Thread: arrow weight

Default arrow weight

i was wondering how heavy an arrow you guys shoot i am looking at some new carbon express pile drivers and am just wondering what you guys use weight wise, i have been shooting gt expedition hunters with g5 montecs 430gr. total weight and was not real happy with my penetration on the little moose i shot, they passed through a black bear fine but im looking at going up to about 500gr. with the pile drivers.

I have shot both 400 grain carbons and 500 grain + aluminum 2315's. There are so many variables in penetration (hitting bone etc) that it's difficult to pick one over the other. I will say this, heavier arrows are significantly quieter and easier to tune.

I have now struck middle ground with going with Easton Axis arrows. Small diameter and medium weight. The small diameter helps with wind drift and penetration.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I shoot 450grain Easton FMJ @ 60lbs draw weight. Never have an issue with penetration. I think your fine with your current setup, if it shoots good i'd stick with it.

My Carbon Express are 515 grains.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

yea im shooting 70lb 29in draw and getting good speed out of that set up but need some new arrows any way and figure i would rather go with a little heavyer arrow i was looking at the blue streak selects but that would be even lighter than my current set up so im thinking piledriver 350's with 125 montec cs's.

I am a big fan of heavier arrows, my recurve i shoot 51 lbs and a 575 grain arrow, my compound 58 lbs 500 grains approx,
    My recurve is real quiet, and get good penetration about the same as my compound shooting into a foam block. My recurve are carbon and compound is aluminum arrows. The bottomline is what shoots best

thanks wiso i think i am going to go with the heavy arrow i think i should be between 5-515 with those piledriver hunters, i hope they hold up better than the gt's.

I shoot Beman small DIA. arrows and have had no problems but like some one said earlier stick with whats working, but as i say that do take the time to play with other brands and designs. Shoot straight and have fun

Shot my first Alaskan big game animal this year with my bow. Small bull moose at 19 yards. Did not get a pass through, but took out both lungs very efficiently. Broke ribs going in and out. Easton Axis FMJ 28", 100 grain brass insert, 100 grain Shuttle T-lock broadheads shot at 68lbs. Without accounting for fletchings, glue and such, they're at ~515 grains.

Great thread. I currently have Easton FMJs 340 spine 28.5" long with 100gr BHs. Looking at going with the FMJ Dangerous Game Arrow in a 250 Spine and seeking a 125 - 200gr 2 blade BH. I want a heavy accurate arrow and plan to experiment between the two. I shoot a 70lb Z28.

There is another issue here. When I shoot my 515 grain arrows compared to a 300 grain arrows my bow is a lot quieter and "likes" it better. The lighter arrow produces more bow shock. Heavier, produces a more rainbow trajectory. But it really doesn't matter on a 14" kill zone on a moose. Knowing ethically to what yardage I can shoot accurately is more important.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, maybe you're just beating into submission with that heavier arrow . Happy new year man and holler when you come up this way again. Hoping I can come down this fall, got leave set aside for what we talked about, as long as sheep doesnt get in the way.

As to a heavier arrow...honestly is 70 grains going to give you pass through vs poor penetration? I doubt it, but it COULD help, maybe, slightly.....

Like was said there is so many variables in penetration understanding what and how is more important than how many grains, how fast, KE and MOm figures..etc. You may take some time and read the ashby studies. I have a copy of the orignal natal study somewhere, dont ask where LOL. the newer stuff goes more into higher FOC more than over all arrow weight...add the two together and you've really got something.

Try this sometime. Its not a case for heavier arrows, or heads, as much as a higher foc than what most people talk about. We call this the wrecking ball. Take a steel blunt (or 357 case for you woodie guys grind the extractor rim off if you are using cases), slide a HTM large rubber blunt over it and take it out for grouse and bunnies.

If you're a bunny guy, the htm's are great medicine. I opt for headshots and they've treated me well over the years...you'll noticed a substantial difference in the two heads, wrecking balls, vs regular htm blunts. The only difference added was the blunt on the tip end of the shaft, not over all length of arrow weight.

When it comes to grouse with a bow, finding the right tool on the end of the shaft seems to be the hardest game to play. I wont touch them with a stardard rubber blunt of any kind. I've shot them with blunts, field points, judo's, scorpios on a mulittude of combinations, game nabbers (the cut field point looking doodads), broadheads, hex blunts, and of course the 'wrecking ball".

What you'll immediatly notice is its effectiveness. You've done little to change your set up but add 100 grains or so up front over all. your KE/MOM/overall weight figures change slightly, its where the weight that is placed that should grab your attention....along with the difference in its effectiveness...try it you'll understand!

Where the weight is placed, over all weight, diameter, stiffness, blade angles, BH design, ARROW FLIGHT, and a host of other factors need to be thought about. Bears caribou sheep etc are not hard to penetrate animals. So just adding a little here a little there imho isnt likely going to give you the answer you're hoping for.

Personally, I think there is too heavy of an arrow. Each set up is going to be different (bow weight, draw length being the two big factors) I like a heaviER arrow than most, but not as heavy as most trad guys like.

We get stuck on one little thing, in the case of penetration arrow weight...or speed (ke) vs mom, that we fail to look at the total package.

YOu can find ashbys stuff on the alaska bowhunting supply web page.

497grain FMJ......i like to stay above 425grains for everything i hunt. elk, mulies, hogs.....caribou this year