Thread: Raspberry Island Elk hunting

Default Raspberry Island Elk hunting

What's this hunt like for those who have done this in the past? I'm thinking about trying for elk next year and might apply for the two bull tags and the cow tag. Private land an issue? And are the elk scattered across the island?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What's this hunt like for those who have done this in the past? I'm thinking about trying for elk next year and might apply for the two bull tags and the cow tag. Private land an issue? And are the elk scattered across the island?
    I've been there once, this can be a difficult hunt. Most folks hunt onion bay. From what I saw if you find an elk you'll soon see all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Check out raspberry island lodge them out. We stayed there for 12 days last year. Get into shape it no easy hunt by no means.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Check out raspberry island lodge them out. We stayed there for 12 days last year. Get into shape it no easy hunt by no means. Its like 250 for private land permit no big deal.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I just got back two weeks ago from a 5 day hunt, I stayed at Kodiak Raspberry Island Remote Lodge, which I would highly recommend to anyone who is in shape. Each day they would drop us off with their cat. boat (at sea level, of course) and we would hike up to 1500-2000 feet as quick as we could and then the hunting would begin, glassing and stalking from above. Then we'd get back to the beach by 5:30pm and they'd pick us up.
    I actually had a SW Afognak cow tag, but Afognak is just a quick drop off, 3/4 mile across the straight from Raspberry. I will focus on Raspberry in the future (de702, de704) - Raspberry island has a lot less spruce on it than Afognak, an so it's a lot easier to see/glass.
    But to answer your question, Raspberry is 17-18 miles long and all the elk (approx 100) are in one herd and the herd could be anywhere on the island. But since there are other hunters at the lodge, including hunters who have been there 1-5 days prior to your arrival, it's fairly likely they will be able to tell you where on the island the herd is. It's more like 5 different one-day hunts than one 5-day hunt.
    The accomodations where I stayed were first class - food, cabins, hot tub, kegs of beer, friendly hosts, beautiful boat. Get in shape if you are fortunate enough to draw a tag.
    I never did get my cow elk, but I did get a very nice 8 point deer and my partner shot his 3 deer limit.

Default Herd

The herd does stay pretty much together although Fish and Game goes over 2 weeks prior to the season and breaks them up using a helo.
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Been there, done that, lost 7lbs in 7 days.

Being in shape is a must. Help is good too. A lot of bears.

Stayed a week camped out (got dropped off by boat). "Lucked out" and got mine the 2nd day there. Got charged by a bear, had Martins eat some of my meat, and my knees and ankles cursed me for over a month. Nothing like a whole hind quarter and a bag of meat on your back for miles sidehilling down and then straight up only to sidehill down some more...

Best wild game I've ever eaten though...

Also cramp ons is a must have. Item.

Look for kodiakrain's report on that hunt from last year. I thought he captured it well in both words and pictures.

Responding to your question about private land, by my experience and research, it is really not an issue.

That being said, it is a pretty tough hunt for Bear Trouble issues and, as others have mentioned, you will definitely want to be ready and willing to walk hard, pack hard, and may appreciate "meat packing partners," as much as imaginable.

PM me if you ever get a permit drawn, would be glad to help you out, but should add, before using your applications all there,
    "Raspberry is no cake walk, and
    Really Be Ready For Bear Action." No joke
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !