Thread: Elk in southeast

Default Elk in southeast

I'm looking for a place to go elk hunting in 2012 I don't know much about where to hunt in southeast whether to go with a draw hunt or registraton or HT. I don't need a monster just a desent bull and I don't want to pay a arm and a leg for the hunt. If anyone knows a good area to go for elk that their willing to share I'd appreciate it.

Put in for the Afognak tags... Thats your best bet for an Elk...

I know of now Alaskan Elk hunt that does not cost an arm and a leg. Or at least an arm and half a leg. You are either flying in or boating in so unless you own a float plane or a live on board boat - or have friends that do - you will be spending some money.

Unit 3 has the most options for Elk so I would guess that in Southeast Etolin Island would be the best bet. Units 1 and 2 just say "elk" so if you find any elk you can take one of any gender. If you find one that is.

Don't put yourself through the misery.

Has anyone scored on any of the registration hunts for elk because I was hoping not to have to draw a tag since I have the worse luck when it comes to draw tags! I am willing to charter a flight or a boat, which ever one will do better for the hunt

November Etolin has a registration hunt.

If you own a seiner or king crabber you might get in on a November Etolin hunt. The weather is not too pretty that time of year in Clarence.

DE321 had %22 and DE323 had %28 of people who applied drew a tag for etolin, those are pretty high odds for a draw hunt, it might take a couple of years but its worth a shot

Default Combo

I'd go in there and do a combo hunt with the DE318 tag (oct rifle) I'd fly in early and chase alpine deer and scout for the elk the end of Sept. Then Oct. 1 hopefully would find me with a full meat pile and just seeking out a bull. Expensive, complicated, and risky is how I would sum up this hunt. Not unlike any other hunt really but Etolin is really a thick and rugged place.

A big SE Elk is a bragging animal for sure. More 40" rams get taken each year in Alaska I'd wager.

I put in for that tag every year and if I won it I'd cringe a little in pain.

I'm cringing a little right now. I did draw the DE318 tag this year. I love climbing up mountains but not as much coming down. I will fly into one of the local lakes and try to hunt for about 10 days.

I drew the DE323 tag this year and plan on flying into mchenry lake on floats. From what I've been reading it sounds like hunting in the high country is the best way to go. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickeen View Post
    If you own a seiner or king crabber you might get in on a November Etolin hunt. The weather is not too pretty that time of year in Clarence.

haha, I was thinking the same thing. You might get lucky and get a weather window to get there without a pound.. but the return might hurt a little! Short days too!