Thread: march bows

Default march bows

if anyone is interested, tuesday, a buddy and i went to the kenai just above skilak, and it is still frozen over, so later that day and wed, we hiked from lower skilak boat launch to the river, and found open water we didnt catch anything but a few spawned out silvers, but some fellas in a boat said they picked up a few bows on some conehead streamers im thinking about going back next week i also heard that there may be some fish in quartz creek which was open about halfway down to kenai lake, sure looks cold and snowy, but fun, especially with the prospect of catching a fish or two any thoughts? tips? thanks

Fish low and slow might try a alvin or simular smolt type fly. A freind of mine fly fished at least 2 days a month every month as a personal goal. January was the only month he got skunked.

do you mean to fish smolt at quartz or the kenai, or both?

Quartz creek, but ya might give them a try on the Kenai. Frankly I dont fish the Kenai much. There's a spring bow float I do ocasionally but thats about it. Personally I like little streams.

i waaay prefer little streams as well i hope to find some good ones this summer

There are tons of neat little streams around. Ya just got to be willing to look for them and in some cases do a little walking.

it's certainly not too early to fish... i've got pictures of myself and buddies holding up rainbows on March 3rd while floating the upper river in my drift boat a couple years ago. i've never had stellar fishing this time of year, but after a long winter, any open water with the opportunity of putting a bend in your rod is worth it in my opinion. if anyone else gets a chance to get out - please post your results because i'm very interested in what you find.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Kenai

Before anyone reads the last post and makes plans to float the upper which usually is very floatable this time of year, please be advised that the upper river is frozen in several spots right now. Be sure to call ahead if it gets warm this week to check the status of the river, Just a heads up.

yea sorry - i shoulda been more clear about that. i've floated it in march many times in the past, but obviously, it's too early this year due to the weather. weather looks good for this weekend, so maybe we'll get a chance to float before it closes on april 15th? maybe.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

well its still chilly so if you are up for the challenge, there are a few bows being picked up here and there, however, the only one i caught this march was in cooper landing just above the bridge (im sure everyone knows the spot) gorgeous 20inch fish, but it was a lot of work to get him right beside the highway good luck stay warm