Thread: Wives and sheep hunting

Default Wives and sheep hunting

How many of you put your wives in for sheep tags without telling them? I have noticed not to many guys talkign about there wives going sheep hunting. Well last year I did and plan on doing it again, but wonder what she will say when I tell her hey you were drawn for a sheep tag will she look at me like I'm crazy or be heck yeah lets do it. My wife is up for anything but I do not want to break her off and ruin her from hunting the tags I put her in for are somewhat easy hunts ( no sheep hunt is easy) but they are relatively close to home. SO the questions is are your wives up for it when you do tell them or are they uh no your crazy dont even bother dragging me up the hill.

Sheep is the #1 thing that my wife is excited about applying for. She puts in for moose and caribou, but looks at those as meat hunts (which they are). Sheep is what she loves and is most excited about, though we also had a pretty fun goat hunt together (unsuccessful...which makes her itch to give it another try). My wife's first hunt ever with me was a sheep hunt, and while she didn't pull the trigger it most certainly got her hooked on the mountains. We're planning a fly-out hunt next year if we don't draw on our party applications.

If your wife does draw, let's do dinner and I'd bet that my wife can sell yours on the merits of sheep hunting. Sometimes it takes one woman to convince another.

I never skip a chance to brag on my wife...

Very true Brian for some reason talking to another women helps, They never listen to us go figure and another reason to buy another rifle LOL yes dear you need a Kimber montanan in a 270 WSM LOL.

I enjoy when you brag about your wife too. She's a beautiful woman you should be very happy to have a hunting partner like that.

I'll toss my wife in for Tok and the any ram unit 13 tag. She heads to the hills too but I have to really tone down the tough guy routine and start talking a little more.

My wife never showed an interest in sheep hunting so no applications in her name have ever been submitted there. She is much more interested in moose and caribou hunting, I am happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sheep is the #1 thing that my wife is excited about applying for. .
    You lucky, lucky, lucky man....count that blessing every day.

My wife would sooner have dental work done than go on a sheep hunt, but I like her too much to trade- so I keep tryin'.

My wife wants to kill a sheep really, really bad !!!!...... she's in probably better shape than I am, But......... someone has to watch the kids, while I'm gone sheephuntin'......

I put everybody, in the family for sheep tags, if they get drawn,....they're going !!!!......wether they like it or not !!!

After looking at pics from some of my sheep hunts my wife is all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    My wife wants to kill a sheep really, really bad !!!!...... she's in probably better shape than I am, But......... someone has to watch the kids, while I'm gone sheephuntin'......

I put everybody, in the family for sheep tags, if they get drawn,....they're going !!!!......wether they like it or not !!!
    That's funny! Me too. If I teach em anything it will be how to roam in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That's funny! Me too. If I teach em anything it will be how to roam in the mountains.
    I figure if I can build a passion for the mountains into my children they will repay me with a lighter pack and a few more years in the high country when I am an old man.

I just put in for the standard caribou and moose tags for my wife and daughter... this has got me thinking... "but you have to go! once in a lifetime sheep hunt!". Definitely an easy excuse to take them and climb a mountain. Perhaps I'll put them in for the sheep hunts I put in for too.

Really, I don't see how to get my 12 yr old daughter listed for the draws. They want a Drivers and Hunting license. How would I do this? I'd really enjoy taking her into the hills for some sheep action.

I believe DL is optional.

Really, I don't see how to get my 12 yr old daughter listed for the draws. They want a Drivers and Hunting license. How would I do this? I'd really enjoy taking her into the hills for some sheep action.
    For hunting license number you just put in her age in the following format: AGE12 (or AGE 12...I can't remember if there's a space or not). No driver's license number is required.

with hunter safety kids can apply for thier own tags at age 10
    Galen will be putting in for a caribou and 2 cow moose hunts.
    Louise will put in for caribou and our local cow hunt, but i don't just "put her in" for anything without asking....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For hunting license number you just put in her age in the following format: AGE12 (or AGE 12...I can't remember if there's a space or not). No driver's license number is required.
    Don't even need to do that, the sytem picks it up when you put in their birthdate. Put my 10 year old in, and my daughter who's nine, but will be 10 by the time the respective hunt begins.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Talking

Admittedly, it certainly seemed a bit confusing for me at first too. I didn't think about the 9 year olds turning 10 by the next year, my middle one is 8, will be 9 next year... I'll definitely be putting him in for some hunts a year from now!

I put my wife in. She drew one of the coveted local hunts, but then hurt her back this spring and couldn't hunt. She was quite surprised to see her name on the lucky list, then felt bad about not being able to hunt and wished she could have given the tag back so someone else could hunt. She loves to hunt and couldn't do the annual moose hunt this year either. She's been getting steroid shots that seem to be helping. Hopefully, she'll be back to 100% by next fall, but she probably won't ever draw another sheep tag.