Thread: Homer 10/28/11 NO fish for me... but as always a crazy day!

Default Homer 10/28/11 NO fish for me... but as always a crazy day!

So I leave the house at 5:30am. It's definitely getting colder!

But the roads are dry so no problem...I thought! After I cross the twenty mile river bridge, my car starts wobbling. At first I thought it was the wind. But no, its different. Do I have a flat? No...then what the heck could it be? Then i see a thick bank of fog. OH OH..NOT GOOD...it's BLACK ICE! If you know the Whittier turn off, you know the lanes are divided there. I hit the brakes knowing I have my trusty anti lock brakes and...NOTHING! The car didn't slow down one little bit. After about 100 yards I would guess, I have it down to 35 mph. I am IMPRESSED with the Civic Si's traction control. Well too impressed, that's what let me drive so fast on black ice in the first place!

As the lanes divide, there is NO WAY I am going to make the corner. So do I slam into the poles and signs in the divider and risk impaling myself on a post? I don't rally care about the car at this point. I have time so I look ahead and nothing is coming, I turn the wheel slightly to the left and I take the corner in the wrong lane! I'm driving south....One life down...eight left...

NOT good. But I make it. I pull over check the road and it is a skating rink. After regaining my composure, I head back down the road going abot 25mph. I don't make it more than 400 yards when I come across a truck in the ditch with headlights on and still running.

I jump out holler a few times and then dial 911. The operator said they were talking to the driver who had been picked up a few minutes earlier. I did see vehicles parked at a parking pull off earlier. I hope he is alright.

As soon we get off turnagain arm, the roads are fine. Well the roads are fine but once I hit Ninilchik, a cow moose jumps in front of me. By the time I hit my brakes, the moose was behind me. 2 lives down, 7 left.

Oh yeah, this is a fishing forum. Well that's simple, I started at 11:00am finished at 5:30pm and caught NOTHING...well two pollock but that doesn't count.

I had one good take down but it didn't stick the fish. I thought the consolation was that I spoke with a few boats and only one boat had one fish. Okay, it's slow for everyone. Then I get in my car and check my email. The webmaster of another board emails me and says, I guess you didn't go today. My buddy Shane hammered two nice ones at the quart of gas hole (where I was fishing). WHAT?!?!?!?! No way! Well he had the pics to prove it. I did see a boat out there by itself after I left that area and was headed in.

The bad news is I didn't catch any.
    The good news is the fish are apparently still in the area.

So the video for today is merely a boring video of the conditions. The wide angle gopro lens does not do the wave size justice.
    Here' the vid. Once again there isn't much to see. But I know there are folks who are interested in the type of conditions a yak can handle. While fun, I wasn't at all concerned. This was fairly normal water when we were fishing Deep Creek area in the spring.

While I didn't get any salmon, I did manage three snowshoe hares. Unfortunately it was with my car... there sure are a lot of them this year! Sorry bunnies.....

So today was a day to bank the hours, and waste 2 of my 9 lives. People often ask what the most dangerous part of kayaking is. My answer has always been "the drive down!"

Got to keep at it! I'll be back!!!!!

Thanks for the entertaining story, glad everyone made it home ok. I always enjoy reading your post, your an animal. Not too many guys would actually do what you do. Wouldnt surprise me one bit to see you out there in feb pushing the bergs out of yr way to get to yr spot. Dont do it, want to have you around to keep reading yr post.

I'm hoping to join the yak club next season with my sons. Too much on my plate this year with hny do list. Keep at it but stay safe brother.

Quote Originally Posted by jnct View Post
    Thanks for the entertaining story, glad everyone made it home ok. I always enjoy reading your post, your an animal. Not too many guys would actually do what you do. Wouldnt surprise me one bit to see you out there in feb pushing the bergs out of yr way to get to yr spot. Dont do it, want to have you around to keep reading yr post.

I'm hoping to join the yak club next season with my sons. Too much on my plate this year with hny do list. Keep at it but stay safe brother.
    What? are you crazy?!?! You can't troll through this!!! I should have dropped a line...my sonar was marking fish!!! lol.

I was actually at a friends vow renewal ceremony near blackstone glacier out of Whittier...lol. Beautiful area! I almost went back to get my rods out of the support boat only to catch my buddies already using it from the boat! Hahaha.

Thanks for your reply! It really is as safe as you want to make it. Let me know when you gear up! These kayaks are a fish catchin' machine!!!!!

here's the original thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...kstone+wedding

LOL! As we (Cliffhanger) and I were heading back in around the Spit we talked about how we hoped you were pulling your 'yak out of the water on the Condo side. It was pretty nasty when you got past Lands End!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Kardinal...where did you nail those bunnies?

Hey Muttley! It was definitely sporty! But my kayak handled it great. I'll buy those secrets from ya!!! You tell me what ya need and if it's a fair trade, I'm always in. You know my fishing obsession so it's almost not fair since you can pretty much demand anything from me for good info!

As far as the bunnies, the most I see are between Kasilof and anchor point. A bit by sterling as well. They are everywhere. I will say last week half were half white. This week all the ones I saw were mainly white. Easy pickins!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting story, thanks for sharing!

Default Rudy Off The Spit

Here he is, that freak we know and love...Kardinal_84!

;-{)

Attachment 54687

We were out there on Friday too Kardinal. At one point we tried to catch you to see how you were doing but I guess you can troll faster than we do as you kept getting further and further away. We only ended up with a couple butts and one tiny King. It was my first King though so I was happy and she sure tasted good on the BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    We were out there on Friday too Kardinal. At one point we tried to catch you to see how you were doing but I guess you can troll faster than we do as you kept getting further and further away. We only ended up with a couple butts and one tiny King. It was my first King though so I was happy and she sure tasted good on the BBQ.
    Throttle up next time and say hello!!! It's hard to toss the little ones back. They seem every bit as tasty as the big ones. It's going to be hard to eat river kings after having these! I haven't caught a hAlibut down there but I think it's cool you can still hook them up as a bonus fish this late in the year.

I'm amazed at how efficient the hobie mirge pedal drives are. I'm no jock and I stayed out 6 hours trolling around. I will say this Friday was strenuous since usually I get a few breaks when I'm landing fish. But even for a pack a day smoker like me (gotta gotta stop!!!!) I can go 6 hours at effective trolling speed. You can't beat the fuel consumed....two snickers bar and a Gatorade. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Here he is, that freak we know and love...Kardinal_84!

;-{)

Attachment 54687
    How did I miss this! Great to see ya on the water cliffhanger! Very nice boat! One of these days I am going to try and pick a day and cross to the other side. Preferably on a day with decent afternoon winds from any direction but North so I can use my sail to get back. the only problem with using a sail is you get a bit cold since your activity can keep you warm. It will pull you along at a decent trolling speed. Maybe a tad too fast!

I can't wait to get this completely. A time or two more and depending on the intel, if the fish aren't close, then I better go far. Wouldn't mind trying the bluff area or just head to the other side across from the spit.