Thread: Winter hunts 2012

Default Winter hunts 2012

After going through the draw supplement looks like the 20A winter moose registration hunts are going bye bye. for 2012.

i bet it goes to a year-by-year basis......they'll evaluate after the general season then decide what/when/where/how much to open....kinda like this year

In the supplament all those winter registration hunts are now draw hunts right down to the exact same zones as the registration hunts.

I noticed that. Three options now per area, starting earlier and ending later. I'm also not seeing the restriction of no bulls if you draw a cow tag. They specify it for the FMA tags, but not for the 20A tags.

I wish they would let us put in for 6 moose options now with how much they spread apart the unit 20A and B drawings. It would mean a little more revenue for the state, and a few more chances for each of us.

I agree having 6 options for moose would be great there is a new hunt for the valley too DM 412 and a new unit 13 any bull permit DM 325 but drawing that will be hard with only 10 tags proposed. There are several moose tags I would love to put in for but being limited to 3 really have to decide. But I already what I will put in for myself and my wife and daughter in for others.

We'll spread our options around too. I'll probably put in for the archery tags around Fairbanks and maybe an anterless tag in the flats. I'll have my daughter put in for three, and we'll get the rest of the family to put in for their fare share. I like the idea of the mid August cow tags in the flats though. Last year our area had about 400 applicants, and now they are talking 300 tags, so hopefully the odds are good.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I agree having 6 options for moose would be great there is a new hunt for the valley too DM 412 and a new unit 13 any bull permit DM 325 but drawing that will be hard with only 10 tags proposed. There are several moose tags I would love to put in for but being limited to 3 really have to decide. .
    Yep, me too. I'm feeling very conflicted this year. We did the Tier I gig last year, but might not this time around, so then moose becomes the big question. With the new 14A and 13 hunts, my normal applications get thrown into disarray. 6 choices might not help any single person's odds that much, but man, it sure would make my decisions easier.

If I could get the DM 412 tag heck I could sit here at my house with my bow and wait for a cow to wander through my back yard cause I sit right in the middle of that unit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, me too. I'm feeling very conflicted this year. We did the Tier I gig last year, but might not this time around, so then moose becomes the big question. With the new 14A and 13 hunts, my normal applications get thrown into disarray. 6 choices might not help any single person's odds that much, but man, it sure would make my decisions easier.
    The other option put in for the draw caribou for unit 13... Hit me up I can give you some intel on that as well

The other option put in for the draw caribou for unit 13... Hit me up I can give you some intel on that as well
    Yep, that'll be the route we take if we don't do the Tier I. I was curious what the draw rates looked like last year, as it seemed like a lot of folks on here won the drawing permits. Most of the tags were around 10%, which certainly isn't bad. As for intel, caribou in Unit 13 is one of the few things I know reasonably well...it's moose that gives me fits. The guaranteed tag sure is nice, but man, I'd rather not be locked into 13 for moose. It worked out nicely this year with caribou, though, and until our boys get a bit bigger one caribou is a decent amount of meat for us.

........ and a new unit 13 any bull permit DM 325 but drawing that will be hard with only 10 tags proposed.
    Correction 323! That is an antlerless tag.

Yep, that'll be the route we take if we don't do the Tier I. I was curious what the draw rates looked like last year, as it seemed like a lot of folks on here won the drawing permits. Most of the tags were around 10%, which certainly isn't bad. As for intel, caribou in Unit 13 is one of the few things I know reasonably well...it's moose that gives me fits. The guaranteed tag sure is nice, but man, I'd rather not be locked into 13 for moose. It worked out nicely this year with caribou, though, and until our boys get a bit bigger one caribou is a decent amount of meat for us.
    That's kinda my thought process, as well. The only difference is my only child is a month old so the meat would be good for the wife and I. I really would like to bag a Ram next year so I'm planning on the Tier I route and HOPE I draw one of the unit 13 moose tags. If not, I'm not gonna be that upset. Especially when you can do the Tier I in a day, it won't really take up that much of the season for anything else. With it being a genuine meat hunt, I'm not too concerned with taking a few days to get in there and do it, either. Get in, get out, back to sheep.

With all that being said - the thought of the legal bull that walked up on me while duck hunting this year in unit 14 is the only thing bugging me about Tier I. That, and some of the places I'm looking at hunting sheep are good caribou spots as well. I love when it's time to put in for tags, but it seems to create a lot of stress. Seems like, since the successful draw rates are so low, we'd go with a sure thing, but it's not that easy!!

To Tier I or not to Tier I, that is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post

With all that being said - the thought of the legal bull that walked up on me while duck hunting this year in unit 14 is the only thing bugging me about Tier I. That, and some of the places I'm looking at hunting sheep are good caribou spots as well. I love when it's time to put in for tags, but it seems to create a lot of stress. Seems like, since the successful draw rates are so low, we'd go with a sure thing, but it's not that easy!!

To Tier I or not to Tier I, that is the question...
    I had the same situation in Unit 14 this year. On our way back from a successful Tier I caribou trip we passed a spike standing 20 yards off the side of the road during the early archery season. It would have been the easiest harvest imaginable and I most certainly would have had my bow in the truck if I was legally allowed to pursue moose, but no dice.

Like you said, I get all excited about looking at the new supplement, but soon that excitement is replaced by anxiety. What to do? It's a nice problem to have, though.

I had the same situation in Unit 14 this year. On our way back from a successful Tier I caribou trip we passed a spike standing 20 yards off the side of the road during the early archery season. It would have been the easiest harvest imaginable and I most certainly would have had my bow in the truck if I was legally allowed to pursue moose, but no dice.

Like you said, I get all excited about looking at the new supplement, but soon that excitement is replaced by anxiety. What to do? It's a nice problem to have, though.
    Agreed. I almost want to wait until around Christmas to fill it out. If I do it Tuesday, then it'll be 3 1/2 months of waiting. At least if I do it around Christmas, it'll only be 2 months...

With my luck, this will be the year I draw 3 tags - NONE of which will be sheep. I'd feel obligated to hunt what I drew since other people would love the opportunity, and sheep will have to wait another year. Ah the anxiety...

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Correction 323! That is an antlerless tag.
    Thanks for the correction...