Thread: Memorial Day Kings

Default Memorial Day Kings

Usually on Memorial Day the family goes to Anchor Point to fish...well I have a river boat now (70 HP/Jet) and really don't feel like 'doing more of the same'.

I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend somewhere to take the boat to fish for Kings early in the season...I'm still researching and learning the rivers, etc. and have found little in the forums with my recent searches.

If you don't want to post, please feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance...I'm not looking for your special fishing hole - just a place to go instead of the Anchor where I can use my new boat.

Worse comes to worse I suppose I can just plan on going bear hunting instead if I can't find any Kings.

You can always hit the Deska but be prepared for crowds.

Took my first king of the year on the Litlte Su on May 12 a couple of years ago. Definitely not going to be hot and heavy, but they will be there.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard alot about the Deska and will most likely be on the water following a few people up/down the river. It should be fun learning how and where to fish all over again - I'm glad we have the archives still posted on this website.

Deska is a peice of cake Im hoping to follow someone to the Yetna

Getting to the Yetna is a piece of cake, finding the shortcut and reading the channels to Alexander was a little hair raising. Not to mention watching 2 boats run aground on the return trip.

Ah ya guys stole my thunder either the deshka or the little su will have fish. I cant wait I'm going nuts with cabin fever.

akbighorn

One on the Yetna is it pretty much deep water?

I couldn't actually answer that. I have been to and past but not up. If I remember what I have heard correctly, it is alot easier to navagate most of the Yetna compared to the Big Sue. I suppose because it doesn't sprawl out so much. Also seems like I heard people are less concerned running the Yetna with a prop as well, although I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info

I'd go the the little su or alexander creek when I worked on the talichuitna we didn't see a king till the 5th of june
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Memorial Day weekend is prime time for trolling offshore near Anchor Point. Your boat should be great for that. If the water's decent you can go grab a couple Halibut. Then you can do some midnight fishing on the Anchor or Ninilchik, too.

The 5th of June there should have been lots of Kings in and through Alexander. This was our catch on the 11th last year at the Deshka. Nothing huge but lots of fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Then on the 13th there were some nicer fish. This is one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking fish!

I went to the gate house on the Deshka today and looked around. I'm debating on the season pass - I may not get it due to only being able to 'sticker' one vehicle and having to pay $7 for any extra vehicles that go with you (unless it's your spouse). You would think that two parking spots means you get TWO parking spots free of charge...oh well.

I looked at the map on the wall and decided to get some maps to review and mark notes on here at home till I get to hit the water...Glad that its supposed to get to the 30's or 40's next week in the valley!