Thread: Trimming and deburring

Default Trimming and deburring

I bought a RCBS case prep station and I am having trouble with cleaning up my brass after I trim it. After trimming there is a ridge both inside and outside of the case rim and the bits that came with the prep station are very slow to clean up the brass. The outside deburrer is the worse and it even has an adjustment that doesn't seem to change anything. Is there anything that would work better with the prep station or is it just slow?

I've been using this one (LINK)for 30+ years--it just will not wear out!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Your link will not open so not sure if we are recommending the same tool.

Sometimes to much is not enough and you need to step back and do it by hand
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/143...-to-45-caliber

Just buy this or a similar tool and your issues will be solved. Been using the same one for about 40 years.
    Tennessee

Sorry for the problem. Try it again.

LINK
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I modified some standard RCBS deburring tools to work on the RCBS case prep station, this eliminated the poor results I was getting from the cutters supplied with the station. Much like you, the cutters supplied would barely cut the burr off the case. With the standard cutters modified to fit, 3 rotations and the case is done.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

They also work well for deburring copper tubing prior to flaring for propane at the cabin!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I modified some standard RCBS deburring tools to work on the RCBS case prep station, this eliminated the poor results I was getting from the cutters supplied with the station. Much like you, the cutters supplied would barely cut the burr off the case. With the standard cutters modified to fit, 3 rotations and the case is done.
    which ones did you modify. the hand tools look like they would work better than what I have, but I was hoping for something that would work with my prep station since I already have it. I saw that lyman and hornady have ones for theit case prep station that look similar to the hand tools but not sure if they work with the rcbs

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    That looks slick . . . and not a bad price.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've never understood the case prep centers. The only operations I ever want to do under power are trimming and neck turning. The Wilson trimmer with an adapter for using an electric screwdriver works great, and is probably the most accurate method of trimming. Everything else is done easily with handtools, chamfering, uniforming primer pockets, deburring flash holes. The wilson tool mentioned earlier takes one or two twists from each side to effectively chamfer a case mouth, doing it under power will just screw things up in my opinion.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."