Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone shot the ruger scout rifle.

Default Has anyone shot the ruger scout rifle.

Was looking for a youth rifle for my 10 year old. One dealer handed me a ruger scout rifle and said it will grow with him. The removeable spacers, being a 308, being able to get 5 round mags, multiple sighting posibilities. This was one rifle I never thought of let alone as a youth rifle. It fit my 5' 10 year old well as well as my 6' 14 year old. Price was a bit more than I was looking at but do not need to buy a youth rifle then upgrade in 4 or 5 years either. Was worried about the 16' barrel but my oldest shoots a 30/30 so not a worry really. Really opened my eyes as I am kind of traditional when to comes to hunting rifles.
    The idea of this as a family rifle makes a lot of sense to me. My youngest was able to handle the rifle better than the traditional youth rifles and his mom can fit it as well. I would pack it around where I leave my main rifle home(wieght and size). The oldest will be able to use it even though he is enamored with his grandpas 30/30.
    I am leaning towards this rifle but also would like feedback. Thanks.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

There are probably as many opinions as people. Neither a Ruger nor a 308 would be my choice for a youth rifle. The rugers still have one of the clunkiest triggers, even though they tout the L16 as "improved" For about the same money you could get a Savage with about the best trigger, the Accutrigger. Even though I started on 270s and 30-06, I would consider a 308 a bit harsh of recoil for a 10 year old. My personal favorite medium sized caliber is the often overlooked 6.5x55 or modern equivalent the 260 Remington. I recently picked up a sporterized Mauser off Gunbrokers for $200 and it already had the bolt turned down and a Timney trigger. Another $100 got me a good composite stock and a little trading netted me a decent scope. It's a tack driver with excellent ballistics and much lighter recoil than most anything else that hits as hard. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowbilly3 View Post
    There are probably as many opinions as people. Neither a Ruger nor a 308 would be my choice for a youth rifle. The rugers still have one of the clunkiest triggers, even though they tout the L16 as "improved" For about the same money you could get a Savage with about the best trigger, the Accutrigger. Even though I started on 270s and 30-06, I would consider a 308 a bit harsh of recoil for a 10 year old. My personal favorite medium sized caliber is the often overlooked 6.5x55 or modern equivalent the 260 Remington. I recently picked up a sporterized Mauser off Gunbrokers for $200 and it already had the bolt turned down and a Timney trigger. Another $100 got me a good composite stock and a little trading netted me a decent scope. It's a tack driver with excellent ballistics and much lighter recoil than most anything else that hits as hard. Just my 2 cents.
    After going through the same deliberations I chose to let my son shoot a Swede. It has plenty of power with a mild recoil. Its only drawback is that it is expensive to feed unless you are a reloader.Attachment 54640

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 2 View Post
    Was looking for a youth rifle for my 10 year old. One dealer handed me a ruger scout rifle and said it will grow with him. The removeable spacers, being a 308, being able to get 5 round mags, multiple sighting posibilities. This was one rifle I never thought of let alone as a youth rifle. It fit my 5' 10 year old well as well as my 6' 14 year old. Price was a bit more than I was looking at but do not need to buy a youth rifle then upgrade in 4 or 5 years either. Was worried about the 16' barrel but my oldest shoots a 30/30 so not a worry really. Really opened my eyes as I am kind of traditional when to comes to hunting rifles.
    The idea of this as a family rifle makes a lot of sense to me. My youngest was able to handle the rifle better than the traditional youth rifles and his mom can fit it as well. I would pack it around where I leave my main rifle home(wieght and size). The oldest will be able to use it even though he is enamored with his grandpas 30/30.
    I am leaning towards this rifle but also would like feedback. Thanks.
    It wouldn't be a bad choice. if you could, handload a nice 125 grain bullet with cheap surplus brass for target practicing all day long. His future shooting skill could benefit from such low recoil target loads that will allow him to shoot all day for dirt cheap. when the time comes for a hunt, a 150 grain premium should do well. When I was 10, I target practiced with my grandfather's savage 99 with surplus ammo. I shot it until there was no ammo left. great memories! My only concern is the short barrel. The muzzle blast will be severe as I used to own shoot a 16 in. barreled ruger. I also owned a 16 inch barrelled 7600 pump rifle. You'll certainly loose a bit of velocity. If you are dead set on the ruger, consider the compact magnum chambered for 308. If that isn't possible, also consider the winchester model 70 bolt action compact. here is a link to both rifles that you might consider.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535126
    http://ruger.com/products/m77RugerCo...um/models.html

The open sights on the compact magnum ruger are a real plus! 20in. barrel + a 308 winchester=winning combo!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    After going through the same deliberations I chose to let my son shoot a Swede. It has plenty of power with a mild recoil. Its only drawback is that it is expensive to feed unless you are a reloader.Attachment 54640
    My most recent 6.5 is a Carl Gustav (Swede) You can get plenty of cheap ammo. Not like a 308 or 223 but less than a buck a round. I use the Prvi Partisan for plinking, $15 a box at Cabella's.

6.5x55 is a fine gun. Here is another option...great trigger, shoots good and you can buy a ton of ammo for what you save over the Ruger Scout. 7mm/08 is a fine caliber for a 10 year old or an 80 year old. Wouldn't be my first choice for big bear but it will work on everything else and won't beat your son and wife to a pulp. The 308 kicks about like my Remington 700 in .30-06. Put 2-7x Leupold or whatever and you are set.

Marlin Model XS7

The XS7 has been built for those who demand premium features at a fair price. Noteworthy features include our adjustable Pro-Fire™ trigger system, Soft-Tech™ recoil pad, fluted bolt for speed and smoothness, a pillar bedded stock for accuracy and recessed "target style" muzzle crown Price right, the XS7 is a rifle that you can be proud of at a price you can afford.

Calibers 7mm-.08 Order Online from Gallery of Guns
    243 Win. Order Online from Gallery of Guns
    308 Win. Order Online from Gallery of Guns
    Capacity 4+1
    Action Centerfire bolt action, Pro-FireTM adjustable trigger system; fluted bolt; two-position safety; red cocking indicator
    Stock Pillar-bedded black synthetic with raised cheek piece and Soft-Tech™ recoil pad
    Barrel 22” precision button rifled, target crown (6 grooves)
    Twist Rate 7mm-08 - 1:9.5” r.h., 243 Win. - 1:10” r.h., 308 Win. - 1:12” r.h.
    Sights/Scope No sights provided. One-piece scope base included
    Overall Length 42 1/2"
    Weight 6¼ - 6¾ lbs

I've been going through the same motions, trying to find a decent youth centerfire for a small framed 10yr old. I've also got the added bonus of a left eye dominant kid which makes the pickin' even slimmer.

I have looked at the Ruger Scout in the left hand version- about the only short left hand I can find but I'm not crazy about the detachable mag, muzzle brake and all the other junk. A regular stock rifle is much too large and will be for some time. I've also looked at the Compact Magnum- not quite as short and not available (in left hand) in .308. I've used the "scout rifle" concept quite a bit in years gone by and liked it alot.

As much as I don't like the detachable mag, it might make a nifty way for Dad to manage the ammo by keeping the mag in a pocket until junior is ready to shoot something.

I think Mainer is onto something with the 125gr loaded slower to reduce the recoil and muzzle blast to manageble levels.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Handling a rifle, looking at it, and SHOOTING it, are very different things.

My understanding of the purpose for a so-called "Scout Rifle" is that it can double for Military use. 308 Military Cartridge, Large capacity Magazine, various sighting options, flash suppressor, and the ability to hang a buncha garbage on it.

IMO, that Scout Rifle is too heavy for a youth, or me. Probably largely due to all the unneeded paraphernalia attached.

The combination of 308 coupled with a short barrel would make for some very unpleasant shooting, making it a poor choice for a "Youth Rifle".

For what it's worth, my personal preference for your purposes would be the Vanguard Youth Rifle, that has TWO different length stocks, in 7mm-08.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There's some really reasonable priced 6.5 x 55 hunting ammunition out there. Nosler Custom, for example is around $30 or so per box. Remington, Federal, Winchester etc all make ammunition in this cartridge. Sportsman's in Anchorage carries several manufacturers so it's out there. Higher end ammunition can be found also at Wild West Guns and Great Northern too. It's a great cartridge and I would definitely look seriously at the 6.5. It's what I chose for my son. And if the length of pull is a little long, simply have a smith trim it down to better fit your son which will help him to shoot it better and more comfortably. Then later put a full stock to fit him better. CZ currently makes a 6.5 and also replacement stocks. Great Northern Gunscarries CZ. Great gun, great cartridge IMHO. (To answer your question though I wouldn't go the .308 in the Ruger simply for the weight of the rifle and significant recoil. When your son is a little older I think it would be something to look at. They are sort of intriguing I admit.
    Last edited by 377PFA; 10-31-2011 at 15:01. Reason: Forgot some info

CZ's are great guns but my 550 American in 6.5x55 with a scope weights darn near 10 lbs. It is a joy to shoot and the single set trigger is wonderful, but it is a bear to haul around.

Lowrider - I had to check on CZ's website on the weight of the 550's after you said yours weighs in at a wopping 10 lbs! They come in at 8 lbs without optics so you are probably right on the money. I had to check because to me they just don't carry like they weigh that much. There are lighter guns out there for sure - I toyed with the idea of getting a Sako Finnlight in 6.5 for that reason for my son but I already had the CZ 6.5. Now, that doesn't say I still don't yearn for the Finnlight!

THere is always the Tikka T3, shoot good, nice trigger and they are much lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    THere is always the Tikka T3, shoot good, nice trigger and they are much lighter.
    I've had a T3 and it was a great rifle for the money...with a LOP that's much too long for a youth stock.

When I think "youth rifle" I think along the lines of a 12" to 12.75" LOP to fit young shooters with short arms and torsos.

Ahhh, Shucky Gee, no maker other than Vanguard sells a rifle that COMES with TWO STOCKS. When the kid grows, and they usually do, just put the longer one on.

How can you get more Versi-TILE than that?

Besides, it's a gooder gun than any CZ or Tika.

Smiddy uv da Nawrth
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    As much as I don't like the detachable mag, it might make a nifty way for Dad to manage the ammo by keeping the mag in a pocket until junior is ready to shoot something.

I see they now have polymer 3, 5 and 10 round mags for the Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've been going through the same motions, trying to find a decent youth centerfire for a small framed 10yr old. I've also got the added bonus of a left eye dominant kid which makes the pickin' even slimmer.

I have looked at the Ruger Scout in the left hand version- about the only short left hand I can find but I'm not crazy about the detachable mag, muzzle brake and all the other junk. A regular stock rifle is much too large and will be for some time. I've also looked at the Compact Magnum- not quite as short and not available (in left hand) in .308. I've used the "scout rifle" concept quite a bit in years gone by and liked it alot.

I think Mainer is onto something with the 125gr loaded slower to reduce the recoil and muzzle blast to manageble levels.
    Savage makes a lefty youth short action. http://www.gunsamerica.com/946143404..._handed_30.htm

Accutrigger, left bolt, 22" barrel available in .223, .243, 7mm-08, and .308 Wont win any beauty contests but I bet it will shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Ahhh, Shucky Gee, no maker other than Vanguard sells a rifle that COMES with TWO STOCKS. When the kid grows, and they usually do, just put the longer one on.

How can you get more Versi-TILE than that?

Besides, it's a gooder gun than any CZ or Tika.

Smiddy uv da Nawrth
    Howa and Vanguard are good guns but NOT gooder. Now that you mention Howa. I think they make a nice little Ranchland carbine or the youth model as follows

HWR66104+ .223Rem 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66204+ .243 Win. 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66304+ .308 Win. 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66404+ 22-250Rem 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66504+ .204 Ruger 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66104+ .223Rem 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66204+ .243 Win. 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66304+ .308 Win. 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    HWR66404+ 22-250Rem 20” #1 12.62” 39.25” 6.95 lbs $745.00
    that is retail price not street price.

Howa does, their 1500 comes with a youth stock and an adult stock. .223 .22-250 .243 7mm08 and 308 available. Weighs 6.4lbs and as accurate as a Weatherby Vanguard because they make the vanguard for Weatherby.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Howa does, their 1500 comes with a youth stock and an adult stock. .223 .22-250 .243 7mm08 and 308 available. Weighs 6.4lbs and as accurate as a Weatherby Vanguard because they make the vanguard for Weatherby.
    Reely?? I thought that Weatherby only used Howa Actions for the Vanguards.

Anyhoo, don't the Vanguards have better stocks? (Better Design)

Obviously, I didn't know that Howa made TWO stock youth rifles.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts, really appreciated. From the moment my kids were born I promised myself they would not shoot too big of guns too early like I did, but found myself justifying it. If my youngest is like my oldest he will be able to handle a full size rifle in 2 or 3 years. It is hard to wait for them to grow up when they are so eager. Maybe a youth rifle is best and then pass it down to nieces and nephews or it can be used as a light handy packaround rifle. Thanks again.

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast