Thread: Looking for a new moose hunting area?

Default Looking for a new moose hunting area?

I am curious did anyone go out after hunting season and check out new hunting areas, looking for scrapes, moose trails, and hunting camps? If not, why not? It the best time to learn about new areas.

But are the places you find moose AFTER the season................the same places you can find them DURING the season? Seems like Moose know when season ends and are easier to find.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

the one time i got to scout the area where i tagged my bull this year was pretty successful...I saw several pairs of cows/calves, found a shed antler, and saw loads of sign, but beside that, the area is pretty awesome country....its open old growth forest, with mostly tall grass and quite a bit of good forage, lots or willow patches higher up ( i scouted between 800' and 2300' ele.) with nice big patches of open alpine for glassing and pitching camp, in the small valleys between each hill were small springs creating some marshy areas perfect for moose habitat, and the open marshes i crossed were x-crossed with moose trails new and old....saw lots of bear sign though which could be bad next year IF i decide to hunt it again...lots of initial "passing thru" atv traffic out on the trail but it seems not many people get off and "hunt" between the highway and 15 miles up the trail...i didnt even find any beer cans, old camps, trash, or any noticable human sign away except within maybe 100 yards of the trail at most...and that was a very old dilapidated bear stand and remnants of a rusted away barrell....was really a beautiful area to walk thru...we spent a full day out there

Release Lake Trout

We're always scouting new country....regardless of our success in the areas we currently hunt.
    BK