Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Stuck in K-town

  1. #1
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default Stuck in K-town

    I guess it could be worse. I could be weathered in a tent with a 12 y.o. like I did on Kodiak in '08. This time I'm weathered in at the Landing in Ketchikan. My daughter and I watched the ferry to P.O.W. fail to dock and then leave due to high winds. I hustled over to the ferry office to find the trip was cancelled and the boat was on its way back to Hollis.

    Just got off the phone with kingfisherktn and if this goes on for another day I'm going to buy him dinner so I can have some company other than my daughter

    So, where are you at akhunter83? I know you are here somewhere since we were supposed to be on the same boat

    Can't wait to get to Gooch's place and hunt some deer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I guess it could be worse. I could be weathered in a tent with a 12 y.o. like I did on Kodiak in '08. This time I'm weathered in at the Landing in Ketchikan. My daughter and I watched the ferry to P.O.W. fail to dock and then leave due to high winds. I hustled over to the ferry office to find the trip was cancelled and the boat was on its way back to Hollis.

    Just got off the phone with kingfisherktn and if this goes on for another day I'm going to buy him dinner so I can have some company other than my daughter

    So, where are you at akhunter83? I know you are here somewhere since we were supposed to be on the same boat

    Can't wait to get to Gooch's place and hunt some deer.
    Whad'ya mean, stuck? I guess I've been stuck in K-town now 39 years.

    I think you flat landers can't handle our damp weather.

  3. #3
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Hey, we went out in it Walked down to Madison's and checked out their remodel (they are a True Value Hardware like I am), wandered over to another couple stores, then over to the mall and picked up some stuff at Safeway. Good thing since we hadn't tested Kaitlyn's new raingear. Good thing it works. Stuck is all relative....if I'm not hunting I'm stuck I actually love this place and next year I'm taking the ferry down with my truck and spend most of the month. Know anyone that wouldn't rent me a house on P.O.W. for November next year ??
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    We did puss out and called for the hotel shuttle to get us back from Safeway.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Hey, we went out in it Walked down to Madison's and checked out their remodel (they are a True Value Hardware like I am), wandered over to another couple stores, then over to the mall and picked up some stuff at Safeway. Good thing since we hadn't tested Kaitlyn's new raingear. Good thing it works. Stuck is all relative....if I'm not hunting I'm stuck I actually love this place and next year I'm taking the ferry down with my truck and spend most of the month. Know anyone that wouldn't rent me a house on P.O.W. for November next year ??
    If you ever get there that would be a good question to pose to Gooch.

  6. #6
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    We did puss out and called for the hotel shuttle to get us back from Safeway.
    A real K-towner doesn't need raingear or shuttles.

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    A real K-towner doesn't need raingear or shuttles.
    Yeah, you all drive your cars and RUN into the stores. You could have transported that mall to anywhere else in the U.S...all them teenage boys with their pants falling off and teenage girls in tight pants..all texting as fast as they can. I think that is my problem..I'm stuck in the city and I can't get out (I really do love this place, but I'd rather be shooting deer)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    BTW..why didn't I post this in General ?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  9. #9
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    you think it was windy today you should have been here yesterday

  10. #10
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I flew in yesterday but after it settled down. The guy next to me was talking on his cell with his wife and said the door to his freezer on the porch blew off.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  11. #11
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    WooHoo...skies are breaking up, seas are calm. POW here we come
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  12. #12
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    WooHoo...skies are breaking up, seas are calm. POW here we come

    Hopefully Gooch won't forget you.

    Good luck Doug. See you in a few days.

  13. #13
    Member akhunter83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I am staying at the super 8. It looks like the ferry will run today.

  14. #14
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    the planes are even flying ..... just heard one go over the house headed for Craig.

  15. #15
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    WooHoo...skies are breaking up, seas are calm.
    actually that is just a temporary condition .... it's been pounding rain and the wind is picking up over here.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My daughter and I watched the ferry to P.O.W. fail to dock and then leave due to high winds. I hustled over to the ferry office to find the trip was cancelled and the boat was on its way back to Hollis.
    That would suck to get to K-town from Hollis and have to turn around without docking!

  17. #17
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    actually that is just a temporary condition .... it's been pounding rain and the wind is picking up over here.
    Now aren't you the bearer of hope.

  18. #18

    Default

    My buddy got stuck in Ktown too. He stayed at the Hostel last night, if any of you guys did too.

    Sounds like it'll be a full ferry coming over.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •