Thread: Transducers and River boats

Default Transducers and River boats

I have a 21' Hewescraft Riverrunner and I run the interior rivers as well as Price William Sound a couple times each year. I had a Humminbird 565 and I had problems keeping the bottom in the rivers as well as the sound, I chalked it up to having a jet and a transom mount transducer but Im not 100% sure that was really it.

For you guys running similar combinations, what are you running for a transducer and how much do you loose the bottom? Im looking at the Garmin 541s and I havent decided on a thru hull transducer (if it will work on an aluminum river boat without jacking up the welded bottom) or going back to a transom mount. Im looking for the pros and cons to both. Thanks for any help.

Ron

I am running the 541s but I bought the Almar P66 transducer for it and it is a big improvement over the stock trans. It works good up to 500-600 ' , but I think for deeper than that you would need a 1kw sounder. But it works at that depth at 30mph.

I epoxied my broken garmin transducer to the .250 floor just before the motor & it works fine in the big sue, tested to 50mph & 30ft no problems!!!! check vexilar.com for more info. you don't need one of their transducers for things to work. Just make sure to test the location before making it permanent!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I epoxied my broken garmin transducer to the .250 floor just before the motor & it works fine in the big sue, tested to 50mph & 30ft no problems!!!! check vexilar.com for more info. you don't need one of their transducers for things to work. Just make sure to test the location before making it permanent!
    I never even thought about doing something like this, I guess I figured that it wouldnt work due to the aluminum reflection. Have you ever tried it in deeper water?

I checked out the alumaducer from www.vexilar.com and that looked pretty cool. Im wondering how it will do out in the sound though. Installation at 60 degrees may be a chore too.

In deeper water a different transducer might make a difference. But the more boats I own over the course of my life the more I am convinced it is the location of the transducer that determines how well it works.

Have to find the sweet spot and sometimes it can be a lot of trail and error.

Music Man, How did you test your's before epoxing it in place?
    Tennessee

I am using a Garmin 400c with the Garmin dual frequency transducer mounted in the boat, pinging through 1/8 aluminum, this was on Music mans recomendation and help, and it has worked as well as the same unit mounted on the transom......actually better because I am no loner wacking in on stuff. I have used it on many of the rivers in the interior, including the Tanana and will get readings down to a foot. I have used the same boat with the same setup in Homer and have had it read down to 400 feet, maybe even 600 feet as I think the trench is that deep when you cross is. I dont remember those exact numbers as I am not very interested in fishing at that depth.

I was skeptical intially, so the first time I went out I had a spare unit mounted on the transom and swapped back and forth several times, the reading were always the same, so I trust its accuracy, I do lose the bottom under certain conditions, one of them is speed. On my boat that is a round 30 mph, there are some other condtions that will interfer with the signal. I did not have many options on locations. If you can experiment first that would be ideal, but just like a transom mount you want make sure the water in fron t of the unit is undisturbed as possible (clean water flow), no lifting strakes, etc.

It really is the only choice for me becasue when in Homer I will let the boat go dry and that plays havoc on the tranducer. On the rivers it was always gettting knocked about by debris and hidden gravelbars........Its cool to use on the rivers, but dont expect it to prevent groundings as they happen way to quick....

Garmin does make their own "In hull" Transducer https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=680 And alumducer would be a good choice also.......but the bottom line is most any will work if you get in the right spot and use the correct epxoy.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks 'Gramps' that saves me a lot of typing! To test a location I used a 4" PVC coupler cut down to about 3" high and used silicone(not to much, just enough to hold water) to attach it to a test location in the bottom of the boat. After the silicone sets up put your transducer in and add enough water(some people use mineral oil) to cover the bottom of the transducer(simulate it being in the water) and hold it in position with a zip lock baggie of sand over the top. Take it for a test drive and try every combination you can to make it fail. If it fails try another location! Anything but clean water will make it fail, dents, large scrapes, anything that would cause bubbles in the water going past the spot you pick will result in a bad location.
    I is nice to not have to worry about all the logs and sticks kicking up or ripping off your transducer!
    Good luck

MM,You sure helped me out, when it came time to try it out........so typing was the ez part, cept I see lots of typos........I was just going to reread and correct when the "Dinner bell" went off, so everyone will have to excuse the mistakes..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    MM,You sure helped me out, when it came time to try it out........so typing was the ez part, cept I see lots of typos........I was just going to reread and correct when the "Dinner bell" went off, so everyone will have to excuse the mistakes..........
    I think we are both to old to worry about some typing mistakes!

I run a 160c Garmin depth/fish finder in both the rivers and ocean. i have pinged 500' at 30mph and 8" at 30 mph. the only problem i have is it will continually mark a "fish" at 1' while ideling. the transducer is mounted to the braket out side the boat. I have the tension on the mounting bracket loose enough that if i hit bottom the transducer will pivot 90 degrees and not snap off.

Attachment 54719
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Its my understanding the ideling and reverse wont work with a transom mount due to the dirty water coming across the transducer. Thats what garmin told me anyways...

That would make sense. it does mark fish the rest of the way through the depths
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's