Thread: Bow HUnting class

Default Bow HUnting class

Does anyone know if you need the Bow class before you can apply for bow only mooose permits

Yes you do. You'll need to put in your card number when you apply.

Quote Originally Posted by weseod View Post
    Does anyone know if you need the Bow class before you can apply for bow only mooose permits
    Read the very last page (pg. 20) of the current permit hunt supplement (available online here http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li..._draw_supp.pdf). It states:"Certified Bowhunters Only: You must have your ADF&G-approved bow hunting education course (IBEP or equivalent) certification prior to applying for the drawing hunt."

You also need the certification to hunt in a firearms restricted area.

So you have to take a bow class AND get your certification? I thought you just had to get certified to hunt? This is a question, not stating any thing. Im asking because im just starting to get into bows and was thinking about hunting this up coming season with it.

You have to take the class to get certified. You can do the class online (or you could) but then you still have to demonstrate proficiency on the 3d target course. It is just easier to take the class and the shooting test at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    So you have to take a bow class AND get your certification? I thought you just had to get certified to hunt? This is a question, not stating any thing. Im asking because im just starting to get into bows and was thinking about hunting this up coming season with it.
    The only way to get "certified" is to take the class AND pass the proficiency test. This only applies to archery only (weapons restricted) hunts though. You are free to use a bow in a non-weapons restricted (i.e. rifle season for example) without any certification, although it would be recommended just because of the good information provided in the class. Similar to the situation with hunter education classes. Not required in all cases, but recommended anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The only way to get "certified" is to take the class AND pass the proficiency test. This only applies to archery only (weapons restricted) hunts though. You are free to use a bow in a non-weapons restricted (i.e. rifle season for example) without any certification, although it would be recommended just because of the good information provided in the class. Similar to the situation with hunter education classes. Not required in all cases, but recommended anyways.
    Alright, thats what I was wanting to know I still plan on taking the class and taking the proficiency because a buddy of mine is planning a trip up to the haul road for bowhunting caribou this upcoming fall and the area he is going is suppose to be bow only.

Im trying to do my homework now and practice as much as I can to try to be ready by then.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Alright, thats what I was wanting to know I still plan on taking the class and taking the proficiency because a buddy of mine is planning a trip up to the haul road for bowhunting caribou this upcoming fall and the area he is going is suppose to be bow only.

Im trying to do my homework now and practice as much as I can to try to be ready by then.
    Your question is a bit different than the OP's. The OP's question applied to having the certification before applying for archery restricted hunts... so yes, the OP needs the archery certification to apply for the draw permit.

Allalaskan: Your question applies to having an archery certification in order to hunt. If your buddy is planning on hunting the haul road, he'll need the certification (and need to carry his certification with him. The same applies to you.

Finally, you (Allalaskan) and your friend have more time to complete this task as you say your hunt is for this fall; whereas, the time for the OP to apply for draws tags for the upcoming season has passed.