Thread: Thanks mike reardon for saving my plane

Default Thanks mike reardon for saving my plane

I was stuck up in Los Anchorage for a couple days for a family emergency. (yuck)
    Before leaving I turned my Float Cub into the prevailing 31 knots winds coming from the east (the head of Kachemak Bay) where all the storm winds come from this time of year.
    The next morning I received a cell phone call from Mike Reardon, a local C-180 pilot, saying that my plane was being hammered by 42 knots gusts which were now coming from the opposite end of the lake. Thus my tail feathers were banging like crazy and my aileron gust locks had come loose and were floating around the lake. Mike went down to that slippery frost-covered dock and got my plane turned around and tied her up into the wind.
    Today half the people I ran into here in Homer mentioned seeing my plane taking a beating and even mentioned that flight service had been notified to call me.
    I know the folks at flight service and all the other folks who mentioned it today. None of whom called....
    But as for "Mike" the C-180 pilot who saved my plane..... I don't think I have really ever talked with him...
    He can drink out of my canteen anytime...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I was stuck up in Los Anchorage for a couple days for a family emergency. (yuck)
    Before leaving I turned my Float Cub into the prevailing 31 knots winds coming from the east (the head of Kachemak Bay) where all the storm winds come from this time of year.
    The next morning I received a cell phone call from Mike Reardon, a local C-180 pilot, saying that my plane was being hammered by 42 knots gusts which were now coming from the opposite end of the lake. Thus my tail feathers were banging like crazy and my aileron gust locks had come loose and were floating around the lake. Mike went down to that slippery frost-covered dock and got my plane turned around and tied her up into the wind.
    Today half the people I ran into here in Homer mentioned seeing my plane taking a beating and even mentioned that flight service had been notified to call me.
    I know the folks at flight service and all the other folks who mentioned it today. None of whom called....
    But as for "Mike" the C-180 pilot who saved my plane..... I don't think I have really ever talked with him...
    He can drink out of my canteen anytime...
    And mine !!! A true Alaskan of the old style . . .

Great to here the code is not dead.

By the way, his name is actually spelled Rearden. I have been burning the candle at both ends and the middle so I am making lots of mistakes these days.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sounds like he needs a case of beer Glad to know folks are still watching out for each other these days.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've met Mike. He's a somewhat recent transplant from Bethel. Worked for F&W Service. His Dad is Jim Rearden.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Mike sure sounds like a real stand-up human being! I honor what he did for Float Pilot so I hesitate to take any of the focus off of Mike's good work, since he deserves the praise.

Yet I wonder what's up with all the other folks who didn't call, who didn't go down to the dock, who didn't help Mike with saving the plane. Surely it would have been an easier task with a little help in all that wind. There are good people everywhere but there's something really wrong when we must rely on strangers, not because they're the only ones around, but because our friends and neighbors won't step up!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Mike sure sounds like a real stand-up human being! I honor what he did for Float Pilot so I hesitate to take any of the focus off of Mike's good work, since he deserves the praise.

Yet I wonder what's up with all the other folks who didn't call, who didn't go down to the dock, who didn't help Mike with saving the plane. Surely it would have been an easier task with a little help in all that wind. There are good people everywhere but there's something really wrong when we must rely on strangers, not because they're the only ones around, but because our friends and neighbors won't step up!
    I have a handful of pilot friends whom I'd trust to move my plane. Outside of those guys, I prefer "strangers" to leave it alone. My friends will attend to it if it requires attending to. No criticism of the gentleman in the OP. Just responding to the quoted post.