in the back 40. With the dual tracks and bogie wheel carriage they're a pretty bomber machine. One thing they don't do very well is sidehill. You can hang a whole track into thin air off the edge of a trail, provided you keep the ski on the trail. But let that ski get off the edge, and that machine wants to do nothing but point downhill. (I'm not a really heavy guy though, and someone capable of applying a little more mass to the equation, might coax better sidehill performance out of it than I was ever able to). Once you get to the bottom though, it will climb straight back up, like a Willies Jeep! They're not a great bottomless powder machine either. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad in the powder by any means, but the SWT will undoubtedly outperform in the floatation department, by a great margin I'm sure. Sounds like you already have some experience with the SWT... I have a buddy who has spent a fair bit of time with them in the Bush, and he reports it's almost impossible to get them stuck. Almost.

If we were in Wisconsin or Minesota with lots of flat trail, I'd take the Alpine, hands down. Here in Alaska, I think it depends on what you want to do with it, in what kind of terrain.

I hope that was helpful.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Alpines are dinosaurs. Big, heavy, hard to find parts for, and uncomfortable to ride. SWTs are easier to find parts for but otherwise share the listed qualities. :-) If you like twisting wrenches on antiques you might like an Alpine. If you want to get from point A to point B with reliability and relative comfort? Buy something from this century.

I've owned/operated both. My alpine was an older single ski model and i've had the 97 and 03 SWT's back when they came with the reliable old rotax 503. They have alot more power now.. The SWT's were far better as far a performance/handling goes. Towing ability they were about equal (could haul over a cord of wood easily with the right sled) but the improved handling of the SWT's puts them ahead. I know it was mentioned before but you will have a MUCH easier time finding parts for the SWT's as well. They really are an amazing sled with the right driver... been several places I should not have been able to go with one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Alpines are dinosaurs. Big, heavy, hard to find parts for, and uncomfortable to ride. SWTs are easier to find parts for but otherwise share the listed qualities. :-) If you like twisting wrenches on antiques you might like an Alpine. If you want to get from point A to point B with reliability and relative comfort? Buy something from this century.
    I 2nd that!!Couldn,t have put it better myself, Gas hog, won,t turn,Heat up warm weather,Oh yes i have owned both,They may have been king in there day..But you couldn,t give me one for free>> Just got tired working on them things..Always something..SWT hands down for me.