Thread: Huge bull moose nearly kills a hunter!

Default Huge bull moose nearly kills a hunter!

(Moderators, I'm not sure what sub-forum this video is appropriate for, but please place it where you see
    fit. Thanks in advance!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xct0W...&feature=share

You are gonna love this video!...Hunting with your barking dog...and a ***HUGE Bull Moose*** comes charging and nearly kills ya! I'm surprised the camera man didn't drop his camera and the hiker/hunter didn't put a 30/06 shot to the big ole moose!....As for me I'd probably panic and pee myself! That is a little too close for comfort!!!

Brave dog.

As many times as I've been charged by moose, I've only had one go all the way thru with attacking, and that a cow with a calf, they are pretty much bluffers whrn it comes to humans.....That would be pretty cool to have that happen.

Release Lake Trout

Watched it and must have missed the part where the moose nearly kills a hunter. I saw a couple of Swedish Hikers have a moose chase a dog, but that was about it.

this one is much closer to "nearly kills" and actually has hunters in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg

I hate to break it to ya but that was a small bull and who takes a dog with them into the field? Nice clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I hate to break it to ya but that was a small bull and who takes a dog with them into the field? Nice clip.
    yea i meant to say that as well.....not even legal where antler restrictions apply.....lotta fat on him though.....

Release Lake Trout

Huge bull moose? Link must be broken.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    As many times as I've been charged by moose, I've only had one go all the way thru with attacking, and that a cow with a calf, they are pretty much bluffers whrn it comes to humans.....That would be pretty cool to have that happen.
    As many times as you've been charged by a moose? How many times could that possibly be? Were these moose accompanied by 3 legged bears?

"Young Bull Moose Chases Poorly Trained Dog and then Skids to a Stop and Flees upon seeing People"
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    As many times as you've been charged by a moose? How many times could that possibly be? Were these moose accompanied by 3 legged bears?
    lol, seen a couple three legged bears, but never got charged by one...

been charged by moose plenty of times...got stomped 2 winters back by an angry cow with a calf while i was shoveling sidewalks/ plowing snow for 18 hours straight and didnt notice them till it was too late as i walked thru a side yard in the dark....workmans comp claim filed and couldnt do **** for 2 weeks...still got a 5" long scar from a hoof on my hip that required 42 stitches....no broken bones luckily....

last spring i was hiking around bird ridge and surprised a bull in his bed on top of a skinny ridge.....he charged unexpectedly and forced me down a pretty rugged cliff....i think maybe he had been harassed by wolves recently....

got a few more if you want to hear.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    "Young Bull Moose Chases Poorly Trained Dog and then Skids to a Stop and Flees upon seeing People"
    well said Hippie

Release Lake Trout

I don't know about poorly trained? The dog is a Norwegian Elkhound (meaning moose dog). I would guess they are in Norway or Sweeden, were they can use dogs for Moose hunting. The dogs are to keep the moose at bay or circle it back to the hunters... looks like she did really good?

I have been charged by moose but this was not a people charge, only a dog charge. They do not like dogs cause they are wolves in their own eyes. Looks like once he knows people are there, the moose go's off in another direction. I have video's of moose charging me, only because I called them in during the rut, they just thought I was another moose, not another human. When you call in a bull in rut, and leave your weapon leaning on a tree, then you know what helpless is...Been there and done that. Won't happen again but this flick does not show a hunter in danger, only a hunter in the field. Sorry Bud, it still is a cool flick though!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    well said Hippie
    I am confused. You said you been charged by several moose but yet you agree with AlaskaHippie that young moose stop and flees upon seeing people? Which is it?????????? Do they chase you or do they run?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    who takes a dog with them into the field? Nice clip.
    I do when my entire family goes or just my wife and I got, if its just the guys she stays at home.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    I am confused. You said you been charged by several moose but yet you agree with AlaskaHippie that young moose stop and flees upon seeing people? Which is it?????????? Do they chase you or do they run?
    Spooner, most of the moose ive been charged by were in here in town, and they broke off the charge when they would get within 10-15 feet and either hold their ground or retreat......they are used to people, where as that bull in the clip clearly was not...

IME, if you hold your ground, they usually stop, unless they feel so threatened that they attack (only happened once so i dont know exactly and i was so ****in tired from workin i dont exactly remember every detail) but if you run, you can bet their gonna run right over you.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Transplant View Post
    I don't know about poorly trained? The dog is a Norwegian Elkhound (meaning moose dog). I would guess they are in Norway or Sweeden, were they can use dogs for Moose hunting. The dogs are to keep the moose at bay or circle it back to the hunters... looks like she did really good?
    What he said...

RW

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Watched it and must have missed the part where the moose nearly kills a hunter. I saw a couple of Swedish Hikers have a moose chase a dog, but that was about it.

this one is much closer to "nearly kills" and actually has hunters in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg
    That was awesome!!I bet that guy had a little somethin in his shorts after that.Thanks for shareing

Most likely Norway. Hunters there are required to hunt elk(moose) with a Norwegian Elkhound. I have a friend that sends me pics of his hunts using the same dogs.